In honor of Black History month

Hannibal Barca The greatest military leader of all time.

828457.jpg

BHM is racist. Just like Black awards.

That's actually true. How much shit would be stirred up if there was a "Who's Who in White [Insert City]", or "American Caucasian College Fund", or "White Entertainment Channel"?

I'm completely in support of emphasizing the role the black community has had in history, but holing it up in a single month lends people the notion that the other 11 they can continue their bigoted separatist slant.

My take on it is a little different. I disapprove of Black History Month because the implication is that it is somehow special that black people have accomplished good things while it isn't considered special or unique or remarkale that white people have accomplished good things. I think it continues the myth that it is unusual, remarkable, and noteworthy that a black person managed to be accomplished at something other than sports.

I want a society in which black people are not BLACK people but are just Americans as all other Americans. I want a society in which black people aren't singled out as "Wow! and he's BLACK!" when he or she does something noteworthy. I think to continue to emphasize race as important, we perpetuate racism. Morgan Freeman was 100% right about that.

Last edited:
BHM is racist. Just like Black awards.

That's actually true. How much shit would be stirred up if there was a "Who's Who in White [Insert City]", or "American Caucasian College Fund", or "White Entertainment Channel"?

I'm completely in support of emphasizing the role the black community has had in history, but holing it up in a single month lends people the notion that the other 11 they can continue their bigoted separatist slant.

My take on it is a little different. I disapprove of Black History Month because the implication is that it is somehow special or unique or remarkable that black people have accomplished good things. It isn't considered special or unique or remarkale that white people have accomplished good things. I think it continues the myth that it is unusual, remarkable, and noteworthy that a black person managed to be accomplished at something other than sports.

I want a society in which black people are included as all other Americans and aren't singled out as "Wow! and he's BLACK!" when he or she does something noteworthy. I think to continue to emphasize race as important, we perpetuate racism. Morgan Freeman was 100% right about that.

Where you and Morgan Freeman are wrong is that here in the US these accomplishments came in spite of social and legal barriers. If you have a problem with that then just dont celebrate it.

My take on it is a little different. I disapprove of Black History Month because the implication is that it is somehow special or unique or remarkable that black people have accomplished good things. It isn't considered special or unique or remarkale that white people have accomplished good things. I think it continues the myth that it is unusual, remarkable, and noteworthy that a black person managed to be accomplished at something other than sports.

I want a society in which black people are included as all other Americans and aren't singled out as "Wow! and he's BLACK!" when he or she does something noteworthy. I think to continue to emphasize race as important, we perpetuate racism. Morgan Freeman was 100% right about that.

Where you and Morgan Freeman are wrong is that here in the US these accomplishments came in spite of social and legal barriers. If you have a problem with that then just dont celebrate it.

Social problems like tons of single black parents, and legal barriers like Affirmative Action?

I don't have a problem with acknowledging that any individual had to overcome social and legal barriers when that is part of his/her story. Helen Keller's accomplishments would have been remarkable anyway, but are significiantly more remarkable because she was both deaf and blind. But I don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. I will accept responsibility that I am communicating it poorly and let it go at that.

Social problems like tons of single black parents, and legal barriers like Affirmative Action?

More like legal white AA in the form of slavery and jim crow. The social problems like racism when white heavyweight boxers were afraid to box black guys.

I don't have a problem with acknowledging that any individual had to overcome social and legal barriers when that is part of his/her story. Helen Keller's accomplishments would have been remarkable anyway, but are significiantly more remarkable because she was both deaf and blind. But I don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. I will accept responsibility that I am communicating it poorly and let it go at that.

You dont have to let it go. Please explain. I have always wondered why Black people celebrating Black people is a problem for anyone else.

More like legal white AA in the form of slavery and jim crow. The social problems like racism when white heavyweight boxers were afraid to box black guys.

That was eons ago, so what's your excuse?

You dont have to let it go. Please explain. I have always wondered why Black people celebrating Black people is a problem for anyone else.
For the same reason it's offensive to celebrate White Pride.

For the same reason it's offensive to celebrate White Pride.

Why is that offensive? Is it because you smell or something?

How is it a problem?

Makes race stand out as a important issue.

Is race not an imporant issue in this country? I personally wish it wasn't but thats not the world we live in.

And that's my whole point in objecting to these ethnic recognition months. If we are really serious about creating a color blind society, we need to stop focusing on skin color and ethnicity and start focusing on American achievements. Overcoming racial and/or ethnic or other barriers will inevitably be part of many stories within that, but in my opinion to single out people who are BLACK first and achievers second defeats the purpose however well intended it was.

Forum List

Back