Is Linux as good as many people say??

Yes, I work, hence a PC running linux is useless. Worse yet for play. There's no software... still... since the 90s. Again, only a few nerds and a tiny sales department at Oracle are willing to say Ubuntu is a PC OS. I might know nothing on the matter, but my advice for anyone who has to ask is that they should use Linux for their web server, not a PC.

If it makes you feel better, I think the same thing about windows servers.
Based on what you just posted you're clueless, simple as that. When was the last time you even looked at Ubuntu/Mint?
What are you talking about? I have 14.04 on a VM on this computer I'm on right now.
Ya know, I missed the VM reference here..... Hell dud, you can't even get full Windows functionality in VM without tweaking code and even then.......
If you want to honestly discuss Linux operating systems you need to use it as a primary or secondary (dual boot) otherwise your exposure is limited leading to an obvious mis-derived bias.
:thup: We have 2 linux boxes and 3 laptops with the Ubuntu VM setup. Linux for me is about bashing commands to a web server. My top dev swears by it as an GUI OS, but he's cuban, I guess they're 100% linux down there.

It might be mis-derived, but I think using Linux as a pedestrian OS is like drinking pig's milk. Why, because bacon's tasty? Gross!
Again, you're talking from a position of (extremely) limited knowledge but hey, don't let that stop your exercise in self foot chewing, it's actually quite amusing. :thup:
It passes the time. Knowledge isn't something I allocate to OSs, to be honest. They're literally in the background.

Do you use Ubuntu or Mint?

So maybe that's the problem. The microgeeks are running Linux under Windows and blaming Linux for shit gone wrong.
I haven't had any issues with Linux on the VM or otherwise.
Well then maybe you can help those other guys get it to run so they can at least form an honest opinion. But you've contradicted yourself by saying it was useless except as a server.

So maybe that's the problem. The microgeeks are running Linux under Windows and blaming Linux for shit gone wrong.
Well then maybe you can help those other guys get it to run so they can at least form an honest opinion. But you've contradicted yourself by saying it was useless except as a server.
I think I said it was for a web server. That's what I meant, anyhow. I think it's silly as a PC OS but it can be used for that just fine.

People with trouble installing linux should just mail you the machine and buy a pre-configured windows computer. To linux' credit, you don't have to take the whole day off to install it.

I think I said it was for a web server. That's what I meant, anyhow. I think it's silly as a PC OS but it can be used for that just fine.

People with trouble installing linux should just mail you the machine and buy a pre-configured windows computer. To linux' credit, you don't have to take the whole day off to install it.
But you just admitted you use Linux in VM for work, while telling us it's silly. As a PC it works great so the silliness resides between your ears. No need to get huffy about it.

Based on what you just posted you're clueless, simple as that. When was the last time you even looked at Ubuntu/Mint?
What are you talking about? I have 14.04 on a VM on this computer I'm on right now.
Ya know, I missed the VM reference here..... Hell dud, you can't even get full Windows functionality in VM without tweaking code and even then.......
If you want to honestly discuss Linux operating systems you need to use it as a primary or secondary (dual boot) otherwise your exposure is limited leading to an obvious mis-derived bias.
:thup: We have 2 linux boxes and 3 laptops with the Ubuntu VM setup. Linux for me is about bashing commands to a web server. My top dev swears by it as an GUI OS, but he's cuban, I guess they're 100% linux down there.

It might be mis-derived, but I think using Linux as a pedestrian OS is like drinking pig's milk. Why, because bacon's tasty? Gross!
Again, you're talking from a position of (extremely) limited knowledge but hey, don't let that stop your exercise in self foot chewing, it's actually quite amusing. :thup:
It passes the time. Knowledge isn't something I allocate to OSs, to be honest. They're literally in the background.

Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I've used Mint, tried Fedora, Bodhi, Lubuntu, OpenSUSE, PuppyLinux. I keep a disc with MacPup available just in case I have a HDD failure and want to retrieve my documents, etc.
I started on Ubuntu almost a decade ago when you had to download and install the restricted drivers, did that because I hated Vista, went back to Windows when Win 7 was released but only because I like my main stream games. Now as Linux grows in leaps and bounds outside of the US we'll probably start seeing even more high end games ported over to Linux so as the game options grow I'll probably switch back to Linux as my only OS.
Not that I don't like Windows, my issues are with Microsoft and their money first over user approach. Granted pretty much every for profit company does that and I can choose to use them or not. Hell I use my smart phone as a phone, I rarely text and rarely use it for maps and to search for reviews on something I'm looking to buy when I'm already at the store. Damn screens are too small and annoying to move around in.

