I'm thinking of going over to the Episcopalians...

I suppose the misunderstanding non-Catholics have is they don't understand the nature of what the Catholic Church is.

It's very much a "take-it-or-leave-it" religion. There is no negotiating with a priest to allow you to take the Eucharist when you're divorced and remarried. An individual priest might agree to look the other way, but you would know he's doing it without approval from the bishop and the Pope.

Why don't you just get an annulment? Simple enough. You don't have to wait until you are ready to propose or get married.

I just got off the phone with the rector and now I feel worse.

His best answer for the teaching of Jesus on divorce and remarriage is that this teaching was not for everyone at all times forever.

Seems like a cop-out. He should be honest and just say the Episcopalians believe the Bible isn't really the Word of God and you can ignore what it says when it is inconvenient to you.

I just hid my Episcopalian materials so my family doesn't see them. There is literally no one I can talk to about this.

It feels illegitimate, this setting up alternative churches that break the rules that Catholics don't want to follow anymore. Kind of like going to a street corner and buying drugs, only its a priest not a drug dealer and it's religion, not drugs.

Being Catholic is a big part of my identity. I don't think I can go to another Church and forget Catholicism. It would be like cutting off my right arm.

Being Catholic is a big part of my identity. I don't think I can go to another Church and forget Catholicism. It would be like cutting off my right arm.

Why not just break down and get an annulment? I understand the costs and process has been reduced and streamlined.

I've always lived deep in the Catholic world. My entire family is Catholic. Most of my friends have been Catholic. Even most of the people I know who don't go to church would be Catholic if they did. I went to a Catholic high school. I went to a Catholic law school.

On the other hand, I've had very limited experience with Protestants, and I don't think I've met even one Episcopalian.

How does a man, at the age of 54, turn away from the entire world of Catholics and join some minor off-shoot Church founded by a king who wanted to divorce his wife and the Pope wouldn't let him?

Also the priest I talked to was way too slick. He's like a used car salesman who lures Catholics away from the Catholic Church.

If I could turn my brain off I could run off and join the Episcopalians.

But I can't turn my brain off. I'm a lawyer and my brain is what I use to survive in life. I can't use it Monday through Friday and then turn it off on Sunday.

Why not just break down and get an annulment? I understand the costs and process has been reduced and streamlined.
I don't want an annulment because I still love my ex-wife and don't want the Church declaring our marriage to be null and void from the beginning.

Also the priest I talked to was way too slick. He's like a used car salesman who lures Catholics away from the Catholic Church.

Really, you think so?

I didn't meet the guy, you did. But the Episcopalian religion has been losing members for a long time, and certainly would like to reverse the trend. What makes you think they target specifically Catholics for recruitment?

Really, you think so?

I didn't meet the guy, you did. But the Episcopalian religion has been losing members for a long time, and certainly would like to reverse the trend. What makes you think they target specifically Catholics for recruitment?
The Episcopalian Dictionary they gave me is full of Catholic imagery to assure Catholics that a change to their Church wouldn't be so far to go.

He said he personally believed in transubstantiation but has no problem with it if many laymen in his parish don't.

In contrast, our Catholic priest two Sundays ago told us many Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation and he was seriously pissed off about it.

So that's the difference between a Church that doesn't give a damn what you believe so long as you show up, and a Church that damn well wants you to believe, or else.

I can't go over to the Episcopalians or any other Protestant church and remain true to myself.

I will have to not marry.

The Episcopalian Dictionary they gave me is full of Catholic imagery to assure Catholics that a change to their Church wouldn't be so far to go.

If you really aren't just yanking our chain, consider taking a trip to a rural Anglican parist in England and having a talk with the vicar (who might be either male or female; married or unmarried) and get the real information. I agree that there is much about the American version (Episcopal) of which to be suspicious.

There are a few parishes in America, specifically New England, which are closer to the basics - where they consider the pastor to be their "minister" rather than a priest. (Low church vs. high church).

I can't go over to the Episcopalians or any other Protestant church and remain true to myself.

Yes. Any priest will happily forgive living together unmarried but condemn you for marrying and legitimizing any children that might be born - and providing your spouse with the legal protections that come with marriage. In some parishes it mighk even be OK if you DO remarry - to another male.

Yes. Any priest will happily forgive living together unmarried but condemn you for marrying and legitimizing any children that might be born - and providing your spouse with the legal protections that come with marriage. In some parishes it mighk even be OK if you DO remarry - to another male.
Nope, if I don't marry I'm not supposed to have sex either.

Forum List

Back