Is this racist?

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses -- chicagotribune.com

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses​
Ebony Experiment encourages other African-Americans to do the same
By Ted Gregory | Tribune reporter
March 9, 2009

Buying black

John and Maggie Anderson read a bedtime story to their children Cori, 2, and Cara, 3, at their Oak Park home on March 2, 2009. The family is conducting what they call the "Ebony Experiment", spending this year buying all their goods and services from black-owned businesses only.

Maggie Anderson drives 14 miles to buy groceries, which might seem curious given that she lives in bustling Oak Park. She and her husband, John, patronize gas stations in Rockford and Phoenix, Ill. They travel 18 miles to a health food store in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood for vitamins, supplements and personal care products.

The reason? They want to solve what they call "the crisis in the black commu- nity." They want to, as they say, "buy black."

The Andersons, African-Americans who rose from humble means, are attempting to spend their money for one year exclusively with black-owned businesses and are encouraging other African-Americans to do the same. It is part experiment, part social activism campaign.

They call it the "Ebony Experiment."
Somehow, I think that if a white family decided to go out of their way to only patronize white owned business' the story would be written much differently.

Somehow, I think that if a white family decided to go out of their way to only patronize white owned business' the story would be written much differently.

How far out of their way would a white family have to go to patronize only white owned businesses?

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses -- chicagotribune.com

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses​
Ebony Experiment encourages other African-Americans to do the same
By Ted Gregory | Tribune reporter
March 9, 2009

Buying black

John and Maggie Anderson read a bedtime story to their children Cori, 2, and Cara, 3, at their Oak Park home on March 2, 2009. The family is conducting what they call the "Ebony Experiment", spending this year buying all their goods and services from black-owned businesses only.

Maggie Anderson drives 14 miles to buy groceries, which might seem curious given that she lives in bustling Oak Park. She and her husband, John, patronize gas stations in Rockford and Phoenix, Ill. They travel 18 miles to a health food store in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood for vitamins, supplements and personal care products.

The reason? They want to solve what they call "the crisis in the black commu- nity." They want to, as they say, "buy black."

The Andersons, African-Americans who rose from humble means, are attempting to spend their money for one year exclusively with black-owned businesses and are encouraging other African-Americans to do the same. It is part experiment, part social activism campaign.

They call it the "Ebony Experiment."

could you explain how this activity supports the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race .......

Are muslims blacks or browns or what? coz I go a long way fucking round to not use those fuckers shops

could you explain how this activity supports the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race .......
Nope, can't do that.
But then the dictionary definition of racism is somewhat limited.
Do you think that if a white couple did the exact same thing that the press wouldn't call them racist (and they would be)?

Nope, can't do that.
Do you think that if a white couple did the exact same thing that the press wouldn't call them racist (and they would be)?

Are you going to prattle on like a twat until someone says something you agree with?

Nope, can't do that.

Are you going to prattle on like a twat until someone says something you agree with?
Maybe you can explain why you think the Muslim religion has anything to do with race. And why religion has anything to do with the original post.
Prattle away, genius.

Nope, can't do that.

so you agree with me.....the behaviour ain't racist......

Nope, can't do that.

so you agree with me.....the behaviour ain't racist......

Not at all. I disagree with the classic dictionary definition of racism that you posted.
And I think the activities of the couple in the article are racist acts.

Nope, can't do that.

Maybe you can explain why you think the Muslim religion has anything to do with race. And why religion has anything to do with the original post.
Prattle away, genius.

My muslimistness has had me accused of racism many times,I don't think it is racist, neither do you apparently.I asked you a question you don't seem to know the answer to, I apologise for making you look like an idiot.:lol:

Carry on Mongo.

Not at all. I disagree with the classic dictionary definition of racism that you posted.

You are wrong. These aren't racist acts.

Is the act of not patronizing the nearest convenience store but instead travelling a couple miles further racist?

If you said their philosophy is racist, I could agree with you. But the act is not racist.

Prattle away, genius.

My muslimistness has had me accused of racism many times,I don't think it is racist, neither do you apparently.I asked you a question you don't seem to know the answer to, I apologise for making you look like an idiot.:lol:

Carry on Mongo.
Please tell me what that question was? 'Cause if it didn't have anything to do with the OP, it only made sense for me to ignore it.

Prattle away, genius.

Carry on Mongo.
Please tell me what that question was? 'Cause if it didn't have anything to do with the OP, it only made sense for me to ignore it.

By that statement all there is left for me to do is tell you to fuck off and laugh at your idiocy:lol:

You are wrong. These aren't racist acts.

Is the act of not patronizing the nearest convenience store but instead travelling a couple miles further racist?

If you said their philosophy is racist, I could agree with you. But the act is not racist.
Good point.
I'm pretty sure that the act is a result of the racist philosophy.

MountainMan,

Who really gives a f**k where they spend their money? It's their business.

Carry on Mongo.

By that statement all there is left for me to do is tell you to fuck off and laugh at your idiocy:lol:

In other words, you can't debate the subject.
Not like I expected otherwise from somebody that doesn't understand that Muslims are a religious group and not a race.

Forum List

Back