Is Religion Racist?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by PoliticalChic, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,037
    Saw this on the net...

"SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant remarks akin to a racist or sexist remarks?

LONG QUESTION: I was reading my local Sunday paper and came about an advice column. The person is seeking advice in response to a friend. They had been close growing up but had grown apart. The advice-seeker married a "nice Jewish boy" (her words) while her friend married an Evangelical Christian and became a missionary. I'm going off of the assumption that the advice-seeker is (or at least grew up as a) Christian too.

The friend sent the woman a book about accepting and living an evangelical lifestyle, and has been, over the years, expressed concerns about the woman's lifestyle (including marrying a non-Christian). The woman was writing in to ask advice on how to deal with the friend and what she should do about the book. At the end of her letter, she mentions that her teenage son "believe this is no different from a racist or sexist remark."

What do you think? Do you think this kind of religious intolerance is on the same level as sexism or racism? If the woman had married a man of a different race and the friend was concerned about her "lifestyle choices" that would clearly be racist but can the idea still apply when it comes to religion?"
    thequestionclub: SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Actually, yes.

In fact, it could be worst than a sexist or racist remark when you are friends and you know each others religion yet you are trying to convert them! That is akin to suggesting that they need some type of improvement, and it has to do with their religious beliefs. Beliefs most likely handed down to them by their parents with a vibrant history of their family tied in with the practice of their religion.

It is kind of like when an Atheist post disparaging remarks about a religion, except the atheist was considered a friend that understood your emotional connection to your faith. I bet it would feel like you are being betrayed by some horrible jackass.

Now i am going to be a horrible jackass on a Cammmpbel thread.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Racism is a belief that one RACE is superior to other races. Religion may be about one religion better then others but it is NOT the same concept or problem except for the very delusional. And then the problem is the person is nuts.

4. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    But is not thinking ones religion is superior to anothers a form of theological bigotry?

Depending on the emotional connections a person formed to their beliefs systems, insulting their beliefs could be more painful than a racist or sexist comment.

There may exist deep ties between a persons identity and their religious beliefs.

Hmph, kind of strange that I am saying this and I tend to argue with christian posters about the miracles they believe in.

I wonder, am I a Theological bigot?

5. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Really, a great thought provoker, thank you, baby! *hearts*

6. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,897
    Atheists tend to be the most racist. Heck, look at Stalin.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,848
    It is bigotry but not the same thing as racism or sexism. You can choose your religion, after all.

8. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    Some ,the ones that are most times,unless said religion has its roots in separation from others,have just perverted the original message.The teachings of Christ and the multitudes of interpretations is just one.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,037
    1. "But is not thinking ones religion is superior to anothers a form of theological bigotry?"
    Isn't it the quintessential characteristic of one's religion, at the time of adherence, to believe that "ones religion is superior to another's"?
    And, to be a non-believer...doesn't that fit the same definition?

a. Couldn't you have the same objections to advertising?

b. To embrace tolerance is to cease to believe in anything.
    Chesterton

2. "insulting their beliefs"
    Shouldn't one view the efforts of a friend to "save" same in a more benign light?
    ...accepted in the same spirit in which it is meant?

And, wouldn't it be simply annoying if the "saver" persists...rather than insulting?
    Wouldn't the correct response be 'Thank you for caring....but I've made my decision."
    Firmly.

3. And isn't this very discussion an example of the secular view that religion should be frowned on in the public arena?

10. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Now only frowned on; but eventually eliminated all together. :doubt: