Is this racist?

Toxic,

Never mind my child, you wouldn't understand. Go back to your basketball game

Toxic,

Puke-on,

Actually, father, I'm sure that I will understand if you explain to me...even though I am but a lowly American.

Why is the word "Negro" the correct term, whilst all other terms incorrect?

And I don't like basketball.

The reason the Negro didn't set up his own business was because the white man refused to lend the Negro start-up money.

Wow, that sucks.

Still, it makes you wonder why he doesn't do what white people that can't get loans do - save up their own money!

Racist statement. Are you saying black people won't or can't save money? Only white people save money?

The statement itself could be viewed as racist if it wasn't in reference to a direct comment. You are splitting hairs and trying to goat someone into a war of words when she was merely responding to someone accusing whites of attempting to hold "the Negro" down.

During the LA riots, one of the complaints of the black community was that Koreans owned stores there. What was stopping black people from setting up their own stores?

The reason the Negro didn't set up his own business was because the white man refused to lend the Negro start-up money.

Wow, that sucks.

Still, it makes you wonder why he doesn't do what white people that can't get loans do - save up their own money!

Racist statement. Are you saying black people won't or can't save money? Only white people save money?
Evidently, Koreans can save money to. Try and keep up with the conversation, instead of just screeching racism.

Yukon,

What would a Canadian like yourself call a female "Negro"?

Would it be a "Negra" or a "Negrette"?

Wow, that sucks.

The statement itself could be viewed as racist if it wasn't in reference to a direct comment. You are splitting hairs and trying to goat someone into a war of words when she was merely responding to someone accusing whites of attempting to hold "the Negro" down.

But... but... but.... it's fun to take comments out of context. :tongue:

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses -- chicagotribune.com

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses​
Ebony Experiment encourages other African-Americans to do the same
By Ted Gregory | Tribune reporter
March 9, 2009

Buying black

John and Maggie Anderson read a bedtime story to their children Cori, 2, and Cara, 3, at their Oak Park home on March 2, 2009. The family is conducting what they call the "Ebony Experiment", spending this year buying all their goods and services from black-owned businesses only.

Maggie Anderson drives 14 miles to buy groceries, which might seem curious given that she lives in bustling Oak Park. She and her husband, John, patronize gas stations in Rockford and Phoenix, Ill. They travel 18 miles to a health food store in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood for vitamins, supplements and personal care products.

The reason? They want to solve what they call "the crisis in the black commu- nity." They want to, as they say, "buy black."

The Andersons, African-Americans who rose from humble means, are attempting to spend their money for one year exclusively with black-owned businesses and are encouraging other African-Americans to do the same. It is part experiment, part social activism campaign.

They call it the "Ebony Experiment."
Somehow, I think that if a white family decided to go out of their way to only patronize white owned business' the story would be written much differently.

Yep....more of that "only whites can be racist" crap.

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses -- chicagotribune.com

Oak Park couple travel far and wide to buy only from black-owned businesses​
Ebony Experiment encourages other African-Americans to do the same
By Ted Gregory | Tribune reporter
March 9, 2009

Buying black

John and Maggie Anderson read a bedtime story to their children Cori, 2, and Cara, 3, at their Oak Park home on March 2, 2009. The family is conducting what they call the "Ebony Experiment", spending this year buying all their goods and services from black-owned businesses only.

Maggie Anderson drives 14 miles to buy groceries, which might seem curious given that she lives in bustling Oak Park. She and her husband, John, patronize gas stations in Rockford and Phoenix, Ill. They travel 18 miles to a health food store in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood for vitamins, supplements and personal care products.

The reason? They want to solve what they call "the crisis in the black commu- nity." They want to, as they say, "buy black."

The Andersons, African-Americans who rose from humble means, are attempting to spend their money for one year exclusively with black-owned businesses and are encouraging other African-Americans to do the same. It is part experiment, part social activism campaign.

They call it the "Ebony Experiment."
Somehow, I think that if a white family decided to go out of their way to only patronize white owned business' the story would be written much differently.

Yep....more of that "only whites can be racist" crap.

Exactly.

Not at all. I disagree with the classic dictionary definition of racism that you posted.
And I think the activities of the couple in the article are racist acts.

You are wrong. These aren't racist acts.

Is the act of not patronizing the nearest convenience store but instead travelling a couple miles further racist?

If you said their philosophy is racist, I could agree with you. But the act is not racist.

They are only patronizing black owned businesses....how is that not racist? If I patronized only white owned businesses, wouldn't I be racist?

FYI, there are no shops in my area that do hair and manicure, pedicures, etc, that are owned by whites....Wouldn't you consider it racist if I drove out of my way to patronize a white owned hair stylist?

MountainMan,

Who really gives a f**k where they spend their money? It's their business.

That is true, but do you honestly think that if a white family did this same action the news would report it as some sort of worthy ideal?

White people do it all the time they just don't make it known.

Really? Do you have any evidence to support that claim? I know a lot of white people and they don't care who owns the businesses they patronize with the possible exception of Walmart (white owned) where most of my white friends refuse to patronize.

In fact, there are several Asian owned markets here that the whites I know patronize regularly.

Toxic,

Puke-on,

Actually, father, I'm sure that I will understand if you explain to me...even though I am but a lowly American.

Why is the word "Negro" the correct term, whilst all other terms incorrect?

And I don't like basketball.

I think someone of your limitied intelligence will be able to understand the following which aptly specifies why "negro" is the correct term:

Negro - a member of any of the indigenous dark-skinned peoples of Africa, living chiefly south of the Sahara; a person having some African ancestors; a black person.

That is true, but do you honestly think that if a white family did this same action the news would report it as some sort of worthy ideal?

White people do it all the time they just don't make it known.

Really? Do you have any evidence to support that claim? I know a lot of white people and they don't care who owns the businesses they patronize with the possible exception of Walmart (white owned) where most of my white friends refuse to patronize.

In fact, there are several Asian owned markets here that the whites I know patronize regularly.

There's an Asian market down the street from where I work and I like to go there and find unusual new foods to try. The owners seem very nice, they sometimes give me extra sweets.

Why don't your friends shop at WalMart? How can you afford not to?

Forum List

Back