Income and Insight

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Less than half of middle class Americans now believe that President Barack Obama is doing a good job, according to a new Gallup Poll.

Among those earning from $24,000 to $59,988 a year, just 46 percent say they approve of the job Obama is doing, down from 51 percent in May and 66 percent in the week of his inauguration.

Among Americans earning $60,000 to $89,988 a year, 44 percent approve of his job performance, down from 51 percent in May and 69 percent during inauguration week.

The only income bracket in which a majority still approves of Obama’s job performance is those earning less than $24,000 a year — and only 52 percent of them approve.

Overall, 46 percent of Americans told Gallup they approve of Obama’s job performance during the week of June 7-13, tying for the worst week of his presidency.

CNSNews.com - Middle Class Is Abandoning Obama: He Gets Majority Approval Rating Only From Americans Making Less Than $24,000 Per Year

But polls don't matter, right?

It is odd that people in the lowest income group still have the highest approval rating of him. He has done nothing for them. The cash for clunkers and cash for houses benefitted chiefly middle class people. It is no wonder he has enlisted Al Sharpton to shore up his support in the black community.

Obama's demonizing of The Rich and calls for increasing taxes on them plays well with those at the lowest income levels.

It is odd that people in the lowest income group still have the highest approval rating of him. He has done nothing for them. The cash for clunkers and cash for houses benefitted chiefly middle class people. It is no wonder he has enlisted Al Sharpton to shore up his support in the black community.

Polls don't matter until they start comparing "Do you prefer Candadate A or Candadate B?"

Once we start getting actual names to compete with the President, polls are irrelevant

Less than half of middle class Americans now believe that President Barack Obama is doing a good job, according to a new Gallup Poll.

Among those earning from $24,000 to $59,988 a year, just 46 percent say they approve of the job Obama is doing, down from 51 percent in May and 66 percent in the week of his inauguration.

Among Americans earning $60,000 to $89,988 a year, 44 percent approve of his job performance, down from 51 percent in May and 69 percent during inauguration week.

The only income bracket in which a majority still approves of Obama’s job performance is those earning less than $24,000 a year — and only 52 percent of them approve.

Overall, 46 percent of Americans told Gallup they approve of Obama’s job performance during the week of June 7-13, tying for the worst week of his presidency.

CNSNews.com - Middle Class Is Abandoning Obama: He Gets Majority Approval Rating Only From Americans Making Less Than $24,000 Per Year

So? What president hasn't seen a decline once he got in power? Reality bites.

Frankly, with all the negativity I see everywhere I look, I'm surprised the ODS hasn't become pandemic and his approval ratings even lower.

Obama: Job Ratings
Obama: Favorability

So? What president hasn't seen a decline once he got in power? Reality bites.

Frankly, with all the negativity I see everywhere I look, I'm surprised the ODS hasn't become pandemic and his approval ratings even lower.

Obama: Job Ratings
Obama: Favorability

Maggie, you have made a point, but have sidestepped what is clearly the most interesting aspect of the OP.

Why is it only the lowest income group that still supports the President?

Is there a relationship between income and insight?

Who are the members of this group?

Do you think there is a relationship between income and education, and, if so, how is education related to the polls?

Care to play?

Obama's rhetoric concerning the rich and corporations plays right into the lower income brackets thinking process....let's face it...the lower income bracketted individuals are basically high school drop out uneducated types who don't have shit...and have to rely on government assisstance. They rely on the internet, Olberman, Maddow and the DailyKOS for their news and political content. Welfare, foodstamps and the thought of free healthcare on the backs of the rich keeps them in control. Sorry if that's a little blunt to anyone.

Obama's rhetoric concerning the rich and corporations plays right into the lower income brackets thinking process....let's face it...the lower income bracketted individuals are basically high school drop out uneducated types who don't have shit...and have to rely on government assisstance. They rely on the internet, Olberman, Maddow and the DailyKOS for their news and political content. Welfare, foodstamps and the thought of free healthcare on the backs of the rich keeps them in control. Sorry if that's a little blunt to anyone.

While it may be blunt, the picture is a bit more nuanced in that the same folks who support the President now, the lowest income group...they become the middle class shortly.
So, contrary to the prevalent 'victim cult' here, on the board, there must be some sort of learning curve that makes folks more realistic as they become more wealthy.

"More than three-quarters of those working Americans whose incomes were in the bottom 20 percent in 1975 were also in the top 40 percent of income earners at some point by 1991, says Sowell."
Source: Thomas Sowell, "How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions," Investor's Business Daily, January 12, 2010.
For text:
How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions - IBD - Investors.com

So, does that mean that folks get smarter as they become more wealthy, or that they become more wealthy because they become smarter?

Lefties, take note.

Polls didn't matter to the OP yesterday when she tried to make a case that Obama is doing poorly with foreign policy whilst categorically dismissing the fact that the American people give Obama his highest approval marks in the area of foreign policy.

I guess polls matter on odd days, not even days.

Polls didn't matter to the OP yesterday when she tried to make a case that Obama is doing poorly with foreign policy whilst categorically dismissing the fact that the American people give Obama his highest approval marks in the area of foreign policy.

