Is it fair to have pit bulls around other people?

Is it fair to have pit bulls around other people?

• Yes. It does the people no harm.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No. Never, unless the people say they don't mind.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Not around kids but around adults it's okay.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
It does not depend on the dog at all. It depends on how the dog was raised or trained. Pit Bulls are sweet dogs unless raised wrong. They wouldn't hurt a fly. There are exceptions. For example if you have a pit on a chain it is advisable to not let people approach it suddenly. The dog knows it is stuck and may react in a defensive manner if approached quickly or unexpectedly while on a chain.

What you feed the pit and how you treat it all help determine how it acts. Which is true of most any dog.
That is also true of alligators.

Dumb ass, an alligator WILL try to eat something in its space if it thinks it can, a dog won't attack if properly trained and treated and not threatened.

Pit Bulls are only dangerous if mistreated, mistrained or poorly handled. They are sweet dogs with lots of love and caring in them.

I agree Sarge, but when raised by drug dealers and thugs, they are often mishandled and mistrained. They are used for protection and trained to attack. That's why I am serious about a dog registry. And I have a real problem with people on food stamps being able to buy food for their animals. Feed your friggin children first.

I agree Sarge, but when raised by drug dealers and thugs, they are often mishandled and mistrained. They are used for protection and trained to attack. That's why I am serious about a dog registry. And I have a real problem with people on food stamps being able to buy food for their animals. Feed your friggin children first.

For some people their pets ARE their children. I consider my 3 dogs as part of the family, granted if it comes down to choosing between one of my kids and a pet I will chose the child, but not before I make sure there is no other choice.

Ah... but how many illigitimate children do you have with multiple partners that are being fed by the taxpayers? No one has the "right" to own animals if they don't have the means to care for them properly. I feel the same way about kids, but realize that's an unpopular position.

It does not depend on the dog at all. It depends on how the dog was raised or trained. Pit Bulls are sweet dogs unless raised wrong. They wouldn't hurt a fly. There are exceptions. For example if you have a pit on a chain it is advisable to not let people approach it suddenly. The dog knows it is stuck and may react in a defensive manner if approached quickly or unexpectedly while on a chain.

What you feed the pit and how you treat it all help determine how it acts. Which is true of most any dog.

Dumb ass, an alligator WILL try to eat something in its space if it thinks it can, a dog won't attack if properly trained and treated and not threatened.

Pit Bulls are only dangerous if mistreated, mistrained or poorly handled. They are sweet dogs with lots of love and caring in them.
Problem being, one doesn't know if a particular pit is sweet natured or not. And since they do have a reputation for killing...is it right to have them around other people?

Problem being, one doesn't know if a particular pit is sweet natured or not. And since they do have a reputation for killing...is it right to have them around other people?

Are you mad at Ang? Is that why this is being rehashed for the second or third time?

Thoughts?

The poll answers are insufficient.

It depends on the individual dog.

It depends on the owner.

A Pit Bull, re-read that name to gain understanding of the breed, is like a dangerous weapon. It might be fine fenced into a junkyard or running on 500 acres out in the country. In a city or a neighborhood with kids? No way.

Owners who have Pit Bulls are making a statement. That statement is not always "responsibiity". The difference between a loaded gun and a Pit Bull is that the gun can't stand up and go next door and kill a new born.

The gun moves only when it is moved. The dog can move on its own and make decisions that aren't always in the best interest of people.

How often do we read about a Cockerspanial mauling a child? It seems like once every year we get another Pit Bull ate the kid story.

Your thoughts on the training are probably right until the dog gets doggy dementia, then another kid dies.

How often do we read about a Cockerspanial mauling a child? It seems like once every year we get another Pit Bull ate the kid story.

Your thoughts on the training are probably right until the dog gets doggy dementia, then another kid dies.

And if you delve a little deeper into those stories, you'll usually find out that Mom & Dad were off minding their own business, paying no attention to little Timmy. Meanwhile, little Timmy's pulling ears, whiskers, blowing/barking into the dogs face, and trying to ride him/her like a pony.

Responsibility is a *requirement* on the owners part. Had a pit/rottie mix where I worked at one point, and that dog was the *biggest* baby in the world.

marley.jpg

Luissa, that looks exactly like a picture of my Staffy/PB. There's only one thing wrong; the cat would be limp.

After my son found her chained in the basement of an abandoned rental, he brought her home and made her our family pet. She was as gentle as she could be but it was in her nature to despise small creatures. We installed a 100 foot long line which she could travel along and 15' on both sides. Then I put a chain link fence around about an acre so she could have free rein there. Son loved her but was too busy to walk her as much as she needed. I began to walk her every night for about an hour. They absolutely do need that kind of care, and attention. At the time we had 40-acres but that wasn't enough that cats wouldn't enter her domain.

They are naturally a loving breed, which desperately needs human interaction, and as fond as we all were of ours, I believe the breeding of them should be discouraged because of the way people who will own them will tend to them. I think the insurance requirements for PBs (as well as other breeds) actually discourages more responsible people from becoming owners

Last edited:

Which in the end means it depends on the dog - the individual dog - more than the breed.

Chaining dogs is a good receipe for a dog bite.

When you have no fence you have no choice. Stupid people need to learn not to run up to dogs on chains.

imho NO fence NO dog.

And how many people properly train their dogs? I know I never had mine trained.

Pits have different instincts and are very agressive in Pack mode.

They are the preferred breed for drug dealers and thugs. I would like to see a dog registry at the police station so they have a list of homes to watch.
Are you trying to out-stupid Anguille?

It's not usually too hard to determine whether a dog is preparing to kill you.

Here's an idea: treat all animals with big sharp teeth as though they have the potential to kill you if you piss them off (eg: by kicking them) and act accordingly (eg: not kicking them).

Thoughts?

The poll answers are insufficient.

It depends on the individual dog.

It depends on the owner.

A Pit Bull, re-read that name to gain understanding of the breed, is like a dangerous weapon. It might be fine fenced into a junkyard or running on 500 acres out in the country. In a city or a neighborhood with kids? No way.

Owners who have Pit Bulls are making a statement. That statement is not always "responsibiity". The difference between a loaded gun and a Pit Bull is that the gun can't stand up and go next door and kill a new born.

The gun moves only when it is moved. The dog can move on its own and make decisions that aren't always in the best interest of people.
You can make any dog mean, no matter the breed.

Forum List

Back