Internet sales tax? yea or nay?

No, it would be provided by taxpayer dollars. Yet another tax. Pass.

link?

So you're saying this software is going to be written, distributed and maintained without any costs to the government? How exactly does that work?

I "get it" You aren't concerned about lost revenue to municipalities & resultant degradation of services & infrastructure. This thread is a discussion about possibilities and solutions. You could at least try to offer an alternative You've made your point abundantly clear. :thup:

Last edited:
the software would prolly be maintained on a centrally located website to be downloaded and updated to reflect any changes the legislature might make in the rates.

And how do you integrate it into all the different point of sale and accounting software systems and programs in use across the country?

It's a fucking stupid idea and it will never work unless crashing computer systems is your goal.

Tell me what on earth is ethical about forcing someone like me who lives in CT to collect, track, file and remit sales tax payments to say the government of CA with no compensation for my time and costs?

So you're saying this software is going to be written, distributed and maintained without any costs to the government? How exactly does that work?

I "get it" you aren't concerned about lost revenue to municipalities. this thread is a discussion about possibilities and solutions. You've made your point abundantly clear. :thup:

I get you didn't answer the question. You said this software would be free. How exactly will that be accomplished? Who is going to write it for free? Who is going to distribute it for free? Who is going to maintain it for free?

And you have no evidence that I have no concern about tax revenue to municipalities. You made that up as an ad hominem attack when you couldn't back up your statement that the software is free.

Want to try again?

the software would prolly be maintained on a centrally located website to be downloaded and updated to reflect any changes the legislature might make in the rates.

And you think that doesn't cost anything? Wow.

And how do you integrate it into all the different point of sale and accounting software systems and programs in use across the country?

It's a fucking stupid idea and it will never work unless crashing computer systems is your goal.

Tell me what on earth is ethical about forcing someone like me who lives in CT to collect, track, file and remit sales tax payments to say the government of CA with no compensation for my time and costs?

where you getting your information? :

Tax-free Internet shopping jeopardized by bill
States must also establish a single entity to receive Internet sales tax revenue, so retailers don't have to send them to individual counties or cities.

*** Remember, this is the CDZ people. Make an acusation and you might want to have a verifiable source to back it up.

So lets say this Internet tax does go through.
Now you have to pay sales tax to a state you do not live in.
Since some cities have a local sales tax would that apply to that too.
Why should someone from a foreign country have to pay a state sales tax?
Lets reverse it, Should you have to pay a sales tax to Germany if you bought something on a German site? Who would handle this the UN?
So I vote No internet sales tax

Incorrect, you wouldn't be paying sales tax to a state you don't live in. The sales tax is remitted to the state you do live in.

This has nothing to do with foreign countries.

>>>>

Some people seem to think the CDZ is like the rest of the forum. WRONG!!! This sub-forum was created for serious discussion and NOT humor, making assertions w/o evidence (see > 1/2 the posts on this thread), meltdowns, etc...

now where were we?

where you getting your information? :

Tax-free Internet shopping jeopardized by bill
States must also establish a single entity to receive Internet sales tax revenue, so retailers don't have to send them to individual counties or cities.

*** Remember, this is the CDZ people. Make an acusation and you might want to have a verifiable source to back it up.

A single entity? That's meaningless. A retailer would still have to track sales tax receipts for all 50 states and remit those taxes.

As I said if a state wants to collect sales taxes from purchases in other states they can set up their own customs stations at their borders. I am in no way responsible for collecting taxes for a state in which I do not reside and I certainly won't do it for free.

The solution to this problem is simple which is why you fucking sheep can't see it.

If the state where an internet retailer resides has sales tax then everyone who buys a product via that retailer pays the state sales tax where the retailer is located.

Done and at no additional cost to anyone and with no need rfor more fucking bureaucracy and red tape.

Lets reverse it, Should you have to pay a sales tax to Germany if you bought something on a German site? Who would handle this the UN?

Incorrect, you wouldn't be paying sales tax to a state you don't live in. The sales tax is remitted to the state you do live in.

>>>>

Then what do we do with people who physically cross the state border to buy something?

For example I buy a lot of stuff in MA but I live in CT so I should not pay the MA state sales tax and instead the retailer in MA should charge me the CT sales tax and then send it to CT?

That is what is being suggested for internet sales so why exclude brick and mortar stores from all the fun?

Some people seem to think the CDZ is like the rest of the forum. WRONG!!! This sub-forum was created for serious discussion and NOT humor, making assertions w/o evidence (see > 1/2 the posts on this thread), meltdowns, etc...

now where were we?

Actually, the CDZ was set up for a respectful conversation, such as no flaming, no neg repping, etc., Dot Com.

>>>>

Then what do we do with people who physically cross the state border to buy something?

For example I buy a lot of stuff in MA but I live in CT so I should not pay the MA state sales tax and instead the retailer in MA should charge me the CT sales tax and then send it to CT?

That is what is being suggested for internet sales so why exclude brick and mortar stores from all the fun?

No it's not what is being suggested. When you travel to MA you are physically present in that state and are purchasing goods or services in MA and pay their 6.25% Sales Tax. When you are a resident of CT, you are physically present in that state and are purchasing goods or services in CT and pay their 6.35% Sales Tax.

However, because of the loophole in internet sales, when you are a resident of CT and make a purchase over the internet and it is delivered to your CT address from a seller that does not have a physical presence in CT - then you pay 0% sales tax.

