Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

With Computers these days, how hard is it to REALLY keep track of the fact that you have 150 seats on an airplane to fill and count down the number remaining as you sell the seats? It's MATH...and computer applications can even do THAT for you there days...

United Airlines, however, over-sold, over-booked their flight. When they figured that out at the gate (because evidently they could not figure out they had done so before that), they offered passengers $400 if they would take the next flight in an attempt to 'un-F*' the situation.

After quite a few people took them up on their offer, United allowed people to board the plane. Once on the plane United discovered there were still 4 passengers too many onboard the plane. At that point United asked 4 people to give up their seats, picking 4 people at random - one of them was 'THIS' guy:

United ASKED a man who had bought a ticket in advance and was told he was on this flight to give up his seat. He said, 'NO'. At that point United offered him $800 to give up his seat. He said, 'No'.

Even though the man told United that he was a doctor and had to be at his destination the next morning, United told the gentleman that he had NO CHOICE but to give up his seat:

"The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane."

Because United was too incompetent to count the number of seats on a plane versus how many they sold (or just being greedy and making it a policy to do so to ensure all seats are sold), United Airlines physically dragged a doctor off a plane.

I smell a major lawsuit! GOOD!

I have faced a similar situation with them, was forced to take the next flight....which was in the morning (though I did not make them drag my arse off the plane).

Over-booking is either incompetence or bad policy...or both. Physically dragging someone off the plane is also NOT an option. I don't care if United had to offer someone $2,000 or more before someone finally took their offer and gave up their seat voluntarily - it was their screw up. They should have had to keep raising the amount of the money until someone volunteered.

I have a feeling the doctor's lawyers are going to make United pay way more than $800.

Video: Security drags screaming United Airlines passenger off overbooked flight — literally - Hot Air
Last time I flew on UA, a red eye express I sat next to a woman with her pet dog the next seat over. Thing was, of all the bloody seats on the plane there was 12 people on the damned plane . This was a 737 JET with a zillion other empty seats. I excused myself and promptly moved to 1st class. Nobody noticed. Next time, I will take the train.

The lawyers are flocking.

No they're not. When you buy a ticket you agree to the terms and conditions, and that is that the airline can remove you from any flight at any time for any reason. Do I think its right? No. Legal, yes, unfortunately. The guy got a bloody mouth because he fought and didn't get up when asked.

It's the same as renting a car and the car rental company going get you as you get into the car and taking you out and saying someone else gets that car. They can offer you another car or a larger one, but you don't OWN the car just like you don't OWN the seat in the plane so it's not yours. You are borrowing it.

They offered him $800. He'll end up with 1000X that.

Is $400 even enough to find a hotel room for the night? That compensation sounds outrageously low to me.

If the man lost money from his work or business they should pay for that along with a penalty bonus on top, say 3 times what he lost as compensation and for the asshole way they handled it.

Should read the fine print. They will say the doctor should have allotted his time for delays, flight change, or cancellation. They are not responsible in most cases. Doctors have other doctors on call to take patients when they are off duty or out of town.

The doctor could have gotten a bus or rented a car and bill it to the airline. Maybe the crew could have ask if someone would give up their seat for the doctor and his "necessity" to get back.

doctor could have saved everyone aggravation to just obey the crew, one way or the other he was getting off the plane.

crew and police could have handled it better, but legally they had the right to remove him.

Sorry mess all around.

The airline could have just given the man what he paid for, period. The 'fine print' is just a way to justify fraud and crappy service and lousy attitudes.

The lawyers are flocking.

No they're not. When you buy a ticket you agree to the terms and conditions, and that is that the airline can remove you from any flight at any time for any reason. Do I think its right? No. Legal, yes, unfortunately. The guy got a bloody mouth because he fought and didn't get up when asked.

