Interesting article: How the Saudi-Iran rivalry wrecked the Middle East

Augustine_

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2019
Nunya
The Muslim World’s Question: ‘What Happened to Us?’

There are many turning points in the region’s modern history that could explain how we ended up in these depths of despair—from the end of the Ottoman Empire to the American invasion of Iraq in 2003. None, on its own, paints a complete picture. Instead, I look to 1979, when three major events took place: the Iranian Revolution, which culminated in the return of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to Tehran in February; the siege of the Holy Mosque in Mecca by Saudi zealots in November; and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on Christmas Eve, the first battleground for jihad in modern times and an effort supported by the United States. These acts occurred almost independently of one another, but the combination of all three was toxic, and nothing was ever the same again. From this noxious brew was born the Saudi-Iran rivalry.

Just a very interesting article I think people would be interested to read.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW

There are many turning points in the region’s modern history that could explain how we ended up in these depths of despair—from the end of the Ottoman Empire to the American invasion of Iraq in 2003. None, on its own, paints a complete picture. Instead, I look to 1979, when three major events took place: the Iranian Revolution, which culminated in the return of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to Tehran in February; the siege of the Holy Mosque in Mecca by Saudi zealots in November; and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on Christmas Eve, the first battleground for jihad in modern times and an effort supported by the United States. These acts occurred almost independently of one another, but the combination of all three was toxic, and nothing was ever the same again. From this noxious brew was born the Saudi-Iran rivalry.

The key IMHO to resolve this is for the Iranian Mullahs to be overthrown and their heads displayed on pikes in Teheran.

The Iranian people are a modern, westernized people. I know Iranians. They love to play cards, drink, have a good time with beautiful broads. Just regular fellows.

Not the goof balls that you see ruling over there now, that's for sure.

Once Radical Islam in Iran is destroyed, they will get along fine with the Saudis who are regular mensches themselves.

I read that article. Very informative. The last forty years has been hell on the Middle East. It will be generations before they can sort out the mess, if ever.

I read that article. Very informative. The last forty years has been hell on the Middle East. It will be generations before they can sort out the mess, if ever.

Actually, there is a lot of positivity going on in the Middle East, not all negative at all.

The Tremendous State of Israel is thriving, Dubai has built a fantastic modern city in the Persian Gulf, the Godfather of Evil, Saddam Hussein met his end, he is said to have crapped himself as he received justice, and Saudi Arabia is slowly entering the modern world under the leadership of Crown Prince Moe Salman.

Right, because before 1979 the Middle East was a peaceful oasis functioning in complete harmony in which all people were respected and everybody prospered.

The Middle East has been fighting with the world and each other for at least 1500 years. The Arab invasion of North Africa started the festivities back in the 7th century. The root of the problem is a warrior religion that demands compliance with the ultimate goal of a fully Islamic world.

Forum List

Back