Is Russell Wilson a HOFer?

I have watched the NFL for over 50 years

Russell Wilson had the best pocket presence I ever saw. Not wild scrambling when the pocket collapses but taking a few steps to buy more time.

He carried a weak Seattle offense that refused to invest in a line.
It is hard to explain but Wilson also had good karma. Throw a ball into the air and somehow his receivers caught it, or the other side could not hang on. Many times, this happened. Then came the second Super Bowl with the stupid goal line play. The decline started.

Wilson is a good quarterback IMO, but not a great one, especially when he is compared to the current crop of young as well as seasoned star quarterbacks.

And, if he doesn't turn things around in Denver, before this season ends, that will negatively impact his chances of getting into the HOF even more.

JMO.

Agree with this. I think a good quarterback wins with talent - put talent around him and put him in a good system, and he won't screw it up. That's how I see Wilson.

Elite quarterbacks find ways to win no matter who's catching the ball or who's calling the plays, and that probably has to do with the character and work ethic of really elite athletes. They may not always get to or win the SB, but they get as close as they can with the talent they've got. They just make the team better. A great QB like Brady or Rodgers makes training camp and practices count for something. They work with their struggling receivers on routes, on exactly where they should be when they take that 3rd of 5th step back. They're demanding but encouraging.

I get the feeling that the last few years in Seattle and certainly now in Denver, Wilson hasn't had the respect of everyone on his team. You might see Antonio Brown slam his helmet down if he doesn't get the ball, but AB's a nutbar and, by the way, no longer employed. You won't see other receivers slamming their helmet if Brady or Rodgers doesn't get them the rock because they see everything on the field, and it goes back to practice. They do the extra work.

If you asked me that just last year I’d have said yes, the only question was would he be 1st ballot or not, based on his career trajectory. But after seeing his play so far this year if he doesn’t turn it around that’s in question. He looks terrible. If Russ retired today is he a HOFer? He’s not top 20 is any qb stat. 1-1 in the SB and the Seahawks were a defensive run centric team.

IMO the answer is no. He has to get his play back in line with how he played in the past or I think he gets left out.
I'm always a guy who errs on the side "no" rather than yes... I'm always shocked at how many people get into the HOF.

IMO, when considering any player, I think it's important to ask "Were they ever the best, or nearly the best, at their position at any time?"

I don't think Russell Wilson was ever a top 3 QB in the league. Certainly top 10 for many years, arguably top 5 for a few to many.

I know I have my own metrics, but I would say he's a VERY "good" QB thus far, and isn't HOF material.

I have watched the NFL for over 50 years

Russell Wilson had the best pocket presence I ever saw. Not wild scrambling when the pocket collapses but taking a few steps to buy more time.

He carried a weak Seattle offense that refused to invest in a line.
Aluding to my previous post above this one, Wilson was never a top 3 QB in the NFL IMO.

Do you think he was? In what years?

Big Ben’s a lock first ballot. 2 SB rings, top 5 in yards top 10 in TDs. He’s in 6 years from now.
Was he ever top 3 at his position at any given time?

Probably not with Manning and Brady running around. Maybe he snuck in the 3 spot once...

Agree with this. I think a good quarterback wins with talent - put talent around him and put him in a good system, and he won't screw it up. That's how I see Wilson.

Elite quarterbacks find ways to win no matter who's catching the ball or who's calling the plays, and that probably has to do with the character and work ethic of really elite athletes. They may not always get to or win the SB, but they get as close as they can with the talent they've got. They just make the team better. A great QB like Brady or Rodgers makes training camp and practices count for something. They work with their struggling receivers on routes, on exactly where they should be when they take that 3rd of 5th step back. They're demanding but encouraging.

I get the feeling that the last few years in Seattle and certainly now in Denver, Wilson hasn't had the respect of everyone on his team. You might see Antonio Brown slam his helmet down if he doesn't get the ball, but AB's a nutbar and, by the way, no longer employed. You won't see other receivers slamming their helmet if Brady or Rodgers doesn't get them the rock because they see everything on the field, and it goes back to practice. They do the extra work.
That's a great summary of Wilson, and I agree with you 100%.
I look at the immediate impact that Peyton Manning made when he went to Denver, as well as the impact that Brady quickly made in Tampa .

I believe that truly GREAT quarterbacks change a teams dynamic by their presence, through their leadership. I just don't see those same qualities in Wilson. Again, that's just my opinion.
Time will tell.

I look at the immediate impact that Peyton Manning made when he went to Denver, as well as the impact that Brady quickly made in Tampa .

I believe that truly GREAT quarterbacks change a teams dynamic by their presence, through their leadership. I just don't see those same qualities in Wilson. Again, that's just my opinion.
Time will tell.
I agree 100% with what you agree 100% on.

