Is freedom of thought and speech obsolete?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
"I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson Memorial

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Do you agree or disagree with these concepts?

"I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson Memorial

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

I agree with Jefferson, not so much with Voltaire; too much incivility in the way things are said.

Of course. These beliefs are the foundation of part of the First Amendment.

Yeah. In the past--one could count on their fellow man to not say something bizarrely offensive. Today, the political right has made it fashionable.
Actually, the rhetoric of political campaigns at the beginning of our democracy makes today's backbiting look almost tame.

Thought no. You can think whatever you want. Thought is uncontrollable. Speech is a bit trickier.

But given how divided our families are, you don't need the government to control either, when you have to walk on eggshells around the ones you love.

Is freedom of thought and speech obsolete?​

Yes in this Country it's gone.
Horseshit.

Libel and slander have always been illegal. Fox News and Alex Jones have learned that the hard way.

That's does not mean free speech is gone.

Horseshit.

Libel and slander have always been illegal. Fox News and Alex Jones have learned that the hard way.

The Democrat party acting in their role of governance having worked directly with social media to censor certain views DID end it.

You just don't care because the views that were censored were not yours.

Horseshit.

Illegal yes, but also free speech. So, that right there is an infringement on the 1st Amendment. Does it mean you should go around doing it? No, but it is still speech, and yes there are consequences.

But I'm just being overly technical. Carry on.

Illegal yes, but also free speech. So, that right there is an infringement on the 1st Amendment. Does it mean you should go around doing it? No, but it is still speech, and yes there are consequences.

But I'm just being overly technical. Carry on.
You are not free to rob someone of their hard-earned good reputation. That's what libel and slander are.

For you to blow that up to "free speech is dead" is beyond stupid.

“Is freedom of thought and speech obsolete?”

Of course not – it’s very much alive and relevant.

But it is under attack by the authoritarian, neo-fascist right; by conservatives who seek to compel conformity and punish dissent.

We know this to be true the consequence of Republican efforts to ban books and drag shows, with laws that deny transgender Americans their right to free expression, measures that criminalize the teaching of facts and the truth in schools, that violate the First Amendment rights of social media, and that vilify and demonize gay Americans.

American’s of good faith need to fight back against the right’s agenda hostile to freedom of thought and speech, in the courts and at the ballot box.

Is freedom of thought and speech obsolete?​

Yes in this Country it's gone.
No it isn't. It's alive and well right here.

Come on, in all fairness the mods may move things around but I've never known em to edit posts or censor text. Have you?

Generally there's a free exchange of ideas on this forum, yes?

Forum List

Back