In honor of Black History month

I updated my avatar to something more serious, as in retrospect I believe Buckwheat does not quite embrace the seriousness of the celebration.

man, confusing.

i wonder what black history month is trying to accomplish and what it has accomplished and if the two are the same.

me, i went to the ghetto catholic school in my city and my kid went to a very predominantly (95%) black public school and no one made a big deal out of black history month at my son's school, and i would visit all the time. no big deal.

what i see reading these threads though is a devisiveness that need not occur over our acknowledgement of the contributions of good americans. that to me ain't what black history month is supposed to be about.

the whole thing is beginning to strangle up my mind.

all this stuff should really begin at home anyway. teachers will teach the accepted version of history no matter what and all the kids will see is the rev. dr. martin luther king jr. being non-violent and they will miss the malcolm X standing behind him that made that non-violent resistance work.

so my son is 7 y.o. and his mom comes to pick him up for visitation and we get along sometimes so i take them to the indian cultural center and there was a guided kids tour so we sloop in. the woman comes to a display of a great chief of nez pierce and asks "do any of you boys or girls know who this is?" and my kid raises his hand and chirps out "Hinmatoowyalahtket" (hin-ma-to-ya-lat-ket) and the docent lady starts to mist up and she says to him "thank you. i have worked here 17 years and no one has called him by his native name." i was kinda proud because i taught him to respect those native names...and i think we should be teaching those things to our kids about all people. please, forgive me for bragging about the guy..

hell, my son could sit down and discuss the differences in political philosophy and social strategies between bobby seale and huey newton and ya ain't gonna learn that during black history month even if you and toto aren't in kansas anymore and are plopped down on the other side of the bay bridge.

siochain, mo cairde, ach ni gan saoirse.

Hubert Harrison

Hubert Harrison was an immensely skilled writer, orator, educator, critic, and political activist who, more than any other political leader of his era, combined class consciousness and anti-white-supremacist race consciousness into a coherent political radicalism. Harrison's ideas profoundly influenced "New Negro" militants, including A. Philip Randolph and Marcus Garvey, and his synthesis of class and race issues is a key unifying link between the two great trends of the Black Liberation Movement: the labor- and civil-rights-based work of Martin Luther King Jr. and the race and nationalist platform associated with Malcolm X.

Harrison-hubert.jpg

This guy's head is pretty bulbous. Fyi, Malcolm X was a terrorist.

Malcolm X was a liberator. Malcolm X was the liberator.

man, confusing.

i wonder what black history month is trying to accomplish and what it has accomplished and if the two are the same.

me, i went to the ghetto catholic school in my city and my kid went to a very predominantly (95%) black public school and no one made a big deal out of black history month at my son's school, and i would visit all the time. no big deal.

what i see reading these threads though is a devisiveness that need not occur over our acknowledgement of the contributions of good americans. that to me ain't what black history month is supposed to be about.

all this stuff should really begin at home anyway. teachers will teach the accepted version of history no matter what and all the kids will see is the rev. dr. martin luther king jr. being non-violent and they will miss the malcolm X standing behind him that made that non-violent resistance work.

so my son is 7 y.o. and his mom comes to pick him up for visitation and we get along sometimes so i take them to the indian cultural center and there was a guided kids tour so we sloop in. the woman comes to a display of a great chief of nez pierce and asks "do any of you boys or girls know who this is?" and my kid raises his hand and chirps out "Hinmatoowyalahtket" (hin-ma-to-ya-lat-ket) and the docent lady starts to mist up and she says to him "thank you. i have worked here 17 years and no one has called him by his native name." i was kinda proud because i taught him to respect those native names...and i think we should be teaching those things to our kids about all people. please, forgive me for bragging about the guy..

hell, my son could sit down and discuss the differences in political philosophy and social strategies between bobby seale and huey newton and ya ain't gonna learn that during black history month even if you and toto aren't in kansas anymore and are plopped down on the other side of the bay bridge.

