Islamizing Indonesia

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Unwelcome news from Indonesia.... sha'ria continues to spread its hateful oppression across the globe..

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/02/news/edvatik.php

Amid global fears about the spread of Islamic militancy, the last thing anyone wants to hear about is creeping fundamentalism in Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim nation. But these fears have become more palpable in recent weeks.

Indonesia's highest Muslim body has issued religious edicts banning mixed marriages, religious pluralism and interfaith prayers. A series of attacks has forced the closure of Christian churches. And in the province of Aceh, where the government has reached an agreement with the pro-independence movement to end a long-running insurgency, a woman was publicly flogged and more than a dozen men have been caned in the past three months for breaching newly introduced Shariah, or Islamic law.

Some Indonesians are worried about the trend this pattern of events suggests. As many as seven districts in Indonesia, from West Java to South Sulawesi and Madura, already have enforced some kind of Shariah, something they can do under Indonesia's wide-ranging autonomy law.

The liberal Muslim scholar Syafi'i Anwar complains about what he calls the "creeping Shariah-ization of Indonesia." He frets that the country's political leadership is paying no attention.......
Continue Article At Link

NATO AIR said:
Unwelcome news from Indonesia.... sha'ria continues to spread its hateful oppression across the globe..

And the political will of the US is spiraling down. This WOT is going to be prolonged because of internal divisions here and there is no telling what the ultimate price will be.

Kathianne said:
And the political will of the US is spiraling down. This WOT is going to be prolonged because of internal divisions here and there is no telling what the ultimate price will be.

I do think in the long-term, there is hope. Because eventually, these laws fail to retain the support of the people. So if Indonesia's economy continues to improve and further modernize, there is real hope that this will only be a temporary problem in a place like Indonesia or Malaysia, heck even Tunisia or Jordan.

Its just going to be a dark few years though....

NATO AIR said:
I do think in the long-term, there is hope. Because eventually, these laws fail to retain the support of the people. So if Indonesia's economy continues to improve and further modernize, there is real hope that this will only be a temporary problem in a place like Indonesia or Malaysia, heck even Tunisia or Jordan.

Its just going to be a dark few years though....

Unfortunately this is not the way it works. Look at Islamic strongholds, they do not encourage economic improvement for the people.

Kathianne said:
Unfortunately this is not the way it works. Look at Islamic strongholds, they do not encourage economic improvement for the people.

Thus far, the economic reports i've seen from Indonesia are encouraging... we'll see if that changes...

The problem with Indonesia is, that allthough it is the largest Muslim country
http://www.aneki.com/muslim.html

the western world has no eye on it except australia.
Sharia in Indonesia is bad and it doesn't deserve Indonesia, as the biggest country, as a model for other Muslim countries.

Terrorist orgnaizations like Jemaah Islamia have there good tactics/training capabilities in the jungle.

canavar said:
The problem with Indonesia is, that allthough it is the largest Muslim country
http://www.aneki.com/muslim.html

the western world has no eye on it except australia.
Sharia in Indonesia is bad and it doesn't deserve Indonesia, as the biggest country, as a model for other Muslim countries.

Terrorist orgnaizations like Jemaah Islamia have there good tactics/training capabilities in the jungle.

That is true about sharia.
I had read that many analysts were saying Jemaah Islamia was weakened severly, I wonder if that is not a serious overstatement in light of the growing feeding pool they have from their own nation and experience in Iraq and Afghanistan waging jihad.

Forum List

Back