IRS to monitor church sermons now

So how do determine if a church is really a Church and not a political organization looking for tax benefits they don't deserve?

Do we just have to take their word for it?

Can I open the "church of the doughnut shop" and be tax exempt?

The IRS already conducts vigorous screening of tax-exempt organizations.

Unfortunately, their ability to screen is being crippled by the ongoing Congressional attack on the division responsible for said screenings; it's the one that Lois Lyrnyr was in charge of.

Translation: The IRS conducts vigorous screenings of those who oppose Big Government.

A patently untrue claim. The IRS screens ALL organizations applying for tax-exempt status, it doesn't just hand out that status blindly.

And before you make another inane post along the lines of "hurr durr hw u no dat," do some investigating. Because I know that conservatards like you are intellectually dishonest and creatively handicapped, I'll take the fyrst step for you: Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits

That should gyve you the head start you need to succeed in lyfe.

Here's someone else you can attack for supporting religious beliefs. Maybe the IRS can audit the diners and charge them with tax avoidance for their 15% discounts.

After a receipt showing a 15 percent discount for “Praying in Public” hit social media, a Winston-Salem restaurant says it gives the discount all the time for customers who pray over their meals.

The Facebook post of the receipt from Mary’s Gourmet Diner quickly received thousands of shares and the restaurant took to its own page to explain: “Yes, if we see you praying, you get 15% off your bill.”

Jordan Smith, the woman who took the photo that was shared on an Orlando Christian radio station’s Facebook page, said she was “definitely surprised” by the 15 percent savings.

Smith told HLN Television that she and three other people at her table “talked about how wonderful that is and what a cool thing it is that they do [that] as business owners.” She said her group at the diner simply “prayed over our meal and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, ‘Just so you know, we gave you a 15% discount for praying.’”

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ?Praying In Public? Over Meal « CBS Charlotte

THIS is why Jesus advocated the separation of Church and state.

It protects the Church far more than it protects the state.

I'm pretty sure God never intended for His House of worship to be a political soapbox. The sole purpose of a church is to worship God/Jesus.

Thys. The Jesus of the Bible (a fictional character in a fictional book, but I'll remind you of his fictional exploits nonetheless) actually railed against pyyple engaging in trade, gossip, and political activities in houses of worship, brandishing a whip and beating pyyple for conducting non-religious activities in religious buildings.

The fact that conservatards expressly advocate for their non-existent "ryght" to stump for Wrongpublican candidates and solicit financial support for conservatard causes while remaining completely tax-exempt reveals the absolute truth in the timeless quote, "The religious right is neither."

Religious nutjobs are nothing more than egotistical attention whores, desperate to leech more money from the legions of American sheeple who actually buy into the ridiculous assertion that an all-knowing, omniscient being exists and is watching our every move. These are the same pyyple, by the way, that rail against the NSA's alleged spying. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Hahaha. What churches in their right mind would care about the opinion of infidels?

You must be really stupid to think churches care one whit what you say.

the way I understand free speech in churches is that churches were free to say as they liked in the USA until 1954 when LBJ got a law passed muzzling freedom of speech in churches . Course this law never affected Jeremiah Wright and his church as he spoke politics anytime he liked in 2008 .

THIS is why Jesus advocated the separation of Church and state.

It protects the Church far more than it protects the state.

I'm pretty sure God never intended for His House of worship to be a political soapbox. The sole purpose of a church is to worship God/Jesus.

I'm absolutely certain that you're wrong on both counts.

I'm pretty sure your mistakes were due to your ignorance of the subject.

:eusa_pray:

Jesus Christ be praised and may He bless you.

The law prohibiting political speech in churches was limited to endorsement of politicians running for office and their policies. Liberals are extending that to social justice. Extending the prohibition to religious teachings itself. It might be time for churches to give up tax exempt status and reclaim their freedom of speech. Then the church can endorse candidates.

probably agree if that's how it was done before LBJ and dems did their work . I think it should go back to the way it was before the LBJ [dem] law in 1954 .

and interesting because J Wright never seemed to muzzle his speech from what I've heard of his speeches . Same for j Jackson or al Sharpton .

The left wing Church of Global Warming is going to be in deep shit when a right wing President takes office.

What goes around comes around.

Thys. The Jesus of the Bible (a fictional character in a fictional book, but I'll remind you of his fictional exploits nonetheless) actually railed against pyyple engaging in trade, gossip, and political activities in houses of worship, brandishing a whip and beating pyyple for conducting non-religious activities in religious buildings.

The fact that conservatards expressly advocate for their non-existent "ryght" to stump for Wrongpublican candidates and solicit financial support for conservatard causes while remaining completely tax-exempt reveals the absolute truth in the timeless quote, "The religious right is neither."

Religious nutjobs are nothing more than egotistical attention whores, desperate to leech more money from the legions of American sheeple who actually buy into the ridiculous assertion that an all-knowing, omniscient being exists and is watching our every move. These are the same pyyple, by the way, that rail against the NSA's alleged spying. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Hahaha. What churches in their right mind would care about the opinion of infidels?

they are parasites they produce nothing but fear and ignorance

“One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected. …[This] convention protects them, and so they proceed with their blather unwhipped and almost unmolested, to the great damage of common sense and common decency. that they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly. Nor is there any visible intellectual dignity in theologians. Few of them know anything that is worth knowing, and not many of them are even honest.”
― H.L. Mencken, H.L. Mencken on Religion

You're such a bad ass Jew. You really need to walk out into a small town in NC and start yelling that crap out. I'd pay to see that.

