Iron Maiden is not in the Rock and Roll HOF

thats kinda debatable....TYA was not metal....but the guy most heavy metal guys from the 80's mention is Tony Iommi from Sabbath....

Lee created the "shredding" style of two handed arpeggio that ALL metal depended on.

Sabbath brought the theatrics and style over substance element that dominated metal. The fact that Motley Crue ever sold a ticket to a show proves that theatrics and antics mattered nearly exclusively.

"The Archies" were more legitimate musicians than Motley Crue.

well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

Zeppelin came out of the Yartdbirds. The British scene of the time, John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, Clapton, Beck, ALL of them, lifted heavily from Blues men. Clapton once remarked that "if music doesn't come from a Negro, I won't play it." The whole scene didn't have a grasp on copyrights. Oh, and most of the Blues wasn't copyrighted back in those days. Further, the Blues men plagiarized each other just as openly as the Brits did.

That thar's called the "folk process" -- commonly shared phrases, verses or storylines. And of course a narrow idiom of musical structure in common -- that's one level.

But taking entire lyrics, arrangements and melodies that a songwriter created on his/her own, that's quite another. Jake Holmes, Bert Jansch, Anne Bredon, Moby Grape, Richie Valens, none of them were exercising that process; they were either writing originals or in Jansch's case an arrangement that was taken literally, note for note, and even two thirds of the title.

Bottom line, once they were called on it, those songwriting credits they awarded themselves started mysteriously showing up in the credits. Bottom line, it was dishonest to claim they wrote all that stuff they knew damn well they didn't.

Oh I got the tracking part. And well I remember that procedure, having spent some 25 years in radio stations.

And you kept those floors mighty polished! :thup:

You don't polish floors in a radio station. And for good reason, one of which being acoustics, but it reminds me of a funny story.

I had a very spontaneous approach to doing a music show; mostly I would lead off with a tune and just listen for the record to tell me where we should go next -- wait for the Muse to speak. This is a high-wire act, as sometimes She doesn't speak right away, and when you're responsible for the flow, music tracks have a way of ending faster than their elapsed times indicate. So one day the Muse gives me a brilliant idea for the next tune and I think I have time to go get it. The library had 75,000 records and it took a little too long to find my quarry -- the record on the air was finishing. :eek: So I come back to the board and as I turn the corner at a right angle I slip on the floor (probably a stray record cover) and go down splat. But I managed to raise my arm from the floor and hit the start button on TT2 for the segue just in time, and nobody in the audience noticed a thing.

Sometimes you take one for the team. If those floors had been waxed instead of carpeted, that might have happened daily.

well unfortunately lots of people have that opinion of Zeppelin.... maybe it has to do with the times they have been caught plagiarizing the old Blues guys....

Zeppelin came out of the Yartdbirds. The British scene of the time, John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, Clapton, Beck, ALL of them, lifted heavily from Blues men. Clapton once remarked that "if music doesn't come from a Negro, I won't play it." The whole scene didn't have a grasp on copyrights. Oh, and most of the Blues wasn't copyrighted back in those days. Further, the Blues men plagiarized each other just as openly as the Brits did.
Page is the only guy that came out of the Yardbirds.....Zepplin is much harder music....and they may have lifted from those guys but they gave them songwriting credit where it was due.....

the Blues men plagiarized each other just as openly as the Brits did.
you will have to show me examples.....Willie Dixon songs were Dixon songs....same with Robert Johnson,Elmore James....there were a few that were disputed because no one was sure who wrote them.....that was just a few.....i googled that and could not find anything.....so its up to you.....and according to the semi-documentary on the Blues on PBS which i saw on one of their pledge drives a few weeks back.....the early Blues record Companies owned many of the songs....Willie Dixon who was well aware of song theft formed his own publishing company in 1957 to protect his copyright interest in his own songs........

thats kinda debatable....TYA was not metal....but the guy most heavy metal guys from the 80's mention is Tony Iommi from Sabbath....

Lee created the "shredding" style of two handed arpeggio that ALL metal depended on.

