Income and Insight

No, their characters were just more revealed as a result of their circumstances. There are plenty of people who find themselves in that situation and overcome it.

You mean who perservere despite the adversity, right?

No doubt.

But the former studio musican drummer who broke his neck cannot, by dint of his forceful character and strong will, overcome that handicap.

My entire point is merely to refute the overstatement (or mistaken belief) that ones FREE WILL (read character) is everything that matters to the outcome of one's life.

Obviously character is damned important to one's life.

But FATE is no less important.

Last edited:
No, their characters were just more revealed as a result of their circumstances. There are plenty of people who find themselves in that situation and overcome it.

No doubt.

But the former studio musican drummer who broke his neck cannot, by dint of his forceful character and strong will, overcome that handicap.

My entire point is merely to refute the overstatement (or mistaken belief) that ones FREE WILL (read character) is everything that matters to the outcome of one's life.

On another thread, I was discussing what is temporary labeled "Foxfyre's "W" Law" which, similar to Godwin's Law re Hitler or Nazis, is the phenomenon that no matter what the subject is, the longer it continues the higher the probability that somebody will insert a criticism of President Bush.

I think I need to come with with a term for this phenomenon that no matter what concept or principle is being discussed, somebody will come up with the uncommon extreme exception and focus on that as if it is the norm. The implication is that a policy is justified because there will be that extreme exception.

Well most people are not quadriplegics. Very few people are unable to participate in their own circumstances. A moral society takes care of the truly helpless and it should be a separate discussion as to what, if any, role the Federal government should be involved in that. To include quadriplegics as if everybody is like them is to deflect from the issue being discussed.

So if we could just focus on the vast majority of people who are not helpless and are not quadriplegics--you know, those I was obviously talking about, it would be helpful.

My belief is that the government does nobody any favors by making the people who are not quadriplegics and who are not helpless more and more dependent on government for their everyday needs and existence. I am convinced that this is a corrupting influence on the people in power in government and those they encourage to embrace such dependency.

And that is a matter of character too.

No doubt.

Of course he can. He may not be able to be a drummer. But hopefully there is more to life than being a drummer.

No doubt.

Of course he can. He may not be able to be a drummer. But hopefully there is more to life than being a drummer.

Sure. Joni comes to mind right away. But in fairness to Editec, there are people such as quadriplegics or with other incapacitating medical conditions or severe mental handicaps who cannot survive without the help of others. And a moral society does care for such people.

My quarrel with Editec is he ssems to think that policy should be based on those extreme cases and include the vast majority who aren't unable to help themselves.

I see the two situations as unrelated and whatever policies are adopted, such policy should deal with each separately.

No doubt.

Sure. Joni comes to mind right away. But in fairness to Editec, there are people such as quadriplegics or with other incapacitating medical conditions or severe mental handicaps who cannot survive without the help of others. And a moral society does care for such people.

My quarrel with Editec is he ssems to think that policy should be based on those extreme cases and include the vast majority who aren't unable to help themselves.

I see the two situations as unrelated and whatever policies are adopted, such policy should deal with each separately.

I dont doubt that's the case. But even so there are people who function independently to the best of their abilities. And then there are people who piss and moan about bad off they are.

There's nothing misrepresented. You're grasping at straws because it's all you have left. So she left that category out. Citing a 47% approval rating as a smoking gun doesn't really help you. Last I checked that was also still less than half.

She left out the richest category because their approval rating of Obama is higher than the middle class approval rating, and thus demolishes her latest awkward attempt at making a point.

It's pretty sad when a rightwinger has to distort a CNS story in order to propagandize against Obama.

Were you slow in math or something? IT'S 47 FUCKING PERCENT. AS IN LESS THAN HALF, GENIUS. Are you honestly going to try to tell us that, had she cited it, you would be flapping your arms like an idiot, 'but look at that wonderful 47% approval rating by the wealthy' and stand on that as evidence.

How more clear do you need this made for you? A percentage less than half supports HER argument, not yours.

No, because Obama in that poll has MORE support from the wealthiest Americans than he does from the middle class. Was that the point the OP was trying to make?

I dont doubt that's the case. But even so there are people who function independently to the best of their abilities. And then there are people who piss and moan about bad off they are.

Yes. My quarrel with government policy that encourages people to become dependent on government is that it teaches them to think that they can't help themselves. Or so saps them of initiative that they no longer want to try. Eventually too many just don't care anymore. The net result is apathy and inaction or lashing out in frustration and anger because they hate their situation and are no longer able to see that it is of their own making. But they keep voting for the government who makes it possible for them to be needy, artificially incapacitated, frustrated, and angry because they believe promises that it will get better when it never does. Or they fear any change in that status quo.

I used to think that this was an unintended consequence of good intentions. I am more and more becoming convinced that it is often intentional such as the fine print or unwritten intent in the healthcare legislation just passed. And I can't shake the idea that to intentionally make people dependent on government results in a kind of involuntary servitude and I can't shake the idea that such is evil.

Yes. My quarrel with government policy that encourages people to become dependent on government is that it teaches them to think that they can't help themselves. Or so saps them of initiative that they no longer want to try. Eventually too many just don't care anymore. The net result is apathy and inaction or lashing out in frustration and anger because they hate their situation and are no longer able to see that it is of their own making. But they keep voting for the government who makes it possible for them to be needy, artificially incapacitated, frustrated, and angry because they believe promises that it will get better when it never does. Or they fear any change in that status quo.

