I'm thinking of going over to the Episcopalians...

The one consolation, I guess, is knowing that the Episcopalian Eucharist is only symbolic, so I won't be breaking St. Paul's teaching if I accept it.
You wouldn’t be. They are wrong to deny the Eucharist to anyone who seeks to devour God.
The Catholic Church denies the Eucharist to anyone who isn't a Catholic in a state of grace. Most people can't receive it.
Also in error.

The one consolation, I guess, is knowing that the Episcopalian Eucharist is only symbolic, so I won't be breaking St. Paul's teaching if I accept it.
You wouldn’t be. They are wrong to deny the Eucharist to anyone who seeks to devour God.
The Catholic Church denies the Eucharist to anyone who isn't a Catholic in a state of grace. Most people can't receive it.
Did you know that anyone can baptize?

I'm looking at the Episcopalian Dictionary and everything looks just like Catholicism, with a few changes.

Also, the rector was very welcoming.

Also in error.
There's no point in this debate, I believe the Church has a right to decide who is eligible to receive the Sacraments, and who isn't.

The topic of this thread is my decision to go to an Episcopalian Mass and meet the rector.

It looks like the entire Episcopalian Church was set up for people like me, people who want to be Catholic but can't.

Also in error.
There's no point in this debate, I believe the Church has a right to decide who is eligible to receive the Sacraments, and who isn't.

The topic of this thread is my decision to go to an Episcopalian Mass and meet the rector.
If course they do. I am arguing they are wrong to do it.

Render to Caesar and all that Jazz.

They have deacons, priests and bishops, but they don't have a Pope.

Also in error.

I am "rendering" to the Catholic Church.

I will not stay in the Church and break their rules.

It is more honorable to leave and go somewhere else where I am welcome.

I'm looking forward to the coffee social. In the Catholic Church, it's difficult to meet people because they don't have socials after Mass.

Also in error.

In the context of the letter of the law and the spirit of the law they are Caesar if they deny you the Eucharist.

Also in error.

In the context of the letter of the law and the spirit of the law they are Caesar if they deny you the Eucharist.
Caesar represents the temporal authority. Jesus was teaching that a Christian obeys the law and pays his taxes.

I'm looking forward to the coffee social. In the Catholic Church, it's difficult to meet people because they don't have socials after Mass.
I think you are missing that you aren’t quitting the Church, you are quitting the Eucharist which is the Church.

Recognize what you are quitting. It seems to me that you never understood what it was you were joining when you participated in the Eucharist.

Also in error.

Caesar represents the temporal authority. Jesus was teaching that a Christian obeys the law and pays his taxes.
You are proving my point. The Church would wrongly deny you the Eucharist and you follow their bad decision.

The Church isn’t God.

I think you are missing that you aren’t quitting the Church, you are quitting the Eucharist which is the Church.

Recognize what you are quitting. It seems to me that you never understood what it was you were joining when you participated in the Eucharist.
I understand exactly what the Eucharist is. It is the True Presence of Jesus Christ's Body and Blood. If I didn't understand it, I would think "it's no big deal" to take it when the Catholic Church forbids it.

You are proving my point. The Church would wrongly deny you the Eucharist and you follow their bad decision.

The Church isn’t God.
Don't bother telling me the Catholic Church isn't God. It is God's voice on this Earth, with the power to bind and unbind. The Catholic Church has determined that divorced and remarried Catholics are barred from receiving the Eucharist. As a devout Catholic I must obey that decision.

If you're young or have young children.....far safer to go with the Episcopalians. They don't force celibacy on the clergy so the hormones get vented in places God and Nature deemed appropriate.

People are making the wrong arguments, trying to convince me that the Catholic Church doesn't have the authority to deny people the Sacraments because the Bible doesn't mean what it says. If I believed that, I wouldn't attend Mass at all in any Church.

I understand exactly what the Eucharist is. It is the True Presence of Jesus Christ's Body and Blood. If I didn't understand it, I would think "it's no big deal" to take it when the Catholic Church forbids it.
It’s the reason you go to mass. You aren’t quitting the Church. You are quitting the reason you go to Church.

As a Catholic, if I remarry, I cannot remarry in the Catholic Church, and after I remarry I will be in a state of mortal sin and ineligible to receive the Sacrament of Eucharist.

It's the "you know" clause that gets you. If you didn't know about what Jesus taught in Matthew that God hates divorce and what happens, and then became Catholic, re-married in your new church, then it would be fine. Nobody is going to kick you out because of it. You not knowing makes it okay. Ignorance of the law is not breaking the law. Thus, this issue becomes a Catch-22. If murderers can be forgiven, then divorce and re-marriage should be forgiven. In other words, what becomes important is that you understand what marriage under your religion is. One should understand what Jesus meant in God hates divorce. If one asks for forgiveness, i.e. they vow to change their ways, and God grants it, then they should be free to marry again. That said, not all churches will look at it the way I explained. You did the right thing in looking for a church that will marry you.

People are making the wrong arguments, trying to convince me that the Catholic Church doesn't have the authority to deny people the Sacraments because the Bible doesn't mean what it says. If I believed that, I wouldn't attend Mass at all in any Church.
I’m not trying to convince you of anything. Your decisions don’t affect me one way or another. I am offering a different perspective.

Forum List

Back