Is freedom of thought and speech obsolete?

Freedom of thought is absolute
Freedom of speech not always absolute as libel and slander laws are found to be Constitutional and only the government is capable of violating your First Amendment rights.
Freedom of speech is actually freedom of expression, in some form. However, one doesn't have an absolute right to be heard. What one expresses enters the marketplace of ideas, where it may or may not survive.

Freedom of speech is actually freedom of expression, in some form. However, one doesn't have an absolute right to be heard. What one expresses enters the marketplace of ideas, where it may or may not survive.

Except in cases of libel and/or slander.

So freedom of speech is not absolute. And only the government can violate your First Amendment rights. If I deny you access to my business or property because I don't like what your T shirt says I have every right to do so.

Except in cases of libel and/or slander.

So freedom of speech is not absolute. And only the government can violate your First Amendment rights. If I deny you access to my business or property because I don't like what your T shirt says I have every right to do so.
Freedom of expression, including speech, is absolute, but not without risks. Thousands of black men get shot every year for expressing themselves.

Yeah. In the past--one could count on their fellow man to not say something bizarrely offensive. Today, the political right has made it fashionable.

Actually the issue is the left being offended by anything they disagree with, but you pretend that it's the right that has gone off kilter.

Actually the issue is the left being offended by anything they disagree with, but you pretend that it's the right that has gone off kilter.
True. When you think of someone freaking out over something they disagree with conservatives don't immediately come to mind.

Freedom of expression, including speech, is absolute, but not without risks. Thousands of black men get shot every year for expressing themselves.
But it isn't because I as a private citizen can deny your permission to express yourself on my property.

Let's say reasoned arguments.
/------/
iu

Forum List

Back