One thing I avoid like the plague is talking about something I know little about. Take servers, unless I'm asking a question my primary knowledge of servers is, "oh so that's a server, nice to know".......... I tried years ago to turn an old machine into a home server......... Like I said, I tried........ Obviously not hard enough......... :lol:

But you just admitted you use Linux in VM for work, while telling us it's silly. As a PC it works great so the silliness resides between your ears. No need to get huffy about it.
I think I spilled my bias earlier about Linux web servers, plus I compose for LAMP almost always. That's the purpose of the VM repo I have. I'm fiddling with that thru the sudo command line and my editor, then looking at the output in the next browser tab from this at a localhost address. It may not be what you're imagining, nor as Ringel05 points out, I am not imagining your experience.

On our boxes that are for production and presentation testing, I've spent time on the GUI. I'm down with the minimum. Once you're in your app, it's moot.

Silly for me is the inverse where I live in a good server OS and boot up a win10 install to run cutting edge productivity software for cash. Before I reboot linux, I'd get in a round of one of the old ass windows games I dig. I'd have to hear shit from my woman because our lil netflix client looks weird. It piles up.

It would boot up faster than the windows setup. Those 'tiles' in w10 don't actually do anything, so you'r not missing out on anything there.

Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I've used Mint, tried Fedora, Bodhi, Lubuntu, OpenSUSE, PuppyLinux. I keep a disc with MacPup available just in case I have a HDD failure and want to retrieve my documents, etc.
I started on Ubuntu almost a decade ago when you had to download and install the restricted drivers, did that because I hated Vista, went back to Windows when Win 7 was released but only because I like my main stream games. Now as Linux grows in leaps and bounds outside of the US we'll probably start seeing even more high end games ported over to Linux so as the game options grow I'll probably switch back to Linux as my only OS.
Not that I don't like Windows, my issues are with Microsoft and their money first over user approach. Granted pretty much every for profit company does that and I can choose to use them or not. Hell I use my smart phone as a phone, I rarely text and rarely use it for maps and to search for reviews on something I'm looking to buy when I'm already at the store. Damn screens are too small and annoying to move around in.
I got the 14.04 for all the machines recently, so I'm just checking that out. I've used RedHat UI a good bit.

They released Civilization 5 on linux.

I got the 14.04 for all the machines recently, so I'm just checking that out. I've used RedHat UI a good bit.

They released Civilization 5 on linux.
I do primarily FPS but occasionally RTS (very limited) If, when I tried some of the other non-Ubuntu based Linux distros, my experience with Linux was limited or new I probably would have immediately gone back to Vista in a heart beat. I'm not one of the Torvalds disciples or a Windows acolyte, both need serious couch time with a shrink and I'm not talking sex either........
Both OSs have their pluses and minuses, if I could get a Linux version of Win 7 I'd be a happy man......... I wouldn't even have a problem with paying for the OS, at least paying what I think it's worth, not what someone like M$ thinks it's worth to support Bill Gates and Satya Nadellas lifestyles.

Last edited:
On Microsoft...what has always boggled my mind is how Steve Balmer kept his job as long as he did. I can't think of another CEO that just got everything wrong. Everything.
Apple swallowed Microsoft because Microsoft botched everything it tried to make other than the OS

I think he works for Microsoft.........

testing-code-is-for-wimps-real-men-test-in-production.jpg

If people had to install an OS - any OS - they would choose Linux because the install takes 1/4th the time.

That sounds nice but is utterly false. When people have to install an OS they chose windows the VAST majority of the time. That is a stone cold fact.
You didn't read what he said........ Ya missed the "if"........ Try again.........
No, I didn't miss anything at all.

IF someone must install an OS, they chose windows almost every time. That is a FACT. Period.
Then you're missing the obvious so I'll make it easy for you. How many people have or eve know how to install their own OS.......? If you say more than 10% you're either lying to me or yourself. How many people even know what an OS is? again.........
Most people.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge that does not make it false. There is little hard data on full license sales figures (almost every single figure includes OEM licenses) but every single person I know has installed a new OS at one time or another. Every. Single. One.

Even my grandfather has done so and he cannot figure out how to use email. You are being purposefully obtuse demanding that virtually no one has installed an OS at one time or another.

If people had to install an OS - any OS - they would choose Linux because the install takes 1/4th the time.

