Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

Scapegoats

They were ordered to get the guy off the plane. If management wanted someone to sweetalk the guy out of his seat, they would have had a flight attendant do it

Scapegoat, I can't see it. The police officer wasn't under the command of United Airline. The airline was offering too little dough to entice people to change their flight plans doesn't make it the role of police to forcibly remove passengers.
I agree
$400 for a one day delay is bullshit

Security did not make a decision to get the guy off the plane......it was management
Once you call in security, talking is over and force is expected
It was a management decision to get the flight in the air ASAP

Most airlines are run by arrogant scum; that's why they require such heavy subsidies and breaks like most big corporations. There is no policy of customer service at most companies these days. And, it's almost impossible for little people to collect judgements from them these days, too, even if you win every appeal.

Really? How much do airlines get in subsidies?

Hint: They don't!

If that doctor had to be somewhere important enough, a lawsuit from him could be the least of the airline's worries. Whoever needed him badly enough could sue as well.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

They all overbook for a reason. They have a running percentage on no-shows. Sometimes they get caught.
With Computers these days, how hard is it to REALLY keep track of the fact that you have 150 seats on an airplane to fill and count down the number remaining as you sell the seats? It's MATH...and computer applications can even do THAT for you there days...

United Airlines, however, over-sold, over-booked their flight. When they figured that out at the gate (because evidently they could not figure out they had done so before that), they offered passengers $400 if they would take the next flight in an attempt to 'un-F*' the situation.

After quite a few people took them up on their offer, United allowed people to board the plane. Once on the plane United discovered there were still 4 passengers too many onboard the plane. At that point United asked 4 people to give up their seats, picking 4 people at random - one of them was 'THIS' guy:

United ASKED a man who had bought a ticket in advance and was told he was on this flight to give up his seat. He said, 'NO'. At that point United offered him $800 to give up his seat. He said, 'No'.

Even though the man told United that he was a doctor and had to be at his destination the next morning, United told the gentleman that he had NO CHOICE but to give up his seat:

"The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane."

Because United was too incompetent to count the number of seats on a plane versus how many they sold (or just being greedy and making it a policy to do so to ensure all seats are sold), United Airlines physically dragged a doctor off a plane.

I smell a major lawsuit! GOOD!

I have faced a similar situation with them, was forced to take the next flight....which was in the morning (though I did not make them drag my arse off the plane).

Over-booking is either incompetence or bad policy...or both. Physically dragging someone off the plane is also NOT an option. I don't care if United had to offer someone $2,000 or more before someone finally took their offer and gave up their seat voluntarily - it was their screw up. They should have had to keep raising the amount of the money until someone volunteered.

I have a feeling the doctor's lawyers are going to make United pay way more than $800.

Video: Security drags screaming United Airlines passenger off overbooked flight — literally - Hot Air

So you physically remove a passenger because you choose to overbook?

Read what your ticket says on that topic. It might change your mind.

Scapegoats

They were ordered to get the guy off the plane. If management wanted someone to sweetalk the guy out of his seat, they would have had a flight attendant do it

Scapegoat, I can't see it. The police officer wasn't under the command of United Airline. The airline was offering too little dough to entice people to change their flight plans doesn't make it the role of police to forcibly remove passengers.
I agree

Security did not make a decision to get the guy off the plane......it was management

Glad you support the corporations.

PR disaster, but legally passenger can be bumped.
PR will cost them because of the way they did it.

Is $400 even enough to find a hotel room for the night? That compensation sounds outrageously low to me.

airline covers that, and food vouchers of limited amount

If they just over book, and did not board, or flight delay...............stuck at airport

Scapegoats

I agree

Glad you support the corporations.
Have you always struggled with reading comprehension?

In most cases when someone is physically removed from a flight it is because the passenger is acting like a moron and everyone cheers when he or she is led off the plane

This guy had a legitimate reason why he needed to be on the flight. To go goon squad on him while he is arguing for his seat is inexcusable

So.... he and the MSM state this "DR" had legitimate reason to force trip to Louisville. We know how reliable the MSM is. Makes for better story. Nut don't act like any DR? Acts like a two year old.

