Zero jail time for blocking the Bay Bridge, but four years for blocking the entrance to an abortion clinic.

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
I hate this double standard.

They should both get the same punishment.

“Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time”

Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time

“Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison”

Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison

if they don't punish the lefties, they are going to keep doing it over and over and over.

Sooner or later someone being blocked is going to throw one of them off the bridge.

“Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time”

Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time

“Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison”

Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison
While I agree that the laws should require stiffer penalties for idiots who blockade traffic/bridges, the people who blocked the bridge were not subject to FACE laws and they didn't conspire to prevent rights like the clinic blockade.

Different laws apply to this false equivalence.

On a side note, from your link it states she was sentenced to 10 months...not five years.

Smith was sentenced last year to 10 months behind bars. Hinshaw, Idoni and Goodman also were scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday. Darnel, Geraghty, Marshall and Bell are scheduled to be sentenced on Wednesday. Harlow’s sentencing is set for May 31.

It's called P.P.(Power Politick'n). The Profe$$ional Politician$(judges included!) of the divide & conquer RepubliCratic Duopoly Party(RCDP) know how to keep the American constituency divided & @ each others throats, like keep the constituency fighting among themselves while the profe$$ional Politician$ nullify the constituencies U.S. Constitution & BoR!

While I agree that the laws should require stiffer penalties for idiots who blockade traffic/bridges, the people who blocked the bridge were not subject to FACE laws and they didn't conspire to prevent rights like the clinic blockade.

Different laws apply to this false equivalence.

On a side note, from your link it states she was sentenced to 10 months...not five years.

Smith was sentenced last year to 10 months behind bars. Hinshaw, Idoni and Goodman also were scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday. Darnel, Geraghty, Marshall and Bell are scheduled to be sentenced on Wednesday. Harlow’s sentencing is set for May 31.

So no one has the right to freely travel?

Abortion is a bigger right than that?

It all boils down to dems too strong...reps too weak.

reps dems wolf.jpg

I guess we simply need patience.

God is coming.

I'm glad I'm on His side.

They should have, because by not following lawful orders to disperse they were resisting arrest as well.
Don't stop. Slowly push through, as far as I am concerned. Naturally, I would avoid a protest, but if on developed in front me, surrounding me, I would push through to make my egress, if necessary.

Don't stop. Slowly push through, as far as I am concerned. Naturally, I would avoid a protest, but if on developed in front me, surrounding me, I would push through to make my egress, if necessary.

The cops will stop you from doing it, and besides THAT IS THEIR FUCKING JOB.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here.

The bridge involves public property and balancing free speech rights with public use. The prosecutor has a lot discretion into how strictly to apply it. These people still had to pay a penalty.

From the article:

So while blocking the bridge is illegal, there is plenty of room for discretion.

"The government does have a certain amount of prosecutorial discretion in terms of whether it's going to arrest people, whether it's going to say go home or allow people to leave. There's all sorts of latitude of discretion that is presented at various parts of the process," said Christina Koningsor, professor of constitutional law at UC Law San Francisco. "But certainly, terms of First Amendment question, they are permitted to say, either move to the sidewalk, or you have to stop your protest."

The abortion clinic is private property and there are NO rights to free speech on private property. In addition people were injured and assaulted.

A clinic nurse sprained her ankle when one of Handy’s co-defendants forced his way into the clinic and pushed her. Another co-defendant accosted a woman who was having labor pains, preventing her from getting off a floor and entering the clinic, prosecutors said.

Inside the clinic’s waiting room, Handy directed blockaders to link themselves together with locks and chains and block the doors. A co-defendant used social media to livestream the blockade, which lasted several hours before police arrested the participants.

The cops will stop you from doing it, and besides THAT IS THEIR FUCKING JOB.
I am more or less referring to if you turn up a street and there is no going back, and protesters surround your car. If the cops stop you from going forward, do go forward. If stuck there surround, by all means wait for the "Don't walk" light and green light. Not even saying intentionally injure any protestors, as why I would inch through, but I would not wait for nut-ball prostesters to become violent. But, you do as you think best.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here.

The bridge involves public property and balancing free speech rights with public use. The prosecutor has a lot discretion into how strictly to apply it. These people still had to pay a penalty.

From the article:

So while blocking the bridge is illegal, there is plenty of room for discretion.

"The government does have a certain amount of prosecutorial discretion in terms of whether it's going to arrest people, whether it's going to say go home or allow people to leave. There's all sorts of latitude of discretion that is presented at various parts of the process," said Christina Koningsor, professor of constitutional law at UC Law San Francisco. "But certainly, terms of First Amendment question, they are permitted to say, either move to the sidewalk, or you have to stop your protest."

The abortion clinic is private property and there are NO rights to free speech on private property. In addition people were injured and assaulted.

A clinic nurse sprained her ankle when one of Handy’s co-defendants forced his way into the clinic and pushed her. Another co-defendant accosted a woman who was having labor pains, preventing her from getting off a floor and entering the clinic, prosecutors said.

Inside the clinic’s waiting room, Handy directed blockaders to link themselves together with locks and chains and block the doors. A co-defendant used social media to livestream the blockade, which lasted several hours before police arrested the participants.
There is really no difference.

So no one has the right to freely travel?

The right to travel is a constitutional right and more specifically an unenumerated right. (9th amendment).

While your arguement is interesting, I expect nobody's right to travel was stopped, just made more difficult. Certainly lawyers would have considered this legal angle.

Abortion is a bigger right than that?
Abortion was also an unenumerated right until SCOTUS overturned 50 years of precedent. Now it is no longer an unenumerated right.

I hope SCOTUS doesn't overturn the right to travel as well.

Forum List

Back