That sounds nice but is utterly false. When people have to install an OS they chose windows the VAST majority of the time. That is a stone cold fact.
You didn't read what he said........ Ya missed the "if"........ Try again.........

IF someone must install an OS, they chose windows almost every time. That is a FACT. Period.
Then you're missing the obvious so I'll make it easy for you. How many people have or eve know how to install their own OS.......? If you say more than 10% you're either lying to me or yourself. How many people even know what an OS is? again.........
Most people.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge that does not make it false. There is little hard data on full license sales figures (almost every single figure includes OEM licenses) but every single person I know has installed a new OS at one time or another. Every. Single. One.

Even my grandfather has done so and he cannot figure out how to use email. You are being purposefully obtuse demanding that virtually no one has installed an OS at one time or another.
I think you're referring to people who purchase a computer with a OS already installed on it, it comes that way, they don't install it. Hell most people know how to turn it on, search the internet, play a few games, use Word and turn it off, that's it. As for people installing their own OS, you're sadly mistaken, the vast majority of users haven't a clue.

Most people.

Yes and I personally have known the past three Presidents of the United States personally.
Because that is about the same likelihood as every one you know has installed an OS. That or you live in a family of computer analyst.
If you ere to randomly call 1000 people in America and ask the question "what OS do you use"...maybe, maybe 5% would give a correct answer.
So for you to know that every single person you know not only knows what an OS is - but has installed one before - would be akin to winning the lottery...twice.
Since we know you like to play with words and spin your responses...I tend to believe that Ringel is correct...you are counting people who bought a new PC and "finished" the install by answering a few questions as "installing an OS".
Reddit much?

Most people.

I think you're referring to people who purchase a computer with a OS already installed on it, it comes that way, they don't install it. Hell most people know how to turn it on, search the internet, play a few games, use Word and turn it off, that's it. As for people installing their own OS, you're sadly mistaken, the vast majority of users haven't a clue.
No I am not. I know what installing an OS is vs getting an OEM copy already on a computer you buy is. So does virtually everyone else in the nation. I tire of this idiocy. I no longer care if you all want to live in your own world and ignore reality. Whatever - Linux is gods gift to humanity - MS sucks and windows is only on 98% of personal computers because they have brainwashed everyone else (except 3 people on USMB). Just the other day Linux even did my laundry.

Most people.

Yes and I personally have known the past three Presidents of the United States personally.
Because that is about the same likelihood as every one you know has installed an OS. That or you live in a family of computer analyst.
If you ere to randomly call 1000 people in America and ask the question "what OS do you use"...maybe, maybe 5% would give a correct answer.
So for you to know that every single person you know not only knows what an OS is - but has installed one before - would be akin to winning the lottery...twice.
Since we know you like to play with words and spin your responses...I tend to believe that Ringel is correct...you are counting people who bought a new PC and "finished" the install by answering a few questions as "installing an OS".
Reddit much?
Fuck off worthless troll. You idiots just want to reiterate your fanboy delusions while demanding that everyone else is a fanboy. Go on - ignore reality - I no longer give a shit.

No I am not. I know what installing an OS is vs getting an OEM copy already on a computer you buy is. So does virtually everyone else in the nation. I tire of this idiocy. I no longer care if you all want to live in your own world and ignore reality. Whatever - Linux is gods gift to humanity - MS sucks and windows is only on 98% of personal computers because they have brainwashed everyone else (except 3 people on USMB). Just the other day Linux even did my laundry.
You keep making stupid comments. Market share is not equivalent to superiority of product. No, more than 3 people use Linux, it's you that lives in a dream world. You sound hurt, confused and angry.

Most people.

And you're an ignorant ass who can't see past your own circle of geek friends, you attribute their knowledge to everyone else in the world, typical. Guess you missed the part where I said my primary is Windows 10. I have 5 computers, only one is running Ubuntu. You also missed the part where I stated both have positives and negatives. You truly are clueless but hey, feel free, no skin off of my nose. :thup:

I'm really liking Plasma 5 under Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE environment. As much as I like Mint I think this is a keeper. I was testing it because I have a SSD coming in a few days so this will go on it. You can adjust anything to your liking and it has even better graphic tablet control, KDE was always more artist driven.

It does take some overhead though, about a gig of memory before you start running programs but I have 8 so still plenty to work with. Plasma 5 will be available for Mint 18 when they get that out but it won't be anytime soon.

Forum List

Back