The contract "fine print" states you have no right to fly. They can pull you off anytime.....or so I have been told.

In addition, I hear this kook broke free and ran back onto plane once and refused to get off? Not worth my time to verify. I'm not interested. I'd say lock him up for delaying others.

Last edited:
So United really doesn't sell tickets - it sells chances on tickets.

airlines are legally allowed to over book flights. Most people confirm the day of departure.

Once on the airplane you are obligated to do what the crew says. Pilot like captain of ship, they are the law till disembark.

Why the man caused such a scene over a layover is nuts. If the plane does not take off, everyone could be sitting on the plane over night. The passenger would end up throwing the man off.

The fight and dragging down the aisle was bad form, totally

Scapegoats

I don't know about "scapegoats."

Naturally the cop who was suspended will say he was just following orders, which is the classic Nuremberg Defense. The immediate question then will be, who ordered you to do specifically what you did? And if the same person ordered you to shoot that man, or crush his skull with a hammer, would you have done it? And if so do you believe you would be innocent of felonious assault or murder?

I believe what we've seen in this video is the result of the militarization of our civilian police. Some of these guys, such as the brutal goon in this example, have come to believe the Criminal Law does not apply to them -- that if someone dares to disobey their orders they have a right to use any level of force regardless of any circumstances.

The outcome of this event will contribute to an important legal precedent. Because except for the few extreme authoritarian personalities, and other cops, no one will approve of the way this incident was handled.

Is $400 even enough to find a hotel room for the night? That compensation sounds outrageously low to me.

If the man lost money from his work or business they should pay for that along with a penalty bonus on top, say 3 times what he lost as compensation and for the asshole way they handled it, and do so within 30 days.

Last edited:
Apparently there are still cave dwellers who haven't read a book or even a newspaper since 1901, and think the aviation industry isn't subsidized.

http://www.laane.org/downloads/ShortchangedStudy.pdf

US Airlines Have Received More Subsidies than Middle East Ones - View from the Wing

WikiLeaks Disclosure Shows U.S. Airlines Received Billions in Subsidies

https://www.buses.org/assets/images/uploads/general/Report - Modal Subsidies - ABA.pdf

Federal Transportation Subsidies | The Antiplanner

Fortunately, the full report also calculates subsidies per passenger mile. From 2002-2009, the report says, federal subsidies per passenger mile to air travel averaged 0.8 cents;

And, most of these studies only cover the Fed's subsidies; local and state governments provide even more tax dollars for major airports and their operations, reroute and expand roads and highways, power and utilities right-of-ways, police and fire, schools training their techs and other employees for them, etc., etc., etc. And then there are the hand slaps they get in bankruptcy courts, a routine practice for airlines, while their executives just as routinely get huge golden parachutes, naturally.

Last edited:

If the man lost money from his work or business they should pay for that along with a penalty bonus on top, say 3 times what he lost as compensation and for the asshole way they handled it.

Should read the fine print. They will say the doctor should have allotted his time for delays, flight change, or cancellation. They are not responsible in most cases. Doctors have other doctors on call to take patients when they are off duty or out of town.

The doctor could have gotten a bus or rented a car and bill it to the airline. Maybe the crew could have ask if someone would give up their seat for the doctor and his "necessity" to get back.

doctor could have saved everyone aggravation to just obey the crew, one way or the other he was getting off the plane.

crew and police could have handled it better, but legally they had the right to remove him.

Sorry mess all around.

The lawyers are flocking.

No they're not. When you buy a ticket you agree to the terms and conditions, and that is that the airline can remove you from any flight at any time for any reason. Do I think its right? No. Legal, yes, unfortunately. The guy got a bloody mouth because he fought and didn't get up when asked.

It's the same as renting a car and the car rental company going get you as you get into the car and taking you out and saying someone else gets that car. They can offer you another car or a larger one, but you don't OWN the car just like you don't OWN the seat in the plane so it's not yours. You are borrowing it.

Fuck United and their overbooking bullshit. If they overbook for whatever reason that's their problem, not the paying customer. They can't force anyone off a flight and they need to compensate people what they ask. I hope this doctor sues the shit out of United and wins big.

Forum List

Back