Best candy bars ever made

1715792253341.png

2nd choice

1715792307724.png

Twix and Heath Bars are hard to beat.

Back in the day at the Tastee-Freez I worked at, before it was even popular to do so, we would grind-up Heath Bars and use as toppings for Sundaes.

A butterscotch sundae topped with Heath Bar pieces was an oft asked for item. Gawd only knows what the calorie content was. Damn it was good though.

I'll have you know that I "invented" the hot fudge milkshake. It got so popular in my town we charged an extra .35 cents for them. ;)

Twix and Heath Bars are hard to beat.

Back in the day at the Tastee-Freez I worked at, before it was even popular to do so, we would grind-up Heath Bars and use as toppings for Sundaes.

A butterscotch sundae topped with Heath Bar pieces was an oft asked for item. Gawd only knows what the calorie content was. Damn it was good though.

I'll have you know that I "invented" the hot fudge milkshake. It got so popular in my town we charged an extra .35 cents for them. ;)

Snickers is still the best in my opinion.

It has everything. Chocolate, Caramel, peanuts, nougat. The works.

I like to go to a local candy maker and pick up some home made stuff.

The local merchant sells out quick though, so, barring that, I will pick up some Dove chocolates and almonds, and pop an individually wrapped chocolate and a couple roasted-salted almonds in my mouth.

1715798083972.png
iu

Why have the quality of all the candy I knew as a kid, gone so down hill? It all tastes like garbage the past few decades IMO?

The golden age of American Chocolate has passed. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, Chocolate back in the 70s was much better. Nestle's Crunch Bars and Nestle Milk Chocolate Bar were very good. Real Chocolate. Nestle's new stuff is pure crap (at least in the US). Hershey's are not as bad, but still far from what they were. The US has lesser standards for Chocolate than do the Europeans and Japanese.

To be honest, you can't get really good store bought candy bars in the US. Now Europe and Japan have some really good chocolate you can buy in the stores. For instance, Milka makes a very good chocolate bar.

If you want to know the difference between American and European Chocolate, look at the Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar. In the US it is average because it has a different formula. In England where they have stricter laws regarding Chocolate content, the Dairy Milk bar is delicious.

This is not to say that local US chocolatiers don't make good chocolate. They do.

Last edited:
The golden age of American Chocolate has passed. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, Chocolate back in 70s was much better. Nestle's Crunch Bars and Nestle Milk Chocolate Bar were very good. Real Chocolate. Nestle's new stuff is pure crap (at least in the US). Hershey's are not as bad, but still far from what they were. The US has lesser standards for Chocolate than do the Europeans and Japanese.

To be honest, you can't get really good store bought candy bars in the US. Now Europe and Japan have some really good chocolate you can buy in the stores. For instance, Milka makes a very good chocolate bar.

If you want to know the difference between American and European Chocolate, look at the Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar. In the US it is average because it has a different formula. In England where they have stricter laws regarding Chocolate content, the Dairy Milk bar is delicious.

This is not to say that US chocolatiers don't make good chocolate. They do.
1715799678610.png

I like to go to a local candy maker and pick up some home made stuff.

The local merchant sells out quick though, so, barring that, I will pick up some Dove chocolates and almonds, and pop an individually wrapped chocolate and a couple roasted-salted almonds in my mouth.

View attachment 947271
iu

we have our own candy makers here in CT as well.

Munson’s History​

Munson’s Chocolates was founded by Ben and Josephine Munson in 1946 and originally titled “The Dandy Candy Company.” With little more than a dream, they set out to build a business that would reflect their commitment to quality and service.

1954 Family Image

Pictured in 1954: Josephine Munson, Robert Munson and Benjamin Munson

Their first store was located in Manchester, Connecticut behind a tailor shop. It was there that they would make batches of wafers and ribbon candy from the sugar rations they received following the end of WWII. Soon after, they moved their base of operation to a horse barn. They converted the barn into two parts: a kitchen and a retail store.
Our History | Munson's Chocolates

Forum List

Back