It's the same as renting a car and the car rental company going get you as you get into the car and taking you out and saying someone else gets that car. They can offer you another car or a larger one, but you don't OWN the car just like you don't OWN the seat in the plane so it's not yours. You are borrowing it.

They offered him $800. He'll end up with 1000X that.

The man was a physician on his way to consult with patients in another city. This was an easily verifiable story. The doctor should not have been treated in this fashion.

But this is what happens when there is no protection for consumers. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Welp if it's legal than so be it. This is where us consumers stand up and say fuck off with your fine print United. #BoycotUnited

Then why has the primary goon been suspended? The answer is demonstrably bad judgment. of the kind which can sway a jury.

If this fellow isn't offered a satisfactory settlement for the abuse he suffered at the hands of the airline's goons, and a good trial lawyer presents his case to a jury, you may rest assured a substantial punitive award will be coming his way. Because the level of force involved was clearly excessive and unnecessary -- regardless of the rules which are printed on the flight tickets.

This man is not a criminal who was resisting arrest after committing some felony. It is a situation in which the majority of passengers on that plane, as well as the vast majority of decent, ordinary people who watch this video will identify with him -- not with the airline and certainly not the goon who performed like a Mafia enforcer.

Last edited:
So United really doesn't sell tickets - it sells chances on tickets.

airlines are legally allowed to over book flights. Most people confirm the day of departure.

Once on the airplane you are obligated to do what the crew says. Pilot like captain of ship, they are the law till disembark.

Why the man caused such a scene over a layover is nuts. If the plane does not take off, everyone could be sitting on the plane over night. The passenger would end up throwing the man off.

The fight and dragging down the aisle was bad form, totally

Common sense says once an airline is overbooked you deny boarding to those who arrive late. In this case, their own employees arrived after a full flight had been boarded and they had to physically remove a "volunteer"

Piss poor PR on their part

Is $400 even enough to find a hotel room for the night? That compensation sounds outrageously low to me.

If the man lost money from his work or business they should pay for that along with a penalty bonus on top, say 3 times what he lost as compensation and for the asshole way they handled it, and do so within 30 days.

The airline offered $400 and then $800 for volunteers. This is for volunteering for a flight that leaves 3PM the NEXT DAY

They are not even offering cash, they are offering a "cash voucher" good for another United flight within one year

Hardly worth disrupting your schedule by one day. No wonder they didn't find people rushing to "volunteer"

Text of letter from United CEO defending employees

Dear Team,

Like you, I was upset to see and hear about what happened last night aboard United Express Flight 3411 headed from Chicago to Louisville. While the facts and circumstances are still evolving, especially with respect to why this customer defied Chicago Aviation Security Officers the way he did, to give you a clearer picture of what transpired, I've included below a recap from the preliminary reports filed by our employees.

As you will read, this situation was unfortunately compounded when one of the passengers we politely asked to deplane refused and it became necessary to contact Chicago Aviation Security Officers to help. Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this. While I deeply regret this situation arose, I also emphatically stand behind all of you, and I want to commend you for continuing to go above and beyond to ensure we fly right.

I do, however, believe there are lessons we can learn from this experience, and we are taking a close look at the circumstances surrounding this incident. Treating our customers and each other with respect and dignity is at the core of who we are, and we must always remember this no matter how challenging the situation.

Oscar

especially with respect to why this customer defied Chicago Aviation Security Officers the way he did,

Note to Oscar
On a Sunday night when you ask for volunteers AFTER a flight has boarded and inform them that the next available flight is 3PM on Monday........Do not expect flyers to jump at the chance for an $800 voucher
United tried to get by their own mistake on the cheap and now must face a public relations nightmare

Last edited:
Summary of Flight 3411

. On Sunday, April 9, after United Express Flight 3411 was fully boarded, United's gate agents were approached by crewmembers that were told they needed to board the flight.

. We sought volunteers and then followed our involuntary denial of boarding process (including offering up to $1,000 in compensation) and when we approached one of these passengers to explain apologetically that he was being denied boarding, he raised his voice and refused to comply with crew member instructions.

