Wendy's is going to start surge-pricing burgers, fries, and more

These tactics are the opposite of what is being proposed. They are going to raise prices not discount them. The whole idea of fast food is convenience and cheap prices. The promotions that you suggested are made to increase patronage during slow times or to attract a demographic that might not otherwise use your business. The idea of raising prices to deter patronage during a particular time is a losing proposition. IMHO
/——/ Where do you get the idea the surge pricing is to DETER patronage?

If you can buy a burger at 11:29 a.m. or at 1 p.m. for $3 but between those times, the same burger costs $4---what do you think the effect would be?
/——/ “Both businesses and consumers stand to gain from dynamic pricing, Wendy's and experts argue. A less flexible consumer might be willing to pay a higher price to immediately get a product, while someone who is more price conscious might wait for a deal. And the move can help retailers better manage traffic throughout the day, leading to more manageable conditions for workers and better service for customers: “You can iron out the surge in demand and use the surge price to deal with [it],” says Zhang.”

They could also use it to cut prices to attract more customers at breakfast.

Last edited:
And the move can help retailers better manage traffic throughout the day,
My patronage doesn't depend on what is convenient for the business. I am the paying customer, they would be well advised to make things convenient for me---or I assure you, someplace else that is more customer focused will. Wendy's isn't discounting--they are raising the prices to level the spikes that fast food outlets are all subject too. They will discover that they are a following a bad model if they haven't already.

It is a pretty common business practice. Hotels have been doing it forever. A room on a Tuesday is almost always cheaper than one on a Saturday. Rooms when there is an event in town are much higher than when nothing is going on.

Uber has been doing it for a while now.

Airlines do it.

Not sure what the uproar is about

My patronage doesn't depend on what is convenient for the business. I am the paying customer, they would be well advised to make things convenient for me---or I assure you, someplace else that is more customer focused will. Wendy's isn't discounting--they are raising the prices to level the spikes that fast food outlets are all subject too. They will discover that they are a following a bad model if they haven't already.
/----/ I guess you never booked an airline ticket on short notice, or booked a restaurant on Valentine's day, or Uber during rush hour, but, no worries, Wendy's is backing off.

/----/ I guess you never booked an airline ticket on short notice, or booked a restaurant on Valentine's day, or Uber during rush hour, but, no worries, Wendy's is backing off.
I certainly am aware of the point you are making with airlines and hotels. Those are apples and oranges to fast food and often grow into 10s to 100s of dollars of increases. I don't think a person that is scrimping on bucks and going to a fast food for a quick lunch is going to go to Wendy's and pay an inflated price when they can go literally next door to a Burger King and get two Whoppers for $6. I wasn't worried --just commenting on what I consider to be a bad business move for a fast food outlet. I haven't been to Wendy's in over 5 years.

Yea, Wendys is good, if you can ever get yourself to an in-and-out, they are the BEST. And damn reasonably priced, too. They toast the buns lightly, damn that makes a hamburger SOOOO much better.
I find In and out to be very bland.

It is a pretty common business practice. Hotels have been doing it forever. A room on a Tuesday is almost always cheaper than one on a Saturday. Rooms when there is an event in town are much higher than when nothing is going on.

Uber has been doing it for a while now.

Airlines do it.

Not sure what the uproar is about

Higher prices on anything make Joe Biden's economic policies look bad, so his cultists will deny anything that shows higher prices, and smear the sources.

I'm old school, so my go to was always Original Tommy's from Los Angeles. THEIR burgers are loaded with flavor.

I'm talking fast food. We have a burger joint in Lafayette that's a mom and pop shop that has been open for almost 70 years and is the burger in Louisiana that all burgers are measured against. But it's not fast food.

Forum List

Back