Sabbath brought the theatrics and style over substance element that dominated metal. The fact that Motley Crue ever sold a ticket to a show proves that theatrics and antics mattered nearly exclusively.

he was just one of the first rock guys to play that style....the guy who invented it was one of Alvins favorites Tal Farlow a jazz guitarist from the 40's-50's....if this is what you are talking about....

Page is the only guy that came out of the Yardbirds.....Zepplin is much harder music....and they may have lifted from those guys but they gave them songwriting credit where it was due.....

the Blues men plagiarized each other just as openly as the Brits did.
you will have to show me examples.....Willie Dixon songs were Dixon songs....same with Robert Johnson,Elmore James....there were a few that were disputed because no one was sure who wrote them.....that was just a few.....i googled that and could not find anything.....so its up to you.....and according to the semi-documentary on the Blues on PBS which i saw on one of their pledge drives a few weeks back.....the early Blues record Companies owned many of the songs....Willie Dixon who was well aware of song theft formed his own publishing company in 1957 to protect his copyright interest in his own songs........

Zeppelin was initially named "The New Yardbirds." Page was reforming the band,

As for plagiarism, be serious;

{
Noted blues author and producer Robert Palmer states "It is the custom, in blues music, for a singer to borrow verses from contemporary sources, both oral and recorded, add his own tune and/or arrangement, and call the song his own".[3] Folklorist Carl Lindahl, refers to these recycling of lyrics in songs as "floating lyrics". He defines it within the folk-music tradition as "lines that have circulated so long in folk communities that tradition-steeped singers call them instantly to mind and rearrange them constantly, and often unconsciously, to suit their personal and community aesthetics".[4] In 2012, when Bob Dylan was questioned over his alleged plagiarism of others music he responded, "It's an old thing – it's part of the tradition. It goes way back".[5] Princeton University professor of American history Sean Wilentz defended Dylan's appropriation of music stating "crediting bits and pieces of another's work is scholarly tradition, not an artistic tradition".[6] In 1998, B.B. King stated on the issue, "I don't think anybody steals anything; all of us borrow."[7]

}

Musical plagiarism - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

It was just part of the genre.

he was just one of the first rock guys to play that style....the guy who invented it was one of Alvins favorites Tal Farlow a jazz guitarist from the 40's-50's....if this is what you are talking about....

Not a surprise.

There are 12 notes - only 12.

All music is derivative.

Excellent. :thup:

Alvin Lee sounding like Farlow on guitar and Mose Allison on vocal -- and not a bad Hammond part by Chic Churchill ...

Well I didn't listen to the songs in their entirety, but they sound pretty good! I really liked the sound of the first song. I wonder why I've never heard of these guys before?

Well, you've heard of Michael Schenker, right? He started with the Scorpions, then had his biggest success with UFO, then started his own band.

I think his brother is still playing guitar with the Scorps.

I never had, no, but I have now. :D

Most blues songs bore the hell out of me. They all are basically the same progressions, with narcissistic soloing going on interminably.

Even worse than listening to it is having to play it. Every time I sit in with a band they want to do a blues song. Fuck that.

I know we are getting off-topic, but this band just started following me on Twitter, and asked for my opinion on their "tunage", as they put it:

Not really my kind of tunage but they sure have energy, I'll give them that.

I posted this one in this thread or another thread (I can't keep all of the music threads straight, LOL), and it is beautiful IMO. :D I think there are a lot of blues songs that are really, really good.

these guys are pure HARD Rock......

No, they were Thrash Metal. Big difference.
they are also listed in hard rock categories ......and just Metal....same with Priest....remember Jethro Tull was the first recipient of the Grammys
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance.....over Metallica....in 89.....

and Jethro Tull not being in the RHOF is the real travesty. They basically put Progressive rock on the map

these guys are pure HARD Rock......

No, they were Thrash Metal. Big difference.
they are also listed in hard rock categories ......and just Metal....same with Priest....remember Jethro Tull was the first recipient of the Grammys
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance.....over Metallica....in 89.....

and Jethro Tull not being in the RHOF is the real travesty. They basically put Progressive rock on the map

You're probably right. While I'm not a big fan (my father was though), I can appreciate their influence on today's music.

New Topics

Forum List

Back