Independents Now Largest Voter Group in United States

MinTrut

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2021
Great piece from last year on the rise of independent voters:

Disillusioned With Dems and GOP, Independents Now Largest Voter Group in the US

“Independents began to see that the control of the electoral process by the two parties was fused with the larger economic and social circumstances in the country,” said Jacqueline Salit, president of IndependentVoting.org.

“They began to feel that this was a country being run by a set of insiders, that the insiders had control over the political apparatus, and that unless and until we could change and transform the political apparatus, we weren’t going to be able to address issues of economic instability.”

I’m endlessly disappointed by both parties, from the untouchable .1% who answer only to the rich, down to the rank and file who keep them in power, so completely identify with the disillusion expressed in the article, and have been an independent for years.

“There is a consensus that people are tired of polarization and tired of the sort of politics where you’re always voting against something and never for something.”

The endless angry bickering on this site - and on every political site I’ve ever observed - exemplifies the self-defeating behavior independents seek to leave behind.

Can the bitterness, hysteria, ignorance, bigotry, greed and dysfunction endlessly exhibited by both major parties ever be disrupted by independent voters, or are we all trapped in an endless cycle of lesser evil voting?

An independent candidate quoted in the article says:

“Life is going to be difficult for the next generation. We’re not addressing climate change. We’re not addressing inequality in any meaningful way. Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin and neither one of them is paying the bills."

"They have created a system that blockades anyone who doesn’t fall on one side or the other. And the best thing that I can do for my kid is do whatever I can to change that outcome.”

“Independents began to see that the control of the electoral process by the two parties was fused with the larger economic and social circumstances in the country,” said Jacqueline Salit, president of IndependentVoting.org.

“They began to feel that this was a country being run by a set of insiders, that the insiders had control over the political apparatus, and that unless and until we could change and transform the political apparatus, we weren’t going to be able to address issues of economic instability.”

I’m endlessly disappointed by both parties, from the untouchable .1% who answer only to the rich, down to the rank and file who keep them in power, so completely identify with the disillusion expressed in the article, and have been an independent for years.

“There is a consensus that people are tired of polarization and tired of the sort of politics where you’re always voting against something and never for something.”

The endless angry bickering on this site - and on every political site I’ve ever observed - exemplifies the self-defeating behavior independents seek to leave behind.

Can the bitterness, hysteria, ignorance, bigotry, greed and dysfunction endlessly exhibited by both major parties ever be disrupted by independent voters, or are we all trapped in an endless cycle of lesser evil voting?

“Life is going to be difficult for the next generation. We’re not addressing climate change. We’re not addressing inequality in any meaningful way. Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin and neither one of them is paying the bills."

"They have created a system that blockades anyone who doesn’t fall on one side or the other. And the best thing that I can do for my kid is do whatever I can to change that outcome.”
Sounds like lib front group....same exact whines

Yep. Sick of it. I've had to vote for a party I very much don't like in the last two elections, and I was ALREADY pissed off.

I still don't think that we can regain control from the nutter bases on the ends unless and until we fix this fucked up electoral system.

Last edited:

Not surprising. The Republicans and Democratic Parties, both suck nationally and at major city level, as more interested in party than country. There is even a large swath of the Trumper party that would support tearing down the whole country, starting with the FBI, DOJ, public education, not to mention representative voting that has to count and the electoral college, even supporting a former president that wants those things for personal benefit. Both parties totally suck and are not worth supporting. That is why there is the rise in number of independents, no longer willing to give any allegiance or be counted on by either of the two parties. The silent majority will call the ball, more and more.

Think it’s been that way for a while.

I think elected officials who commit crimes in office should have double punishments ... starting with Donald J. Trump mishandling of classified documents ...

Those cover sheets said "Top Secret/SCI" ... in a bathroom ... I'd spend the rest of my life in military prison if I did that ... it's fair Trump should go as well ... are there others, sure, lock them up as well ... just being an elected official doesn't put you above the law ... buck-o ... or just line up the 11-year-old girls in front of Congress' No-Tell-Motel ...

What difference.jpg

Think it’s been that way for a while.
No shit.....Independents are a huge force in local elections.

The joke in my deep red AO is to just drive by the local gop HQ to find out who not to vote for in local elections.

In local elections I only vote for slow-growth Independents.....Dems don't bother running.

Not surprising. The Republicans and Democratic Parties, both suck nationally and at major city level, as more interested in party than country. There is even a large swath of the Trumper party that would support tearing down the whole country, starting with the FBI, DOJ, public education, not to mention representative voting that has to count and the electoral college, even supporting a former president that wants those things for personal benefit. Both parties totally suck and are not worth supporting. That is why there is the rise in number of independents, no longer willing to give any allegiance or be counted on by either of the two parties. The silent majority will call the ball, more and more.
The silent majority, if it even exists, is silent by definition. They and you aren't making any suggestions that can bring change.

Failure of America's government to deal with the attempted coup is the biggest outstanding threat that needs to be settled before anything good can take place. The perverted justice system can't do it.

Your personal FEELZ / emotions aside….tell us which of Trumps POLICIES were bad for America and Americans?

(watch this folks)
This is a question that always throws the TDS’ing orange man bad folks for a major loop….one would think this would be a simple question to answer, one they could easily quantify.

Mac1958

The silent majority, if it even exists, is silent by definition. They and you aren't making any suggestions that can bring change.

Failure of America's government to deal with the attempted coup is the biggest outstanding threat that needs to be settled before anything good can take place. The perverted justice system can't do it.
They vote, though and have a leveling effect at national level. At local level, independence is much more important, and in many cases and many places, party is downplayed, and not that big a factor, where locally they go for the best man for the job, not some tool of a party.

In local elections I only vote for slow-growth Independents.....Dems don't bother running.
Then your independents you voted for become part of the corrupted system.

Something bigger than that needs to take place. A political assassination?

hahaha…
yeah, yeah…that “coup” is ruining America….not millions of invading wetbacks, not black criminality….That coup has people afraid to walk the streets at night.

Your personal FEELZ / emotions aside….tell us which of Trumps POLICIES were bad for America and Americans?

(watch this folks)
This is a question that always throws the TDS’ing orange man bad folks for a major loop….one would think this would be a simple question to answer, one they could easily quantify.

Mac1958
Go look as earlier posts. I have answered that several times. Somebody even did a thread on that specific question, not of me personally, but I had no problem. Look it up or blow it off, makes no difference to me.

Yep. Sick of it. I've had to vote for a party I very much don't like in the last two elections, and I was ALREADY pissed off.

I still don't think that we can regain control from the nutter bases on the ends unless and until we fix this fucked up electoral system.
You're a member of the nutter base on the left end, moron.

If you're voting on whether to loot the taxpayers to pay the bills of people who don't pay taxes, then you're automatically going to have polarition. The people paying taxes are always going to be opposed to people who suck off taxes.

Forum List

Back