Is Russell Wilson a HOFer?

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
If you asked me that just last year I’d have said yes, the only question was would he be 1st ballot or not, based on his career trajectory. But after seeing his play so far this year if he doesn’t turn it around that’s in question. He looks terrible. If Russ retired today is he a HOFer? He’s not top 20 is any qb stat. 1-1 in the SB and the Seahawks were a defensive run centric team.

IMO the answer is no. He has to get his play back in line with how he played in the past or I think he gets left out.

If you asked me that just last year I’d have said yes, the only question was would he be 1st ballot or not, based on his career trajectory. But after seeing his play so far this year if he doesn’t turn it around that’s in question. He looks terrible. If Russ retired today is he a HOFer? He’s not top 20 is any qb stat. 1-1 in the SB and the Seahawks were a defensive run centric team.

IMO the answer is no. He has to get his play back in line with how he played in the past or I think he gets left out.
NO.
When I was a kid 50 years ago HOFers were once in a generation players.
Now it's anyone who was really good for X amount of time or has a SB ring.
Stafford: possibly with several more really good years.
Flacco: no.

I have watched the NFL for over 50 years

Russell Wilson had the best pocket presence I ever saw. Not wild scrambling when the pocket collapses but taking a few steps to buy more time.

He carried a weak Seattle offense that refused to invest in a line.

No and no
Both have better stats than Russ. Stafford has as many rings and almost twice the yds. Russ has never been a top 5 qb in any year of his career and has been 15 or worse more years than he’s been top 10. I get it, like I said I would have said yes last year but I’m rethinking that take as a media creation more than what is reality.

Russell Wilson had the best pocket presence I ever saw. Not wild scrambling when the pocket collapses but taking a few steps to buy more time.

He gets in the HOF based on “pocket presence“? I think you’re reaching a bit there.

Both have better stats than Russ. Stafford has as many rings and almost twice the yds. Russ has never been a top 5 qb in any year of his career and has been 15 or worse more years than he’s been top 10. I get it, like I said I would have said yes last year but I’m rethinking that take as a media creation more than what is reality.
Stats are deceptive

Playing on a Detroit team that was always playing from behind is a good way to compile passing yards

Seattle played a more conservative offense. Wilson made it work.

Stats are deceptive

Playing on a Detroit team that was always playing from behind is a good way to compile passing yards

Seattle played a more conservative offense. Wilson made it work.
Or Pete Carroll played a conservative offense because he knew he’d get what we are currently seeing in Denver if he didn’t.

No way. Guys like Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, and Josh Allen are more elusive in and out of the pocket than Wilson.

Maybe Wilson was the most elusive at one point, but nowadays there’s a hand full of QBs that are more elusive

Wilson is a good quarterback IMO, but not a great one, especially when he is compared to the current crop of young as well as seasoned star quarterbacks.

And, if he doesn't turn things around in Denver, before this season ends, that will negatively impact his chances of getting into the HOF even more.

JMO.

Forum List

Back