CDZ Is it possible for America to unite?

There was a previous thread with the topic being is it possible for America to re-unite. I do not think America has ever been united except for the WWII era and possibly in the Revolutionary War era.

I think America could be united today but not by any manner most on here would find acceptable. I might or might not go into that later. First I would like to see if anyone has any ideas on the subject.

I can see someone posting that some external threat of a significant nature would unite us but with our society being the way it is now I do not think such a threat would be recognized in time to deal with it. Look how long it took us to wake up to the Nazi threat.

Look at the attack on the WTC...we were sort of united for a week or so.
I guess it depends on the definition of "unite". Those who have a vested professional interest in dividing us have won, for now. We've played along like obedient little bunnies, right into their hands. All screaming, all attacking, no listening, no communication.

What concerns me the most is something I read a few months ago, that it has been so long since we've communicated like normal adults that we have literally lost the skills to do so. Use it or lose it. That scares me.

At the same time, making assumptions on the future isn't a good idea either. Maybe we'll come to our senses. Maybe someone from politics or sports or entertainment or science or education or religion or medicine will say just the right thing at just the right time, and the momentum will build from there.

Ya never know.

I guess it depends on the definition of "unite". Those who have a vested professional interest in dividing us have won, for now. We've played along like obedient little bunnies, right into their hands. All screaming, all attacking, no listening, no communication.

Yes, because political disagreements are a new thing and anyone who has them is clearly being manipulated.

Frankly, Mac people do listen to you. And when they point out the flaws in your arguments, you get all huffy... so who isn't listening again.

What concerns me the most is something I read a few months ago, that it has been so long since we've communicated like normal adults that we have literally lost the skills to do so. Use it or lose it. That scares me.

Meh, most of us communicate just fine most of the time... Frankly, the thing is, most people don't even pay attention to this stuff between elections... the people who hang here do, the maybe 100 or so of us who are regular members.

At the same time, making assumptions on the future isn't a good idea either. Maybe we'll come to our senses. Maybe someone from politics or sports or entertainment or science or education or religion or medicine will say just the right thing at just the right time, and the momentum will build from there.

Meh, if you are expecting a messiah to carry your message, you are going to be disappointed.

Isn't that what Trump was supposed to be, the guy who challenged both parties and their dogma?

How's that working out for you again? The Von Papen Republicans gave up on most of their principles trying to get away with what they can, and the Chamberlain Democrats keep appeasing them, not wanting to seem too contrary.

There was a previous thread with the topic being is it possible for America to re-unite. I do not think America has ever been united except for the WWII era and possibly in the Revolutionary War era.

I think America could be united today but not by any manner most on here would find acceptable. I might or might not go into that later. First I would like to see if anyone has any ideas on the subject.

I can see someone posting that some external threat of a significant nature would unite us but with our society being the way it is now I do not think such a threat would be recognized in time to deal with it. Look how long it took us to wake up to the Nazi threat.

Is it possible for America to unite?

Nope; not gonna hapN

I will NEVER have a goddamn thing to do with ANY Republican, EVER again; period.

Not gonna

Thanks Donald
people with a mind set like you are showing here are part of the problem...

Trump is THE problem; sorry you didn't notice that

No, just like you call the NRA the problem...

Just admit it you are after us and the Constitution

Trump and the NRA are just in the way...

Here's a hint; I own firearms so why would I be against the 2nd A?

:9:

`
Yes, it is possible. As draconian as this sounds, once most of the old guard hardliners pass on, people in my generation and under, will be forced to deal with the consequences of the sins of our elders. Survival makes for strange bedfellows.
That's been stated for the last three generations.

Nope; not gonna hapN

I will NEVER have a goddamn thing to do with ANY Republican, EVER again; period.

Not gonna

Thanks Donald

big deal....you are still part of the problem....