. He was approached a few more times after that in order to gain his compliance to come off the aircraft, and each time he refused and became more and more disruptive and belligerent.

. Our agents were left with no choice but to call Chicago Aviation Security Officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight. He repeatedly declined to leave.

. Chicago Aviation Security Officers were unable to gain his cooperation and physically removed him from the flight as he continued to resist - running back onto the aircraft in defiance of both our crew and security officials.

The Pilot said common sense did not reign in this case - he stated one of the flight crew could have taken the 'Jump Seat' in the Cockpit, and the doctor could have stayed on, taking the flight attendant's seat.

Again, however, had the airline offered $1k - $2k, a hotel voucher, and a couple meal vouchers to anyone who would leave the plane they would have found someone to do so.

They were unwilling to offer anything more, wanted their way, and physically dragged a passenger off the plane. As mentioned by many above, United will now be paying a LOT more than $800.

What the airline did was reprehensible but the real story was the actions of the police. We do not live in a country where you can call the police on someone and brutalize them for the convenience of the caller. When the police arrived they should have assessed the situation and realized there was no threat from the passenger. He was breaking no laws and had paid for his ticket. When the police become jackbooted thugs we are in deep trouble as a civilized nation. Passenger security should be a top priority but the airlines are too inept to actually provide that. Instead they attack law abiding citizens while lying to police claiming to protect the public. A national boycott of that airline is in order. Hopefully that happens and they go out of business.

. Our agents were left with no choice but to call Chicago Aviation Security Officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight. He repeatedly declined to leave.

Bullshit.

The pilot already stated that one of the flight attendants could have sat in the Jump Seat in the cockpit, allowing the doctor to remain on the jet.

United could have offered much more for ANYONE to leave the plane - they did NOT have to stick with this 1 doctor.
-- As I stated, offer between $1,000 and $2,000, paid hotel stay (Hotel Voucher), and food vouchers...maybe a couple free flights as well...and someone would have taken them up on the offer.

REPERCUSSIONS:

United did not want to pay more than the $800 they offered...and now they will pay the doctor a LOT more. I would be amazed if he does not sue.
-- Remember the patients he told United he had to see the next day? There is the potential now for those patients to sue United if the doctor did not make it home in time to see them. (Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!)

United will also suffer financial losses from the boycotts that are coming.

Their actions and the video footage of a passenger being physically dragged off of a plane because they (United) screwed up/over-booked has caused Congress to demand hearings - Congrats, United! You have potential government intervention as a result of your dumb decisions / actions.

I have Exclusive Video of United Airline Passengers trying to board their flight...
c65ab4257d659d2f150d4636929bdd57.gif

What the airline did was reprehensible but the real story was the actions of the police. We do not live in a country where you can call the police on someone and brutalize them for the convenience of the caller. When the police arrived they should have assessed the situation and realized there was no threat from the passenger. He was breaking no laws and had paid for his ticket. When the police become jackbooted thugs we are in deep trouble as a civilized nation. Passenger security should be a top priority but the airlines are too inept to actually provide that. Instead they attack law abiding citizens while lying to police claiming to protect the public. A national boycott of that airline is in order. Hopefully that happens and they go out of business.
When you call in jackbooted thugs you should not be surprised when they act like jackbooted thugs

Police have limited tools in their toolbox. They ask you nice, then they threaten you, then they use force. That is all they know.
They did not have authority to offer more compensation to passengers especially when possession of a seat on the last flight out of town is 9/10 of the law

So they annoyed the crap out of the guy over and over and over, in what sounds like a deliberately provocative way, and then sicced cops on him. Yeah, Mr. CEO, that really gets you off the hook, What a pompous turd.

Bullshit.

The pilot already stated that one of the flight attendants could have sat in the Jump Seat in the cockpit, allowing the doctor to remain on the jet.