The two situations are not similar (i.e. a fallacious analogy) since in one case you pay sales tax and in another you pay no sales tax.

MA Tax Rate
CT Tax Rate

>>>>

However, because of the loophole in internet sales, when you are a resident of CT and make a purchase over the internet and it is delivered to your CT address from a seller that does not have a physical presence in CT - then you pay 0% sales tax.

No "loophole" exists. You're breaking the law by not paying that tax. Just because you choose to ignore the law shouldn't mean an undue burden is placed on businesses in other states.

No "loophole" exists. You're breaking the law by not paying that tax. Just because you choose to ignore the law shouldn't mean an undue burden is placed on businesses in other states.

The loophole exists because the collection mechanism requires the individual to remit the tax to the state based on submission of their own purchases instead of at the point of sale as is done with B&M stores.

This legislation allow for states, if they enact certain criteria about providing software and streamlining/simplifying the submission of taxes, to close that loophole and to then collect taxes due on the front end as is normally the case.

The transactions will be computer driven, software calculated, and electronically transferred - there is no more burden placed on the internet sales provider then there is now for B&M stores that have to track transactions, collect sales tax, and remit it to the state.

>>>>

Last edited:

The loophole exists because the collection mechanism requires the individual to remit the tax to the state based on submission of their own purchases instead of at the point of sale as is done with B&M stores.

That's the law. If you don't remit the tax, you're breaking the rules. Just because you choose to engage in criminal activity doesn't mean you get to call ignoring the law a 'loophole'. It's not, it's a crime. But you try telling the IRS you only took advantage of a 'loophole'...see how that works out...

This legislation allow for states, if they enact certain criteria about providing software and streamlining/simplifying the submission of taxes, to close that loophole and to then collect taxes due on the front end as is normally the case.

From businesses in other states. Pass.

The transactions will be computer driven, software calculated, and electronically transferred - there is no more burden placed on the internet sales provider then there is now for B&M stores that have to track transactions, collect sales tax, and remit it to the state.

Incorrect. It's a tremendous burden. Dealing with one state is bad enough, but 50...plus the differences in county and city taxes? It will kill small internet businesses ensuring more too-big-to-fail companies dominate. Wonderful. But frankly, even if it were not a burden, state A has no damn business demanding anything from businesses in state B.

Again, pass.

That's the law. If you don't remit the tax, you're breaking the rules. Just because you choose to engage in criminal activity doesn't mean you get to call ignoring the law a 'loophole'. It's not, it's a crime. But you try telling the IRS you only took advantage of a 'loophole'...see how that works out...

Incorrect. It's a tremendous burden. Dealing with one state is bad enough, but 50...plus the differences in county and city taxes? It will kill small internet businesses ensuring more too-big-to-fail companies dominate. Wonderful. But frankly, even if it were not a burden, state A has no damn business demanding anything from businesses in state B.

Again, pass.

It will be software driven, remember we are talking about internet sales. Every online retailer already uses marketing software that drives the web pages, identifies the items to be ordered, calculates the sum, determines if the shipping address is in the same state and if so calculates the sales tax (if out of state no sales tax). The transaction is passed to the accounting ledger where the transaction is processed for payment (or billing as the case may be).

Amazon already has Tax Collection Services available right now for it's websellers. You will see more of that and some enterprising programers and future internet guru's will implement a "clearinghouse" type of service that integrates with the Marketing/Accounting software packages used by online retailers. Similar to what Vertax already does in the payroll tax area. Every night the sellers computers will dump a file to the clearinghouse, the clearing house will then format the data and report it electronically to the required state and will remit the required tax via EFT. The original seller will would have very little burden except to sign-up and pay for the clearing houses services. Same type of thing that businesses are already doing with accountants, temp agencies, payroll agencies, ISP's, etc.

Remember, truly small businesses aren't going to have to worry about it unless their total sales for the preceding year exceeded a million dollars.

If an on-line retailer can have software that per-calculates the exact shipping charges needed for every address in the United States depending on which shipper is chosen and which method of shipment (1-day air, 2-day air, ground, slow-boat-to-China) is used, then calculating the sales tax applicable to that address will be a piece of cake based on tables that each state will be required to supply and that will be integrated into the look-up values. The same way an address is looked up for calculating the shipping charges, then also the tax rate for that address can be easily determined.

>>>>

Last edited:

Again, pass.

It will be software driven, remember we are talking about internet sales. Every online retailer already uses marketing software that drives the web pages, identifies the items to be ordered, calculates the sum, determines if the shipping address is in the same state and if so calculates the sales tax (if out of state no sales tax). The transaction is passed to the accounting ledger where the transaction is processed for payment (or billing as the case may be).

Amazon already has Tax Collection Services available right now for it's websellers. You will see more of that and someone enterprising programers will implement a "clearinghouse" type of service that integrates with the Marketing/Accounting software packages used by online retailers. Every night the sellers computers will dump a file to the clearinghouse, the clearing house will then format the date and report it electronically to the required state and will remit the required tax via EFT. The original seller will would have very little burden except to sign-up and pay for the clearing houses services. Same type of thing that businesses are already doing with accountants, temp agencies, payroll agencies, ISP's, etc.

Remember, truly small businesses aren't going to have to worry about it unless their total sales for the preceding year exceeded a million dollars.

>>>>

Thereby ensuring no one competes with Amazon. My goodness, you guys that always seem to hate giant corporations sure do advocate for laws that protect the big guys from competition.

Again, pass.

Forum List

Back