Is A Hijab A Symbol Of Misogyny?

I'm not sure what people want done about it. Most of this crap is going down in countries that no one has any control over unless there is a nonstop regime change. Unfortunately, regime change usually involves putting a dictator in there that supports this nonsense.............after name your ngo professing to be all about women's rights is initiating an overthrow of the existing government in that specific nation-state.
Nobody can do anything about backwards cultures in other countries.

All we can do is oppose the morons who are supporting and abetting the spread of this backwardness into liberal Western Civilization by standing up for our own liberal values instead of that of the knuckle dragging troglodytes.

So what are you doing about backwards piss-artists like the "Christian" fundies? These knuckle-draggers are out to ruin our entire country.

No, we don't need them in the future.
Wrong. We absolutely need to empower and assimilate moderate muslims. The people who will reform Islam will not be the terrified, ignorant people cowering in fear in muslim countries. they will be the modern muslims exposed to western societies, which have been formed and reformed away from magical hooha by better, secular ideas.

oh...........you aren't aware of the prior secular governments in those countries, are you? You simply lack education. You aren't aware of the waves either.

Different religions require different headgear ...

4133U8V3XcL._SX385_.jpg

Headgear itself isn't misogynistic.
Women who do not belong to a Catholic order are not required to wear the uniform of those that belong.

I'm not sure what people want done about it. Most of this crap is going down in countries that no one has any control over unless there is a nonstop regime change. Unfortunately, regime change usually involves putting a dictator in there that supports this nonsense.............after name your ngo professing to be all about women's rights is initiating an overthrow of the existing government in that specific nation-state.
Nobody can do anything about backwards cultures in other countries.

All we can do is oppose the morons who are supporting and abetting the spread of this backwardness into liberal Western Civilization by standing up for our own liberal values instead of that of the knuckle dragging troglodytes.

So what are you doing about backwards piss-artists like the "Christian" fundies? These knuckle-draggers are out to ruin our entire country.
The very most most extreme Christians are analogous to mainstream Muslims in their attitudes.

I have no use for either.

You are a benightedly ignorant and unintelligent individual so have no understanding of anything at all.

your response to my post is idiotic. People do
express themselves via their dress and SO WHAT IF I COMMENT on the issue considering some of the REASONS for some particular fashion fads. ???

Comment away, Rosie. It's just so that I can't really get all worked up about "fashion fads".

The only thing of interest to me in all this kerfuffle is folks claiming the mantle of religion in order to control women, as men have done throughout the ages, and others claiming the mantle of liberalism in order to, wait for it, control women. For, since women are being oppressed, (other) women need to be besmirched for exercising their liberty in a way the oh-so liberal overlords cannot approve. And, in a move of head-exploding hypocrisy, they then turn around and denigrate those standing up for women's rights to wear whatever they eff'n please - up to, and including, the hijab - in the name of real, or true liberalism.

Funny, that.

But hey, if "fashion fads" are your thing, go ahead...

express themselves via their dress and SO WHAT IF I COMMENT on the issue considering some of the REASONS for some particular fashion fads. ???

Comment away, Rosie. It's just so that I can't really get all worked up about "fashion fads".

The only thing of interest to me in all this kerfuffle is folks claiming the mantle of religion in order to control women, as men have done throughout the ages, and others claiming the mantle of liberalism in order to, wait for it, control women. For, since women are being oppressed, (other) women need to be besmirched for exercising their liberty in a way the oh-so liberal overlords cannot approve. And, in a move of head-exploding hypocrisy, they then turn around and denigrate those standing up for women's rights to wear whatever they eff'n please - up to, and including, the hijab - in the name of real, or true liberalism.

Funny, that.

Why does Omar choose the 'fashion fad' of a religion that denigrates, abuses and treats women as slaves today? She wears her hijab like it's part of her body it ain't a 'fad' for her.

Funny, that.

Why does Omar choose the 'fashion fad' of a religion that denigrates, abuses and treats women as slaves today? She wears her hijab like it's part of her body it ain't a 'fad' for her.
When she isn't trying to get ISIS members out of jail or hating on Jews, she is encouraging Muslims in the U.S to cause problems. She wears the costume as a in your face gesture to emphasize her Islamist identity and as a rallying point to Mylims looking to turn this country Islamic

Funny, that.

IMO---(based on all sorts of evidence) SHE IS AN ISLAMIST

Setting aside the dumb, ignorant misrepresentations above, Omar is a member of Congress. There are ways to contact members of Congress. Why don't you figure it out, ask her the question, since it's such a burning issue for you. You might actually learn a thing or two, and maybe even learn to respect a woman's choice of garment.

Why must Muslim women constantly wear head coverings? I read it is because the woman is obeying and submitting to Allah. Remember, Islam is ruled by males.
If it’s as a fashion accessory, wearing a hijab is fine to me as with any piece of clothing. If it’s because of fear of magical retribution, as with any other religious gear worn for that reason, then it’s incredibly silly. If it’s out of fear that men will punish you, then it’s misogyny and abuse.

The specifics of female covering in Islam isn't Koranic, which only invokes women to be modest, as many religions do. How much of a woman is covered depends on the local culture. They range from a simple headscarf to a full-on head-to-toe burkha. Many women, including close friends of mine, wear the hijab as a fashion statement as well as a symbol of their Islamic identity.