But let me stop you.. don't compare Brady in Tampa to Peyton in Denver ever again, it's insulting to Peyton ;)

I agree 100% with what you agree 100% on.

But let me stop you.. don't compare Brady in Tampa to Peyton in Denver ever again, it's insulting to Peyton ;)

Why is that? Their both great players.

Granted, I'm not a fan of either of the teams that they played for, so therefore, perhaps there is something that I don't know that you can share.

Why is that? Their both great players.

Granted, I'm not a fan of either of the teams that they played for, so therefore, maybe there is something that I don't know that you can share.
For their careers they are certainly both great players.

However, Peyton Manning in Denver absolutely devoured the league.. Brady in Tampa has been very good at times, not so good in others. I'm simply comparing the two stints, not the two careers.

For their careers they are certainly both great players.

However, Peyton Manning in Denver absolutely devoured the league.. Brady in Tampa has been very good at times, not so good in others. I'm simply comparing the two stints, not the two careers.
Ok. I understand what you're saying. I am for the most part referring to the difference that Brady made in his first and second years at Tampa compared to Wilson's first year in Denver, not their entire careers.

Time will tell.

I think it's more than just their presence; it's what they do. They communicate well. They basically become the alpha through their action. They raise expectations and basically let it be known that "Hey, this is what we gotta do to get better, and we're gonna do it."

Brady arrived in Tampa during the height of the pandemic, even before there were vaccines ready. And while it was controversial, he basically told the team's offense that they were going to start working together in the spring, even before training camp. He set the tone. He set the expectation. I'm sure that there were a lot of players who were quietly skeptical whether Brady still really had the stuff that made him great, even if they didn't say it aloud, but once he started working with the team, I think the team realized what made Brady the living legend. It's his work ethic, his leadership, his communication, his authenticity, his ruthless determination to win. People can see through people trying to be leaders, and people really leading.

I'm not saying Russell Wilson isn't trying or that he isn't a leader or can't find a way to course correct, but he's clearly not doing the things that instill confidence in the players or even the coaches around him and it's showing. Having one of his receivers throwing his helmet down and casually mentioning to members of the press "I could have walked in" isn't an accident. It's a shot at the guy, and while we're probably making a little more out of it than what was actually intended (probably just frustration and not really a personal dig at Russell, the man), it still says something: "So far, we're not convinced you're worth your price tag, bruh."

That was not the case with Manning. Not the case with Brady. Not the case with Montana when he left SF and went to KC in 1993, and people forget, there were games when they stunk up the joint. It didn't matter because they instilled confidence in the entire offense, and even the entire team that they had someone on the field who knew how to make the team better and how to win.

I think it's more than just their presence; it's what they do. They communicate well. They basically become the alpha through their action. They raise expectations and basically let it be known that "Hey, this is what we gotta do to get better, and we're gonna do it."

Brady arrived in Tampa during the height of the pandemic, even before there were vaccines ready. And while it was controversial, he basically told the team's offense that they were going to start working together in the spring, even before training camp. He set the tone. He set the expectation. I'm sure that there were a lot of players who were quietly skeptical whether Brady still really had the stuff that made him great, even if they didn't say it aloud, but once he started working with the team, I think the team realized what made Brady the living legend. It's his work ethic, his leadership, his communication, his authenticity, his ruthless determination to win. People can see through people trying to be leaders, and people really leading.

I'm not saying Russell Wilson isn't trying or that he isn't a leader or can't find a way to course correct, but he's clearly not doing the things that instill confidence in the players or even the coaches around him and it's showing. Having one of his receivers throwing his helmet down and casually mentioning to members of the press "I could have walked in" isn't an accident. It's a shot at the guy, and while we're probably making a little more out of it than what was actually intended (probably just frustration and not really a personal dig at Russell, the man), it still says something: "So far, we're not convinced you're worth your price tag, bruh."

That was not the case with Manning. Not the case with Brady. Not the case with Montana when he left SF and went to KC in 1993, and people forget, there were games when they stunk up the joint. It didn't matter because they instilled confidence in the entire offense, and even the entire team that they had someone on the field who knew how to make the team better and how to win.
You stated that perfectly.

That's precisely what I meant by LEADERSHIP qualities.

You stated that perfectly.

That's precisely what I meant by LEADERSHIP qualities.
Eh, the concept of "leadership" can't be quantified among the elites IMO.

People like to lather that onto people who win the most ahead of other greats, but it's impossible to know how much it contributed. I'm not saying it shouldn't be addressed, but it's much like saying a food is "all natural" on the label.. like, what does that even mean?

Brady and Manning were both stalwarts and leaders for their teams. Brady also had a better defense throughout his career and better coaching.

It's far easier to chalk up wins when your team is giving up less points.

Forum List

Back