I guess polls matter on odd days, not even days.

You realize that's not a contradiction, right?
The president has screwed up every area of his responsibility six ways from Sunday. He has screwed up foreign affairs the least. That is also the area that the fewest people pay attention to (how many can find the Czech Republic on a map?).

Gee, I wonder why this portion got surgically excised from the OP?

And among those earning $7,500 or more per month ($90,000 per year or more), the highest income bracket recorded by Gallup, 47 percent said they approved of the job Obama is doing

So I guess while President Obama is doing best among the poorest,

he's doing second best among the richest.

oops to all you clowns who didn't bother to actually READ the article, or the data, before you chimed in with your class warfare rants.

lol

PS...note to dishonest OP'er. When you quote a portion of an article and intentionally leave some text out, you're supposed to throw in a DOT DOT DOT.

And among those earning $7,500 or more per month ($90,000 per year or more), the highest income bracket recorded by Gallup, 47 percent said they approved of the job Obama is doing

oops to all you clowns who didn't bother to actually READ the article, or the data, before you chimed in with your class warfare rants.

lol

PS...note to dishonest OP'er. When you quote a portion of an article and intentionally leave some text out, you're supposed to throw in a DOT DOT DOT.

N wonder he's popular among all those Wall St bankers. They supported him overwhelmingly in the election and hes paying them back.
Thanks for pointing out his gross hypocrisy!

While it may be blunt, the picture is a bit more nuanced in that the same folks who support the President now, the lowest income group...they become the middle class shortly.
So, contrary to the prevalent 'victim cult' here, on the board, there must be some sort of learning curve that makes folks more realistic as they become more wealthy.

"More than three-quarters of those working Americans whose incomes were in the bottom 20 percent in 1975 were also in the top 40 percent of income earners at some point by 1991, says Sowell."
Source: Thomas Sowell, "How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions," Investor's Business Daily, January 12, 2010.
For text:
How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions - IBD - Investors.com

So, does that mean that folks get smarter as they become more wealthy, or that they become more wealthy because they become smarter?

Lefties, take note.

Excellent questions indeed....I would tend to think that as you get upset over your condition and get sick of being broke all the time you DO in fact motivate yourself to find a solution to your predicament....usually that's through education, determination and elbow grease. Anyone who chooses hard work will achieve success.

lol

There was nothing dishonest about the OP.

Did you find it tragic that you had to read the entire article? Poor baby...

The lead sentence was "Less than half of middle class Americans now believe that President Barack Obama is doing a good job, according to a new Gallup Poll." and the OP contained proof of same.

You seem a bit petulant...could it be due to the numbers and how they reflect on your choices?

Grow up. Wise up.

lol

There was nothing dishonest about the OP.

Did you find it tragic that you had to read the entire article? Poor baby...

The lead sentence was "Less than half of middle class Americans now believe that President Barack Obama is doing a good job, according to a new Gallup Poll." and the OP contained proof of same.

You seem a bit petulant...could it be due to the numbers and how they reflect on your choices?

Grow up. Wise up.

I find it hilarious that I only had to read the article to find out you intentionally misrepresented the numbers in order to propagandize them. You managed to make fools of a couple of your rightwing nut buddies too, which is even hilarious-er.

pc, this was YOU trying to bait the rich and middle classes against the poor, an elitist attitude of look how dumb the poor is and how smart the rich are...

it was below you.

Besides the fact that there is little difference in the percentages among classes....

are you not SHOCKED that nearly half of the poor DO NOT APPROVE of obama and have actually taken that position? You would THINK you would be praising them because according all that I have heard from your crowd you would think the entire lowest income workers would ALL SUPPORT Obama....

His approval ratings have dropped 21% among that lowest income group though, so at least some of them are catching on that the messiah they hoped to save them is wearing no clothes and has feet of clay just like everybody else.

Let's face it. There are a few folks in all income brackets who don't look to benefices to determine what they think about somebody.

But those who still expect or at least hope that Obama is as good as his rhetoric are likely to give him their approval. The lowest income group is being supported as they always have been, so they don't have any ax to grind.

Those who have figured out that it is almost all rhetoric and no carry though--or any carry through will be mostly symbolic rather than a realistic benefit or solution--now score him negatively.

I think insight has a huge bearing on it, but the societal benefits to the lower income groups is certainly a factor.

I wouldn't say he's done nothing for the lower end of the income ladder. To wit:

• EITC expansions, unemployment compensation extensions, temporary expansions of the supplemental nutrition assistance program
  • Increases in Pell grant funding
  • Getting health care reform passed, temporarily increasing Medicaid funding to states

Any one of those by itself would be fairly significant but together you're seeing major efforts toward economic assistance, education financing, and health care coverage expansion.

Pell Grants aren't generally taken by working/welfare class people.
And with the gov't takeoever of the student loan market I doubt he's made many friends there.

Huh? Pell grants are specifically aimed at lower-income students. For example (guidetocareereducation.com/financial-aid/career-education-through-grants):

During the 2005-2006 year, 57% of Pell grant recipients had family incomes of less than $20,000.​

And the large increases in Pell Grants are coming because the health care reconciliation bill ends FFELP, saving billions.

Forum List

Back