Iron Maiden is not in the Rock and Roll HOF

you said the same thing about Bon Jovi....;)

I was just teasing about Bon Jovi, but not about Led Zeppelin!
well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

People keep saying this. To which Led Zeppelin songs are you referring to?

7 Songs That Led Zeppelin Ripped Off Genres Music Times

Do you really consider that "stealing" other songs? As the author said, he couldn't hear any similarities between most of the songs listed there. Also, it is stated that the lyrics and melodies were changed, so how is that plagiarism?
they lost more than once.....Willie Dixon got a nice hunk of cash i hear.....

Even if Zeppelin did take some allowances with certain songs, it certainly doesn't take away from the fact that they were extremely talented, great showmen, innovative and unique for their time, as well as incredibly influential on many of today's musicians. Not to mention, they are STILL popular even today among a lot of the generations who came after their hay day (like my generation) so give credit where credit is due!!!
i am not taking anything away from them.....from 69 to about 74....they were great.....after that.....

Even if Zeppelin did take some allowances with certain songs, it certainly doesn't take away from the fact that they were extremely talented, great showmen, innovative and unique for their time, as well as incredibly influential on many of today's musicians. Not to mention, they are STILL popular even today among a lot of the generations who came after their hay day (like my generation) so give credit where credit is due!!!
i am not taking anything away from them.....from 69 to about 74....they were great.....after that.....

I think Physical Graffiti is great, and I think that came out after 1974. Lots of good songs on that album.

^^^^

Do people really think the Scorpions are better? :eek-52:
than who?.....Zepplin?.....they were better live......i thought so anyway.....

I like Led Zeppelin's music better. That's what it comes down to me. I like their style better too. I can't stand that 80s style. It was just . . . gay.

these guys are pure HARD Rock......

I've never been much of a Slayer fan. :D There are only a few heavy metal bands that I like, and out of those only a few songs. I really prefer classic rock, and I like grunge too. I think maybe I like a little bit of everything. Lol!

^^^^

I like Led Zeppelin's music better. That's what it comes down to me. I like their style better too. I can't stand that 80s style. It was just . . . gay.

I've never been much of a Slayer fan. :D There are only a few heavy metal bands that I like, and out of those only a few songs. I really prefer classic rock, and I like grunge too. I think maybe I like a little bit of everything. Lol!

how about this one.....

^^^^

how about this one.....

:lol: Not really. That's not my type of song.

It's actually kind of disgusting now that I think about it. I might enjoy it without the disgusting lyrics.

Last edited:

how about this one.....

:lol: Not really. That's not my type of song.

It's actually kind of disgusting now that I think about it. I might enjoy it without the disgusting lyrics.

lots of girls were and are like that.....but hey....Johnny is angry....

Well --- yeah actually it does.

"Give credit where credit is due" is the ultimate irony considering...

well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

People keep saying this. To which Led Zeppelin songs are you referring to?

Most of 'em, sadly.

Not just old blues guys were ripped off ... Bert Jansch, Anne Bredon (via Joan Baez), Jake Holmes, Richie Valens, Moby Grape... we did a thread on this back here. Ironically the tune they were being sued for in the topic of that thread is one of the few that isn't directly ripped off.

The delicious hypocrisy of which is that when a group called Little Roger put out a version of Stairway using the lyrics from the Gilligan's Island theme song, LZ sued the pants off 'em. The Jake Holmes and Moby Grapes and Anne Bredons and Bert Jansches got no such satisfaction. And I believe it was Willie Dixon's publisher/record company that got the legal compensation rather than Willie himself. But at least somebody somewhere got sump'm.

I came across a live album from a blues festival recorded around 1964 which, if you played the tracks in a certain order, gave you half of the first LZ album. Wasn't the whole album since the folkier stuff (Joan Baez and Bert Jansch) weren't on it, but with the exception of the eminently forgettable throwaways "Good Times Bad Times" and "Your Time is Gonna Come", the rest of the LZ material was there, and done five years before LZ existed. And when I say the same songs, I mean word for word lyric and note for note playing.

Last edited:
Bert Jansch - Nottamun Town

Bob Dylan - Masters of War

This is commonplace. There's only a few chords guys. :)

Bert Jansch - Nottamun Town

Bob Dylan - Masters of War

This is commonplace. There's only a few chords guys. :)

THAT is. But then....

Even the title...

And then there was....

Let's not take over this thread -- these and more are explored in the aforementioned thread.

Forum List

Back