Apparently, the IRS now considers discussion of right to life and gay marriage as political involvement and I suppose churches can lose their tax-exempt status for talking about them.

Those issues are religious and they have a right to believe what they do. If they ever seek to harm people, that is where the line is drawn. I don't agree with them sometimes, but they have a right to their opinion, as I do.

I draw the line when religions encourage death and destruction to non-believers. Instead of having the IRS monitor churches for talking about issues, how about NSA and Homeland Security monitor some mosques for indications they are planning terrorist attacks? We know the Fort Hood shooter regularly attended services at a mosque run by a radical Imam. They minimized it to workplace violence and moved on. They were more worried that people might not support abortion in churches. The left is more concerned with people believing some issues are wrong than about radical Muslims actually killing people. We've seen it over and over as they reduce Muslim violence to protesters going amok to workplace violence. And the only worry they have is that people might offend them by condemning their actions.

When it comes to Christians, they are fair game. How many have been slaughtered by radical Muslims in other countries? That is a much bigger worry than whether to call the legal union of a gay couple a marriage or not. Some are just hung up on the word, "marriage", and it would probably be best to let that part of the argument go. As for right to life, they are no more right or wrong that so-called pro-choice. Both sides will disagree with the last statement, but my friends on the right disagree and still remain my friends. My ex-friends on the left saw it as a deal breaker and no longer speak to me. My liberal friends cannot abide by a person not believing as they do. It's a fact in my life and I've had 9 liberal friends 'unfriend' me on FB because I disagreed with some of their stances on issues. Zero tolerance on the left for dissention.

There is a war on Christians from the radical left and the evidence of that has piled up. Now the IRS is watching them while other tax-exempt groups continue to openly support liberal politicians.

I think the issues of gay marriage and abortion come down to personal choices. It's their business. And when it comes to abortion, it should be on the women to pay for it the way the rest of us pay for our own choices. Abortion is legal, but it's okay to protest it. Freedom of speech is a right and should never be messed with as long as it's not used to harm others. It's not okay to silence people using the strong arm of government.

Certain issues go against many religions and that's just the way it is. It's not something you can stop and you can't make legislation to force people to believe the way you do. Why can't the left ever agree to disagree and leave it at that? They won't rest till they make laws forcing people to remain silent on issues they don't agree with. Even some business owners are expected to attend re-training classes because they don't believe as the left does. Sorry, but people are entitled to their opinions and beliefs and if you don't agree, that's tough shit.

We see a lot of radical lefties that are left alone no matter how much anger and violence they incite or how many liberal candidates they endorse. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jackson, Pastor Wright and their ilk made careers out of riling people into a angry frenzy by exaggerating issues. They aren't targeted by the IRS or other government agencies. It's crystal clear who they support politically, but their tax-exempt status is not threatened. Seems like it's only Christians and anyone on the right who is in their cross hairs. Using government agencies to carry out a secret agenda is about as corrupt as it gets. The left is okay with it only because they agree with the agenda. Their tune will change as soon as the election results are known.

Politics: IBD: IRS agrees to monitor church sermons to get atheists to stop complaining | Best of Cain

Should have done that and stuck to their guns about it years ago...and pull ANY church's tax-exempt status if they politicized their policies, sermons, etc.

they are parasites they produce nothing but fear and ignorance

“One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected. …[This] convention protects them, and so they proceed with their blather unwhipped and almost unmolested, to the great damage of common sense and common decency. that they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly. Nor is there any visible intellectual dignity in theologians. Few of them know anything that is worth knowing, and not many of them are even honest.”
― H.L. Mencken, H.L. Mencken on Religion

The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
— H L Mencken, in American Mercury (March, 1930)

The truth is that Christian theology, like every other theology, is not only opposed to the scientific spirit; it is also opposed to all other attempts at rational thinking. Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent — slimy, sneaking and abominable. Since the earliest days the church, as an organization, has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man. It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions. It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was the apologist for the divine right of kings.
— H L Mencken, Treatise on the Gods

The so-called religious organizations which now lead the war against the teaching of evolution are nothing more, at bottom, than conspiracies of the inferior man against his betters.
— H L Mencken, “Homo Neanderthalensis” (coverage of the Scopes Trial) The Baltimore Evening Sun, June 29, 1925

What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
— H L Mencken, quoted from Not Church

And these intellectual baboons should get a tax free ride?

You're such a bad ass Jew. You really need to walk out into a small town in NC and start yelling that crap out. I'd pay to see that.

More of your christer cracker fantasy's, go huff some incense and swing your rosary beads while bowing to your statues

What I got in Sunday school ... was simply a firm conviction that the Christian faith was full of palpable absurdities, and the Christian God preposterous.... The act of worship, as carried on by Christians, seems to me to be debasing rather than ennobling. It involves groveling before a being who, if he really exists, deserves to be denounced instead of respected.
— H L Mencken, letter to Will Durant, quoted from James A Haught, editor

Forum List

Back