Yes. I dont understand why someone would get upset at or disagree with BHM. To me its simply a month to hear about some people that others may have not heard about. How that is divisive is beyond me. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is the jealousy you may see exhibited by toddlers when you praise one but not the other. This is even if you praised the neglected toddler earlier that morning for an hour. Personally I think everyone should have a particular month were the accomplishments of a specific ethnicity is highlighted. My only knock on BHM is that the emphasis is always put on slavery and jim crow. We need to hear a lot more about the Malcolms, the Garveys, Imhoteps, the empires of Ghana etc.

man, confusing.

Yes. I dont understand why someone would get upset at or disagree with BHM. To me its simply a month to hear about some people that others may have not heard about. How that is divisive is beyond me. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is the jealousy you may see exhibited by toddlers when you praise one but not the other. This is even if you praised the neglected toddler earlier that morning for an hour. Personally I think everyone should have a particular month were the accomplishments of a specific ethnicity is highlighted. My only knock on BHM is that the emphasis is always put on slavery and jim crow. We need to hear a lot more about the Malcolms, the Garveys, Imhoteps, the empires of Ghana etc.

oh, it is a touchy subject and i am sort of ambivalent. i think it was a good idea but i think it has outlived, or is at least beginning to outlive, its usefulness.

i think we have to include all americans equally in the teaching of american history and acknowledge the leaders and shakers no materr their political bent or method. we have, i think, gotten to the point where we can begin to teach history, the history of the united states to include perspectives of right or wrong and be inclusive and not seperate the great people according to their ethnicity while at the same time acknowledging the different ethnicities.

black people have suffered horrible discrimination beginning with slavery from the earliest days right up to the present where they are afflicted by poverty more than the white people. we should include economics into the mix of history because that is a far greater problem than race.

i don't know...i remember at break once DJ starts in about the "white devil" and such and i am there and all the black catz are listening and all, i am the white paddy who is out there too with all the same sweat and dirt on me, and he gets to frothing away about white folk's money and how they rob black folk and i just laugh cuz i thought it was funny and say "hey DJ, i wasn't exactly born with a silver spoon in my gob." well, DJ was an old friend so he laughs and comes over and gives me a hug and laughs and sez "sorry, i forgot you were here" and then the horn rang or the bell buzzed or whatever it was happened that we had been trained to head back in to sweat and cake our tired bodies with another layer of dirt for another three hours but it seemed like we figured out the good guys and bad guys.

i just think maybe we should look at history from a different angle in such away that unites us in a common experience instead of seperates us on our differences, which plays us right into a lot of the "bad" peoples hands...and i've seen it.

Last edited:
I'm proud I share a genetic likeness with those people. If you want to be proud you have two hands then thats your prerogative. It wouldn't bother me at all. It makes sense to me. Does that make sense to you?
Then the KKK isn't racist.

The KKK will tell you themselves they are racist, they pride themselves on it. You are the dumbest motherfucker on this site hands down.

All I can say is......:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Public Enemy and Slayer (Angel of Death)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AYMiAdqhQ]Public Eneny -It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - She Watch Channel Zero ! - YouTube[/ame]

Public Enemy and the JB's (Blow your head)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIqtApWRtEM]Public Enemy No. 1 - Public Enemy - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJuPGIH33z8]Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s - Blow Your Head (Slayd5000) - YouTube[/ame]

Isley Brothers/Gwen Stefani/Biggie Smalls

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhdcJ7K3XM]Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blKE012Ycco]Luxurious- Gwen Stefani (WITH LYRICS) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaJXp_zMYM]The Notorious B.I.G. - "Big Poppa" - YouTube[/ame]

We just got through watching a documentary on Billie Holiday early, wow. Very sad ending at an early age, the victim of initial poverty and addiction, but what a voice that could sing in "context". My Dad was a Billie Holiday fan, so I heard her often and he would explain the meaning of some of the songs. I forgot some of them, but my wife pointed out the meaning of this song that I think was written by a Russian Jew. At one time there was a connection there, and in some respects there still is.

I never heard such a combination of beautiful. gruesome, haunting, and true.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI]Billie Holiday-Strange fruit- HD - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back