In-n-Out Burger is way overrated

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
When I was stoned and in college I went there and loved the burgers. I was just in PHX and to my surprise they were everywhere. I stopped in and wasn’t impressed. They were better than McDonald’s, but not by much. The fries are god awful. The prices are good though. Not sure all the hype.

The burgers aren’t as good (or even close) as 5 guys, EPIC burger or smash burger (I will admit I have only eaten at each one of these places once, but I remember them being pretty damn good).

When you think of iconic fast food few can ever live up to the hype. The only ones that comes to mind are Portillo’s (trust me if you are in Chicago get the Beef and chopped salad) and Chicken Hut (one location grilled chicken joynt in chi town).

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I do love me a good burger.

But holy crap, this burger thing has gone over the top. Have you seen the shows on the Food Network where they make these MASSIVE burgers with 50 ingredients and they're about two feet high?

HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO EAT THE DAMN THINGS
b746e1f3704bdb0dd2ddeebb51daf0e3.jpg

When I was stoned and in college I went there and loved the burgers. I was just in PHX and to my surprise they were everywhere. I stopped in and wasn’t impressed. They were better than McDonald’s, but not by much. The fries are god awful. The prices are good though. Not sure all the hype.

The burgers aren’t as good (or even close) as 5 guys, EPIC burger or smash burger (I will admit I have only eaten at each one of these places once, but I remember them being pretty damn good).

When you think of iconic fast food few can ever live up to the hype. The only ones that comes to mind are Portillo’s (trust me if you are in Chicago get the Beef and chopped salad) and Chicken Hut (one location grilled chicken joynt in chi town).

Last time I went to one, they were cutting their OWN fries from real potatoes. Not reconstituted potato mix. MAYBE --- you just don't know what REAL fried potatoes are SUPPOSED to taste like.. :biggrin:

I like In-N-Out burgers, but I wouldn't stand in a really long line to get one.

Smashburger is OK. I really like their chicken sandwiches. They're better than their hamburgers.

Burger-Fi is awesome.

So is Shake Shack.

And I really like 5 Guys. I can make a Teenburger like they make at A&W in Canada, which is the best.

Fuddruckers is really good, too.

Ted's Montana Grill makes awesome burgers, but they're expensive.

Portillo’s is one of the best but why go to a franchise when there are countless mom and pop sandwich shops to try out and find one that is even better than Portillo’s?

You know, when I'm coming home from a late night, or when I feel like eating burgers that taste good (at least to me), and are cheap, you can't go wrong with the belly bombers known as Krystal hamburgers.

Yeah, I know, they are cheap, small, and pressed flat burgers, but for some reason I really liked them when I was stationed in the South.

Don't ever bring up protillos to me, one time I had such a craving on a Friday night after work I drove on a whim 800 miles to Chicago, just to get me 2 hotdogs, an Italian beef sandwich , large fries and a large coke..

When I lived in Oakland, there was a local burger chain called TrueBurger, and I think they made the best semi-fast food burger that I've ever had - above Shake Shake, Five Guys and all the others.

Portillo’s is one of the best but why go to a franchise when there are countless mom and pop sandwich shops to try out and find one that is even better than Portillo’s?

I used to be a ittelien beef monster, I must have to went to every damn hot dog stand in my life up in the northwest Chicago to find the perfect ond, Mr. Beefs good, but I found this one joint in o'hare airport that served 5 thumbs up ittelien beef sandwiches..

There used to be this hot dog joint on river road near the thirsty whale that had the best home made potato salad anywhere I could find in Chicago.

I like In-N-Out burgers, but I wouldn't stand in a really long line to get one.

Smashburger is OK. I really like their chicken sandwiches. They're better than their hamburgers.

Burger-Fi is awesome.

So is Shake Shack.

And I really like 5 Guys. I can make a Teenburger like they make at A&W in Canada, which is the best.

Fuddruckers is really good, too.

Ted's Montana Grill makes awesome burgers, but they're expensive.
Where are some of these places? I have never heard of Burger-Fi, Shake Shack, and Ted's Montana Grill.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I have heard of Smash Burger, I've seen their gift card, but I don't know where one is.

Last time I went to one, they were cutting their OWN fries from real potatoes. Not reconstituted potato mix. MAYBE --- you just don't know what REAL fried potatoes are SUPPOSED to taste like.. :biggrin:
Five Guys does the same, but the fries are exponentially better. They're not trying to replicate McDonald's fries.

Best burger I've ever had is some random place about an hour away from me in the middle of nowhere. Well, there's probably something there, but I don't know what lol.

Melt Gourmet Cheeseburgers - Leesburg, VA

Five Guys does the same, but the fries are exponentially better. They're not trying to replicate McDonald's fries.

Five Guys fries are so good because they are fresh cut every day. And, if you're interested in knowing where the potatoes they are using came from, it is posted on a board next to their menu.

I also dig their malt shakes.

Five Guys fries are so good because they are fresh cut every day. And, if you're interested in knowing where the potatoes they are using came from, it is posted on a board next to their menu.

You know I've never had a 5 guys shake. Do they sell them at all locations?

I'm pretty sure they do. And, if you get a malted shake, tell them to only use half malt, unless you like it REALLY malty. 1/2 malt is the way to go with a 5 guys shake.

I like In & Out burgers. But I like my own homemade burger better.

I'm pretty sure they do. And, if you get a malted shake, tell them to only use half malt, unless you like it REALLY malty. 1/2 malt is the way to go with a 5 guys shake.
I just checked it's only at participating locations. Argh!

To tell you the truth, for a long time, the best burgers in Amarillo were at a biker bar called Boondocks. They were 1/3 lb burgers and were dusted with the owner's own secret concoction called "Bear Dirt". He never let anyone know what the ingredients were or how he made it, but that stuff made the burgers outstanding.

The best burger on his menu was his Bacon Blue Cheese burger.

I just checked it's only at participating locations. Argh!

Well, if you find one close to you that makes shakes, like I said, don't order it with full malt, ask them to make it with only half. Otherwise, it's way too sweet.

Forum List

Back