Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
With Computers these days, how hard is it to REALLY keep track of the fact that you have 150 seats on an airplane to fill and count down the number remaining as you sell the seats? It's MATH...and computer applications can even do THAT for you there days...

United Airlines, however, over-sold, over-booked their flight. When they figured that out at the gate (because evidently they could not figure out they had done so before that), they offered passengers $400 if they would take the next flight in an attempt to 'un-F*' the situation.

After quite a few people took them up on their offer, United allowed people to board the plane. Once on the plane United discovered there were still 4 passengers too many onboard the plane. At that point United asked 4 people to give up their seats, picking 4 people at random - one of them was 'THIS' guy:

United ASKED a man who had bought a ticket in advance and was told he was on this flight to give up his seat. He said, 'NO'. At that point United offered him $800 to give up his seat. He said, 'No'.

Even though the man told United that he was a doctor and had to be at his destination the next morning, United told the gentleman that he had NO CHOICE but to give up his seat:

"The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane."

Because United was too incompetent to count the number of seats on a plane versus how many they sold (or just being greedy and making it a policy to do so to ensure all seats are sold), United Airlines physically dragged a doctor off a plane.

I smell a major lawsuit! GOOD!

I have faced a similar situation with them, was forced to take the next flight....which was in the morning (though I did not make them drag my arse off the plane).

Over-booking is either incompetence or bad policy...or both. Physically dragging someone off the plane is also NOT an option. I don't care if United had to offer someone $2,000 or more before someone finally took their offer and gave up their seat voluntarily - it was their screw up. They should have had to keep raising the amount of the money until someone volunteered.

I have a feeling the doctor's lawyers are going to make United pay way more than $800.

Video: Security drags screaming United Airlines passenger off overbooked flight — literally - Hot Air

>>
“We followed the right procedures,” Hobart told the Associated Press in a phone interview. “That plane had to depart. We wanted to get our customers to their destinations, and when one gentleman refused to get off the aircraft, we had to call the Chicago Police Department.”

Bridges said passengers were told a computer selected four people to leave the flight. One couple was selected and left the plane before the man was confronted.<<

The only thing I'll add to opinion expressed in the OP is my outrage at the security company. They're suppose to be there to keep the peace, not act as goons for the airlines. I expect they'll be a major part of the lawsuit as well.

Last edited:
Most airlines are run by arrogant scum; that's why they require such heavy subsidies and breaks like most big corporations. There is no policy of customer service at most companies these days. And, it's almost impossible for little people to collect judgements from them these days, too, even if you win every appeal.

I would be part of a class action suit as a passenger of that flight as well.

They all overbook for a reason. They have a running percentage on no-shows. Sometimes they get caught.
With Computers these days, how hard is it to REALLY keep track of the fact that you have 150 seats on an airplane to fill and count down the number remaining as you sell the seats? It's MATH...and computer applications can even do THAT for you there days...

United Airlines, however, over-sold, over-booked their flight. When they figured that out at the gate (because evidently they could not figure out they had done so before that), they offered passengers $400 if they would take the next flight in an attempt to 'un-F*' the situation.

After quite a few people took them up on their offer, United allowed people to board the plane. Once on the plane United discovered there were still 4 passengers too many onboard the plane. At that point United asked 4 people to give up their seats, picking 4 people at random - one of them was 'THIS' guy:

United ASKED a man who had bought a ticket in advance and was told he was on this flight to give up his seat. He said, 'NO'. At that point United offered him $800 to give up his seat. He said, 'No'.

Even though the man told United that he was a doctor and had to be at his destination the next morning, United told the gentleman that he had NO CHOICE but to give up his seat:

"The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane."

Because United was too incompetent to count the number of seats on a plane versus how many they sold (or just being greedy and making it a policy to do so to ensure all seats are sold), United Airlines physically dragged a doctor off a plane.

I have faced a similar situation with them, was forced to take the next flight....which was in the morning (though I did not make them drag my arse off the plane).