I used to think that this was an unintended consequence of good intentions. I am more and more becoming convinced that it is often intentional such as the fine print or unwritten intent in the healthcare legislation just passed. And I can't shake the idea that to intentionally make people dependent on government results in a kind of involuntary servitude and I can't shake the idea that such is evil.

You just keep on preaching, moralizing and pontificating about OTHERS...

WHAT are your solutions? Cut people off? While you are up on your little soap box, take a good long LOOK around you. You will see that half the human beings you call dependent ARE dependents...

If you're still in doubt about things just remember that a prosperous & affluent America does the Democratic Party no good. Without endless Class Warfare and Race-Baiting,they have nothing. Third World misery is actually what they need to seize permanent power. You can't have Class Warfare without it. Divide & Conquer. It's the Saul Alinsky way.

Again no facts, Obama will crush the next war mongerer the repukes send in as a sacraficial lamb. We are tired of occupying countries, we could use those trillions here.

Obviously you're still confused. Without Third World misery here in America,the Democratic Party is all done. They desperately rely on Class Warfare & Race-Baiting for their support. You can only have more Class Warfare if the country moves closer to Third World misery. The whiny loser dummies vote Democrat for obvious reasons. A prosperous & affluent America does the Democratic Party no good in the end. Without their endless Class Warfare & Race-Baiting,what do they have? Third World misery is essential for them. It's no coincidence they're taking us there so rapidly. People are catching on though. Hopefully it wont be too late.

Does that mean you're really a hopey-changey kinda guy after all?

WHAT are your solutions? Cut people off? While you are up on your little soap box, take a good long LOOK around you. You will see that half the human beings you call dependent ARE dependents...

Step 1 is recognizing the problem. You haven't reached that step yet. When you do, we can discuss Step 2.

Step 1 is recognizing the problem. You haven't reached that step yet. When you do, we can discuss Step 2.

Hey Rabid, fuck you. As USUAL, you right wing pea brains just like to push down others. It's what drowning victims do...

Foxfyre said:
Kids should grow up seeing their parents get up, get dressed, get breakfast, get the kids off to school and at least one going to work and bringing home earned cash to support the family. They should see that as the norm and not mom and/or pop receiving a government check and sitting around muttering about how bad things are.

True, so who better to promote that value that the president, which he has frequently done, especially during the campaign (even to the chagrin of some people in his audience).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/us/politics/17obama.html?_r=1
July 16, 2009
President Obama delivered a fiery sermon to black America on Thursday night, warning black parents that they must accept their own responsibilities by “putting away the Xbox and putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour,” and telling black children that growing up poor is no reason to get bad grades.

“No one has written your destiny for you,” he said, directing his remarks to “all the other Barack Obamas out there” who might one day grow up to be president. “Your destiny is in your hands, and don’t you forget that. That’s what we have to teach all of our children! No excuses! No excuses!”

I still maintain that the bulk of abuse of the "welfare" state comes FROM the states who administer such programs. In Vermont, where I live, there are strict guidelines for qualifying for any pubic aid at all, including food stamps (which ARE administered by the federal government). The states receive block grants for many of the social programs, including Medicaid, and the eligibility requirements sometimes vary greatly from state to state. In Vermont, the welfare to work program is nearly 100% successful because we have excellent training programs, including one called "reach up" where people with absolutely zero skills can learn how to put up drywall, get CDLs for over-the-road trucking, etc., even women. If and when they still haven't found a job within the two-year limitation, they're on their own and receive nothing but food stamps (which they also need to prove eligibility).

Hey Rabid, fuck you. As USUAL, you right wing pea brains just like to push down others. It's what drowning victims do...

Nothing to add here, eh? All out of talking points so you go for the obscenities. What a maroon.

Nothing to add here, eh? All out of talking points so you go for the obscenities. What a maroon.

I will bet you don't even have the ability to comprehend my statement to Foxfyre.

Sometimes the only answer to 'what would you do?' is simply stop.

Stop pontificating.
Stop passing bills that nobody has read.
Stop irresponsible spending most especially trying to spend ourselves rich.
Stop pushing government programs on people who don't want them.
Stop pushing an agenda that scares people to death.
Stop looking for government programs or initiatives or mandates as the solution for all human problems.
Stop trying to fix something by throwing stuff at the walls hoping something will stick.
Stop growing the size, scope, and power of government by taking more and more of the people's freedoms and resources.

Just stop until the dust settles and we can assess what government has to do and what it doesn't have to do.

To ask what we would replace all that with makes about as much sense as what do you replace it with when you put out a fire?

Stop pontificating.
Stop looking for government programs or initiatives or mandates as the solution for all human problems.
Stop trying to fix something by throwing stuff at the walls hoping something will stick.
Stop growing the size, scope, and power of government by taking more and more of the people's freedoms and resources.

Just stop until the dust settles and we can assess what government has to do and what it doesn't have to do.

To ask what we would replace all that with makes about as much sense as what do you replace it with when you put out a fire?

i thought the same thing the 6-8 years of president bush....

what goes around comes around, i suppose?:eusa_whistle:

Stop pontificating.

How about just replacing the word 'people' in your hysterical, fear filled tirade with 'ME'

Forum List

Back