United could have offered much more for ANYONE to leave the plane - they did NOT have to stick with this 1 doctor.
-- As I stated, offer between $1,000 and $2,000, paid hotel stay (Hotel Voucher), and food vouchers...maybe a couple free flights as well...and someone would have taken them up on the offer.

REPERCUSSIONS:

United did not want to pay more than the $800 they offered...and now they will pay the doctor a LOT more. I would be amazed if he does not sue.
-- Remember the patients he told United he had to see the next day? There is the potential now for those patients to sue United if the doctor did not make it home in time to see them. (Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!)

Their actions and the video footage of a passenger being physically dragged off of a plane because they (United) screwed up/over-booked has caused Congress to demand hearings - Congrats, United! You have potential government intervention as a result of your dumb decisions / actions.

I have been on many flights when they offered $400- $800 vouchers to take the next flight and passengers could not volunteer fast enough. But they usually offered a flight within 2-3 hours...a small inconvenience

But people book Sunday flights for a reason. They need to be back at work on Monday. To tell passengers the next available flight is 3PM on Monday is a major inconvenience. Overnight stay, having to hang around most of Monday, missing a day of work.
Offering an $800 voucher good on a future United flight is hardly adequate compensation. That is why nobody jumped at it

If getting their crew to Louisville was so important, they should have opened their pocketbooks and offered cash. But they knew, by law, that they could force anyone off the plane....so they decided to get by on the cheap. Even at great inconvenience to their passengers

Bullshit.

REPERCUSSIONS:

I have been on many flights when they offered $400- $800 vouchers to take the next flight and passengers could not volunteer fast enough. But they usually offered a flight within 2-3 hours...a small inconvenience

But people book Sunday flights for a reason. They need to be back at work on Monday. To tell passengers the next available flight is 3PM on Monday is a major inconvenience. Overnight stay, having to hang around most of Monday, missing a day of work.
Offering an $800 voucher good on a future United flight is hardly adequate compensation. That is why nobody jumped at it

If getting their crew to Louisville was so important, they should have opened their pocketbooks and offered cash. But they knew, by law, that they could force anyone off the plane....so they decided to get by on the cheap. Even at great inconvenience to their passengers

Don't they have to pay cash if they deny a person boarding unilaterally?

I though vouchers are only for the volunteers.

Don't they have to pay cash if they deny a person boarding unilaterally? I though vouchers are only for the volunteers.
'Deny Boarding'.....but these passengers - this doctor - had already been allowed to board. This was an extra 'FUBAR' mistake.

Can these United employees not COUNT?! I have been on flights where United allowed a certain number to board, counted the remaining seats, assessed the passenger list, made the call that the flight was over-booked, handled the issue at the gate, but they NEVER allowed anyone on who did not have a seat, specifically so as not to 'tease' the passenger by letting them on the flight only to be asked to leave.

United's Owner is defending his people, but let's face it - they screwed up...a LOT...on this one.

Don't they have to pay cash if they deny a person boarding unilaterally? I though vouchers are only for the volunteers.
'Deny Boarding'.....but these passengers - this doctor - had already been allowed to board. This was an extra 'FUBAR' mistake.

Can these United employees not COUNT?! I have been on flights where United allowed a certain number to board, counted the remaining seats, assessed the passenger list, made the call that the flight was over-booked, handled the issue at the gate, but they NEVER allowed anyone on who did not have a seat, specifically so as not to 'tease' the passenger by letting them on the flight only to be asked to leave.

United's Owner is defending his people, but let's face it - they screwed up...a LOT...on this one.

Agree....major screw up

I have never seen them force someone off a plane after they have boarded. It is always handled at the boarding area or even at check-in. I agree...Can't they count?
If they needed four seats for their own personnel, those seats should have been set aside.
But for four employees to just show up at the gate AFTER the plane has boarded and expect to be seated is unexplainable.

Forum List

Back