Is it possible? Sure. As a matter of fact, if one stops listening to radical ideologues (like francoHFW and bear513, to name a couple here), the hysterical MSM (including FoxNews), and actually (gasp) talks to their neighbors, especially those who have a different political leaning, then one would generally conclude that we are not nearly as divided as some would like you to believe.

`
Yes, it is possible. As draconian as this sounds, once most of the old guard hardliners pass on, people in my generation and under, will be forced to deal with the consequences of the sins of our elders. Survival makes for strange bedfellows.

And your own sins.

Nope; not gonna hapN

Not gonna

Thanks Donald

------------------------------------ because you may like regulation , permission and infringment Caddo .

And your own sins.
`
and especially yours.

No, especially YOURS. You will live with your 'sins' as much (or maybe more) than past generations. Someday you will be old and some young ones will blame you and your generation for their sins. The young don't like to take personal responsibility and always say 'they made me do it' or something similar. It takes wise young people to realize they are not a generational 'island' and time will treat them just the same as prior generations then, respect their elders for their knowledge.

No, especially YOURS. You will live with your 'sins' as much (or maybe more) than past generations. Someday you will be old and some young ones will blame you and your generation for their sins. The young don't like to take personal responsibility and always say 'they made me do it' or something similar. It takes wise young people to realize they are not a generational 'island' and time will treat them just the same as prior generations then, respect their elders for their knowledge.
`
Oh my, another geriatric with a penchant for preaching their so-called wisdom. First, it might help if they had the respect of youth, which they don't, then it would help if they stopped assuming. Given today's state of unrest, hatred and violence, the geriatric crowd are leaving behind a pretentious legacy created by their own self-centered hubris. The list of respectable older folk is already pitifully small.
`

Americans have historic examples of 'United We Stand'
But none of that has ever occured under oligarchy rule

Oligarchs divide , pitting faction aganist faction , to shield themselves
Yesterday's election could not possibly provide more blatant example for this

~S~

`
Oh my, another geriatric with a penchant for preaching their so-called wisdom. First, it might help if they had the respect of youth, which they don't, then it would help if they stopped assuming. Given today's state of unrest, hatred and violence, the geriatric crowd are leaving behind a pretentious legacy created by their own self-centered hubris. The list of respectable older folk is already pitifully small.
`

The exuberance of youth never did jive with the dissillusionment of age Wind, always been a 'thing'....~S~

The exuberance of youth never did jive with the dissillusionment of age Wind, always been a 'thing'....~S~
`
I still volunteer at a local nursing home, out of respect and admiration for our elderly.....plus I enjoy their company. I have men and women over 65 as friends, that I not only respect, but love. I deliberately overplay my youth hand just to rattle a few cages in this forum. My point is however, age is not a free ticket for respect and with age, does not automatically come wisdom.

I had an octogenarian tell me once; "Stupid young people, grow up to be stupid old people."
`

`
I still volunteer at a local nursing home, out of respect and admiration for our elderly.....plus I enjoy their company. I have men and women over 65 as friends, that I not only respect, but love. I deliberately overplay my youth hand just to rattle a few cages in this forum. My point is however, age is not a free ticket for respect and with age, does not automatically come wisdom.

I had an octogenarian tell me once; "Stupid young people, grow up to be stupid old people."
`

There's no fool ,like an old fool Wind....

I spent 3 decades as an emt.... think bartender w/stethoscope ....that biz is 95% ho-hum, and 5% oh sh*t! .....and we had so many frequent flyers ,most of significant age.

One of our assessment tactics was to simply keep 'em talking to us......so, lotta stories .......there's a wealth of experience out there, but there's much denial and ignorance that comes with it

Our USMB microcosom follows suit

~S~

I'd say if you received a full on nuclear strike killing 70% of the population you'd be fully united until the fight over which Jewz would be the new bosses

yeah , just for example . I can not ever consider uniting on anything with a person like you on anything . And you are just one of millions that are just like you WP .

`
`
------------------------------------ you are getting and are going to get what you deserve WP .

Forum List

Back