Iron Maiden is not in the Rock and Roll HOF

Let's not take over this thread -- these and more are explored in the aforementioned thread.

So, you stop posting about it. I posted to you who posted about it in response to others who posted about it. This is an informative post. :D

images

I go back to... let's see... Cream, Airplane, et al. That's when I was a spectator, before the production daze.
You, punk?
Oh wait, that's right -- you weren't even alive yet. Silly me.

DUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbutthead

I figured you more of a Yani guy.....

Deep Purple are plagiarists. (see Hush, derived from Lennon's A Day in the Life)

That's a stretch for even someone of your limited intellect.

I guess both songs DO have an A Major note in them - at which point the similarity ends.

Not nearly to the extent Zeppelin were though. Is that group of posers in the hall?
I mean, if Pete Rose, all time baseball hitter, can't get into his hall... the idiom is a joke.

Yeah, you hate Zep, we all know it.

Let's not take over this thread -- these and more are explored in the aforementioned thread.

So, you stop posting about it. I posted to you who posted about it in response to others who posted about it. This is an informative post. :D

images

Not really, but I gave you an "informative" just to bug you. ;)

You were the first to post video, and using one of LZ's victims so I had to set the record straight, pun intended -- but videos of LZ plagiarism could go on all day and night, and we already have a thread for that, so.....

Why do we say "set the record straight"? Aren't records round?

Even if Zeppelin did take some allowances with certain songs, it certainly doesn't take away from the fact that they were extremely talented, great showmen, innovative and unique for their time, as well as incredibly influential on many of today's musicians. Not to mention, they are STILL popular even today among a lot of the generations who came after their hay day (like my generation) so give credit where credit is due!!!

Well --- yeah actually it does.

"Give credit where credit is due" is the ultimate irony considering...

well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

People keep saying this. To which Led Zeppelin songs are you referring to?

Most of 'em, sadly.

Not just old blues guys were ripped off ... Bert Jansch, Anne Bredon (via Joan Baez), Jake Holmes, Richie Valens, Moby Grape... we did a thread on this back here. Ironically the tune they were being sued for in the topic of that thread is one of the few that isn't directly ripped off.

The delicious hypocrisy of which is that when a group called Little Roger put out a version of Stairway using the lyrics from the Gilligan's Island theme song, LZ sued the pants off 'em. The Jake Holmes and Moby Grapes and Anne Bredons and Bert Jansches got no such satisfaction. And I believe it was Willie Dixon's publisher/record company that got the legal compensation rather than Willie himself. But at least somebody somewhere got sump'm.

I came across a live album from a blues festival recorded around 1964 which, if you played the tracks in a certain order, gave you half of the first LZ album. Wasn't the whole album since the folkier stuff (Joan Baez and Bert Jansch) weren't on it, but with the exception of the eminently forgettable throwaways "Good Times Bad Times" and "Your Time is Gonna Come", the rest of the LZ material was there, and done five years before LZ existed. And when I say the same songs, I mean word for word lyric and note for note playing.
Dixon himself got an out of court settlement Pogo in 87.....from Zepp themselves for 2 songs.....the blues hall of fame ? said it was pretty hefty....he died in 92........

images

You were the first to post video, and using one of LZ's victims so I had to set the record straight, pun intended -- but videos of LZ plagiarism could go on all day and night, and we already have a thread for that, so.....

Not really, but then you plagiarize at least as well as these guys do so I expect the record to be a bit off the tracking.

Which isn't straight.

I just set that record straight.

:cool:

images

Not really, but then you plagiarize at least as well as these guys do so I expect the record to be a bit off the tracking.

Which isn't straight.

tumblr_m9q98jPeiT1qf9djko1_400.gif

images

Which isn't straight.

Cryptic, man.

images

Which isn't straight.

Cryptic, man.

You've never set a record stylus for balance and anti-skate then. To set the tracking of record straight?

2002e004.jpg

Oh I got the tracking part. And well I remember that procedure, having spent some 25 years in radio stations.

I've been using linear tracking tonearms for the last 20 years or so though. Only have one with a radial arm, and it's offline.

Well I didn't listen to the songs in their entirety, but they sound pretty good! I really liked the sound of the first song. I wonder why I've never heard of these guys before?

Well, you've heard of Michael Schenker, right? He started with the Scorpions, then had his biggest success with UFO, then started his own band.

I think his brother is still playing guitar with the Scorps.

Last edited:
The delicious hypocrisy of which is that when a group called Little Roger put out a version of Stairway using the lyrics from the Gilligan's Island theme song, LZ sued the pants off 'em.

I remember hearing that on Doctor Demento back in the late 1970s!
4i6Ckte.gif

I like Led Zeppelin's music better. That's what it comes down to me. I like their style better too. I can't stand that 80s style. It was just . . . gay.

these guys are pure HARD Rock......

I've never been much of a Slayer fan. :D There are only a few heavy metal bands that I like, and out of those only a few songs. I really prefer classic rock, and I like grunge too. I think maybe I like a little bit of everything. Lol!

how about this one.....

:lol: Not really. That's not my type of song.

It's actually kind of disgusting now that I think about it. I might enjoy it without the disgusting lyrics.

lots of girls were and are like that.....but hey....Johnny is angry....

He seems to lack respect for women.

Bert Jansch - Nottamun Town

Bob Dylan - Masters of War

This is commonplace. There's only a few chords guys. :)

THAT is. But then....

Even the title...

And then there was....

Yes, I can hear the similarities in these songs to the Led Zeppelin songs. I think that they changed them and made them their own, but they probably still should have given some credit to the original artists because they obviously they used these songs as a springboard.

well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

Zeppelin came out of the Yartdbirds. The British scene of the time, John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, Clapton, Beck, ALL of them, lifted heavily from Blues men. Clapton once remarked that "if music doesn't come from a Negro, I won't play it." The whole scene didn't have a grasp on copyrights. Oh, and most of the Blues wasn't copyrighted back in those days. Further, the Blues men plagiarized each other just as openly as the Brits did.

Forum List

Back