Over-booking is either incompetence or bad policy...or both. Physically dragging someone off the plane is also NOT an option. I don't care if United had to offer someone $2,000 or more before someone finally took their offer and gave up their seat voluntarily - it was their screw up. They should have had to keep raising the amount of the money until someone volunteered.

I have a feeling the doctor's lawyers are going to make United pay way more than $800.

Video: Security drags screaming United Airlines passenger off overbooked flight — literally - Hot Air

All airlines over-book simply because people cancel.

This is why even if you are booked you should get to the airport way early and check-in hours before you need to.

Usted esta el stupido not UAL.

They all overbook for a reason. They have a running percentage on no-shows. Sometimes they get caught..

Agreed, and when you try to take up four seats for employees that happens in a big hurry. These employees were needed for a flight the following morning. Chicago to Chattanooga is about what? Four hours away, maybe five. Drive them there and leave the paying passengers alone.

I usually try to get the emergency exit seat for an extra $50 for more leg room.

Survival in the economy section takes getting there early.

Overbooking can often be blamed on business travelers. Many companies book several flights for one needed seat and decide later which one to take and cancel the rest. It happens so often that airlines overbook to try and compensate. They could stop overbooking by simply raising prices to compensate, but probably the same people that complain about overbooking would complain about the prices.

Overbooking can often be blamed on business travelers. Many companies book several flights for one needed seat and decide later which one to take and cancel the rest. It happens so often that airlines overbook to try and compensate. They could stop overbooking by simply raising prices to compensate, but probably the same people that complain about overbooking would complain about the prices.

A simpler solution is a less generous refund policy on cancellations.

I understand and basically have no problem overbooking... as long as the airlines understand that one they do that and they run into a situation like 'this' they will be forced to pay whatever the customer wants / will accept to give up their seat....not what THEY are willing to pay....and they sure as hell have no fight to physically remove a passenger from the plane in such a situation as this.

I have no doubt that had they explained to the people on board the plane that he was a doctor who had to be at his destination AND offered MORE money someone would have ended up volunteering.

They all overbook for a reason. They have a running percentage on no-shows. Sometimes they get caught..

Agreed, and when you try to take up four seats for employees that happens in a big hurry. These employees were needed for a flight the following morning. Chicago to Chattanooga is about what? Four hours away, maybe five. Drive them there and leave the paying passengers alone.

Probably the lay over pay for the employees amounted to more than would make off of selling the seat to a real customer. They pretty much have a captive customer base and no competition on most routes, so screw the customers, they'll take it and like it.

It was an overbook because United needed four employees at that location the next morning. So employees before customers.

That is the most annoying. That a passenger with a paid ticket is forcibly removed because United needs to make money at the destination

The next available flight was at 3PM the next afternoon. That is a major inconvenience for anyone, especially a Doctor who needs to see patients the next morning. An offer of $400 is insulting

Public relations nightmare for United

When I fly on business, I get charged a significant portion of my fare for a last minute cancellation or a change of plans. I have little sympathy for the airlines that nickel and dime you for every service

It was an overbook because United needed four employees at that location the next morning. So employees before customers.

planes cant take, airport gets backed up, other airport are effected as well.

It is like the want of a nail for the horse...........a war was lost

They had to pick randomly without volunteers. I've never been on a flight where there were no volunteers. Seats are given up for lots of reasons besides emergency crew for another destination. Mostly when a flight is asked it is for military, even for basic training. Medical or flying with children, even flying and need of accessibility for leg in cast or medical machinery/supplies.

Usually in the terms of agreement when booking a flight there is an in case passenger bumped.

In most cases when someone is physically removed from a flight it is because the passenger is acting like a moron and everyone cheers when he or she is led off the plane

This guy had a legitimate reason why he needed to be on the flight. To go goon squad on him while he is arguing for his seat is inexcusable

Capture.PNG

Forum List

Back