• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
Is Affirmative Action racist? I think it is. The whole issue is that minorities, mainly black people, use this to not get somewhere on merit, like non-minorities do, but to get somewhere based on the colour of their skin....with the quotas etc.

So, Affirmative Action by it's very nature therefore, is actually racist.

• Banned
Is Affirmative Action racist? I think it is. The whole issue is that minorities, mainly black people, use this to not get somewhere on merit, like non-minorities do, but to get somewhere based on the colour of their skin....with the quotas etc.

I've put this in the Clean Debate Zone, this is because I hope it can avoid the name-calling or whatever.

What created the need for AA is what's racist. The GOP treatment of the first black president substantiates that claim.

• Banned
What created the need for AA is what's racist. The GOP treatment of the first black president substantiates that claim.

I don't think people dislike Obama because he's black. I think they dislike him for numerous reasons, such as his policies are Quasi-Marxist and he acts like a Dictator with all the Executive Orders and ignoring Congress.

I don't think people dislike Obama because he's black. I think they dislike him for numerous reasons, such as his policies are Quasi-Marxist and he acts like a Dictator with all the Executive Orders and ignoring Congress.

AA was well intended but it isn't fair to better qualified individuals who get passed over due to race.

As for racism and Obama? I would vote for Mia Love in a New York minute because I like her stance on issues, I would never vote for Obama because of his stance on issues. The racist card and Obama is worn out and lame.

There are some that hate him because of the color of his skin, but I do not believe the GOP in whole subscribes to this thought process and is just a race bait topic for some on the Progressive Left.

Former President Clinton was hated by the GOP and he is white, so the race card is sad and pathetic when used by those on the Progressive Left.

As for AA, well it was created during a time when America was still segregated and it was used to give the minority community a better chance, but I believe in today time it is outdated and not needed.

My opinion and I will be labeled a racist for this...

No, affirmative action programs are not racist. They are not because racism is a set of beliefs and for an program, pogrom or other deed to be racist, it must be inspired by those beliefs in order to qualify as a racist one. Affirmative action does discriminate in terms of to whom its favors are granted. Discrimination, however, is not always inspired by racism. In the case of affirmative action, racist beliefs and the desire/will to act on them are not what inspires it.

Define "racism".

Define "racism".

Well I don't know these days, it seems the sheer fact of being a white person is now pretty much "racist". This is how absurd the issue has now become.

No, affirmative action programs are not racist. They are not because racism is a set of beliefs and for an program, pogrom or other deed to be racist, it must be inspired by those beliefs in order to qualify as a racist one. Affirmative action does discriminate in terms of to whom its favors are granted. Discrimination, however, is not always inspired by racism. In the case of affirmative action, racist beliefs and the desire/will to act on them are not what inspires it.
I would consider the belief that a minority group is unable to excel without your help a rather racist belief and the underscoring belief that inspires AA.

Is Affirmative Action racist? [...]
I can't offer an answer to your (very good) question because I honestly don't know what "racism" is. And I believe if you ask a dozen different people, six Black and six White, what they believe racism is you will receive a dozen answers ranging from dissimilar to totally different.

As regards Affirmative Action; I believe there was an acceptable reason for it during those years immediately following the 1964 Civil Rights Act. But I believe the essential purpose for that reason expired at some point within the '70s and is no longer valid.

I believe competing for advancement in contemporary American society is especially hard for Blacks. But it is far from as difficult as it once was and certainly is not impossible. I believe providing Blacks with preferential treatment because of their ethnicity is patently unfair, a counterproductive mistake, and is no longer tolerable. But whether it qualifies as "racism" is, to me, questionable.

Define "racism".

Well I don't know these days, it seems the sheer fact of being a white person is now pretty much "racist". This is how absurd the issue has now become.

I'm asking how you define it, in the context of your OP.

I would consider the belief that a minority group is unable to excel without your help a rather racist belief and the underscoring belief that inspires AA.

So if this is case, why keep Affirmative Action, why is it still used?

So if this is case, why keep Affirmative Action, why is it still used?
Political deference to the minority lobby.

That's not the "underlying belief that inspires AA".

The underlying belief of affirmative action is that the system itself is flawed, and needs a correction.

Define "racism".

To me racism is drawing attention to the skin colour in itself, this is racism. So eg. Black Lives Matter, NAACP are racist as is the term "White Privilege"

Define "racism".

To me racism is drawing attention to the skin colour in itself, this is racism. So eg. Black Lives Matter, NAACP are racist as is the term "White Privilege"

You are saying that just mentioning race is "racism"?

That's not the "underlying belief that inspires AA".

The underlying belief of affirmative action is that the system itself is flawed, and needs a correction.
Yes it is the underlying belief and what you just stated is the same thing. The 'system' is flawed so minorities cannot excel.

That is blatantly incorrect IMO.

Define "racism".

You are saying that just mentioning race is "racism"?

Yes I am. Why should race even matter? What should matter is merit.

Forum List

Back