2015-Sexy-Beaded-Lace-High-Neck-Long-Sleeve-Muslim-Evening-Dresses-Hijab-Arabic-Style-Evening-Gowns.jpg

it has a lot to do with the local culture
3a19737c8e32d49db6830e62b62291c5.jpg
she can wear whatever she wants! yum yum

Setting aside the dumb, ignorant misrepresentations above, Omar is a member of Congress. There are ways to contact members of Congress. Why don't you figure it out, ask her the question, since it's such a burning issue for you. You might actually learn a thing or two, and maybe even learn to respect a woman's choice of garment.

WHY ilhan omar CHOOSES to wear an elaborately draped colorful imitation of Arabian head dress------is a REASONABLE
question. Her religion required head covering----NOT A GLARING REPRO OF
THE COSTUME OF A FOREIGN COUNTRY

WHY ilhan omar CHOOSES to wear an elaborately draped colorful imitation of Arabian head dress------is a REASONABLE question.

I find, what Representative Omar wears is up to her, and none of my business. I further find, if you want an answer to an allegedly reasonable question, it would be up to you to address that question to the only person who is in a position to answer it, and that would be Representative Omar. You don't. You aren't interested in an answer, and neither is Leo, and you've answered it yourself already. "Islamist". Make that "ISLAMIST", in your most humble opinion. It is much rather a way for the resident islamophobes to join up to slander her out of sheer resentment. Therefore, I don't think the question is reasonable, because the motivation that compels it, isn't.

Whatever, folks elected Omar while she wore the hijab throughout her campaign, so I conclude most of the U.S. - at least Omar's constituency - isn't all that concerned about a piece of garment, or the slanderous hyperventilation it causes in some. Good, I say. Let them be known by the way they react.

“Is A Hijab A Symbol Of Misogyny?”

Of course not.

To believe that it is a ‘symbol of misogyny’ is both ignorant and bigoted – ignorance of the fact that things that might be perceived to be ‘Islamic’ are actually traditions and customs that long predate the advent of Islam.

And it’s bigotry the consequence of that ignorance and an unwarranted fear of Islam and Muslims.
Are you suggesting the question itself is both ignorant, and bigoted? You cannot be serious. Would it then be "ignorant and bigoted" of me to ask ANY question about a culture I am unfamiliar with? If so, then how the heck can we EVER learn about and be inclusive of, any culture we are not familiar with?

Seriously, was it "ignorant and bigoted" of me to ask a Jewish friend of mine about Kosher foods/cooking, and why he practiced Kosher cooking?

Did you know that in certain areas of Europe, during the "Dark Ages", the Jews were blamed for the Plague? Why? Because they weren't getting sick at anywhere near the same rates. Why is that? They have, even at that time, a religious/cultural practice of washing their hands before handling food. Something I discovered by ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT A CULTURE I WAS UNFAMILIAR WITH.

Of course not.

To believe that it is a ‘symbol of misogyny’ is both ignorant and bigoted – ignorance of the fact that things that might be perceived to be ‘Islamic’ are actually traditions and customs that long predate the advent of Islam.

And it’s bigotry the consequence of that ignorance and an unwarranted fear of Islam and Muslims.
Are you suggesting the question itself is both ignorant, and bigoted? You cannot be serious. Would it then be "ignorant and bigoted" of me to ask ANY question about a culture I am unfamiliar with? If so, then how the heck can we EVER learn about and be inclusive of, any culture we are not familiar with?

Seriously, was it "ignorant and bigoted" of me to ask a Jewish friend of mine about Kosher foods/cooking, and why he practiced Kosher cooking?

Did you know that in certain areas of Europe, during the "Dark Ages", the Jews were blamed for the Plague? Why? Because they weren't getting sick at anywhere near the same rates. Why is that? They have, even at that time, a religious/cultural practice of washing their hands before handling food. Something I discovered by ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT A CULTURE I WAS UNFAMILIAR WITH.

feel free to ask----I am very familiar with Islamic religion and culture. My very own husband was born in a strictly SHARIAH SHIT HOLE and his status in that land was
LEGALLY---"dhimmi". I have worked with and socialized with muslims in the USA for the past 50 years-----way back then I visited a mosque on invitation and also read the Koran. I would not have to ask omar WHY she decorates herself in the Arabian style

Already figured it out. Most in this thread say she is trying to shove her religion up our asses.

Of course not.

feel free to ask----I am very familiar with Islamic religion and culture. My very own husband was born in a strictly SHARIAH SHIT HOLE and his status in that land was
LEGALLY---"dhimmi". I have worked with and socialized with muslims in the USA for the past 50 years-----way back then I visited a mosque on invitation and also read the Koran. I would not have to ask omar WHY she decorates herself in the Arabian style

This thread is not about WHY she wears a hijab it is asks is it a symbol of mysogyny. We already know why she wears it it's because Islam is ruled by males and she chooses to be subservient. Apparently her subservience to Islam is more important than adhering to the U.S. tradition of the separation of church and state.

Of course not.

This thread is not about WHY she wears a hijab it is asks is it a symbol of mysogyny. We already know why she wears it it's because Islam is ruled by males and she chooses to be subservient.

OK I do not think it is a symbol of
misogyny and more than is a bra-----or
high heeled shoes----or FRILLY APRONS

OK I do not think it is a symbol of
misogyny and more than is a bra-----or
high heeled shoes----or FRILLY APRONS

None of those are mandated by a religion that believes in male-theocratic rule. No typical American male mandates that women wear any particular clothing as a symbol of 'modesty' and subservience. Why do some of you condone this?

Forum List

Back