I'm Seriously Considering Getting a Mac...

I REALLY can't wait to get back on this board regularly for some spirited debates... For almost a month, I've been literally consumed with computer problems -- viruses, a computer dying, and two replacements that have been unsuccessful. I've been a die-hard Dell fan for over 15 years, but after a month of contacting them on almost a daily basis and getting two computers that failed to connect consistently to the internet, I think I've given up on them. The general quality of their technicians and customer care providers have gone down dramatically and because they have so many customers, I'm just another face in the crowd and they don't care that I've been a loyal customer for this many years.

In a nutshell, the two replacement Dell desktops were getting intermittant internet connection and I know that the problem is NOT with the internet service provider (Optimum Online -- cable), modem, nor the router. The reason I know this is that I have I have other computers that connected fine without interruption during this whole time.

To the Mac Users: Do any of you have PC's? and how easily are you able to use files between the Mac and PC? For example if I use a Microsoft Excel document or Microsoft Word document, can I edit back and forth between the Mac and PC?

What is their tech service like? Are they available for online, phone, and in-store support?

We rely heavily on the computers for our homeschooling and I can't afford to spend more time troubleshooting and sending back more duds. Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you may have.

I vote for Mac. My wife has a Mac at home and I have a PC plus laptop from my office. I am not a geek so don't know the technical reason but Mac's are just much more easy to use plus they seldom have any problems. My wife replaces her Mac because she wants new technology and I replace my PC's because the technology fails...but I guess you already knew that.

if you open your dell you'll find MAYBE three expansion slots and probably nothing else. Dells achieve lower prices by throwing as much junk on the motherboard as possible. I'm betting that any problems the OP had with net connection could have been fixed with a 20 dollar nic card instead of pretending macs are some kind of computing panacea.

the masses of disillusioned ubuntu users who, ironically, discover that it's not error free understand my reaction to a goddamn clone like Koder.

Of course it's not error free. But it's good to use. I'm running Karmic which is in beta and near-release candidate condition and the only problem I have had is Compiz, my video card (not top line, just average) and MPlayer don't like each other. But that's easily fixed. Don't put people off Ubuntu by making out it's error-ridden, if it was I for one wouldn't recommend it.

I REALLY can't wait to get back on this board regularly for some spirited debates... For almost a month, I've been literally consumed with computer problems -- viruses, a computer dying, and two replacements that have been unsuccessful. I've been a die-hard Dell fan for over 15 years, but after a month of contacting them on almost a daily basis and getting two computers that failed to connect consistently to the internet, I think I've given up on them. The general quality of their technicians and customer care providers have gone down dramatically and because they have so many customers, I'm just another face in the crowd and they don't care that I've been a loyal customer for this many years.

In a nutshell, the two replacement Dell desktops were getting intermittant internet connection and I know that the problem is NOT with the internet service provider (Optimum Online -- cable), modem, nor the router. The reason I know this is that I have I have other computers that connected fine without interruption during this whole time.

To the Mac Users: Do any of you have PC's? and how easily are you able to use files between the Mac and PC? For example if I use a Microsoft Excel document or Microsoft Word document, can I edit back and forth between the Mac and PC?

What is their tech service like? Are they available for online, phone, and in-store support?

We rely heavily on the computers for our homeschooling and I can't afford to spend more time troubleshooting and sending back more duds. Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you may have.

You can get office for mac, and all your files will transfer. I don't like the office software apple puts out (probably because I wasn't used to it) and converted to office for mac. The rest? I don't have to buy "protection" because Mac doesn't need it, and haven't had to call tech support in the last year. Apple does have support, and classes in the store nearest you. Macs are superior machines, I would never go back to a pc.

PC,

If you decide not to go with a Mac I will tell you from my experience that Alienware has awesome tech support, and if you bought one of their great machines I would suggest buy the extended warranty for the tech issue alone. I had my machine for 6 months, and my DVD rom wasn't being recognized. (it didn't show up on pc) I called the tech (24/7 live americans) and they took control of my PC to double check what I had done and they agreed with me that it was a bad IDE cable. They sent me 4 in the mail the next day!!!!!!!! with instructions on how to install it. (I didn't need to know that)

Best tech support ever in my opinion. If you buy that extended Tech support they will actually send someone out to your house if they cannot fix it with you while on the phone.

Alienware are more pricey then your Dell's but there is a reason and that is because they stand by their components and name.

I heard Dell bought out Alienware, so I would expect their quality and customer service to go downhill.

if you open your dell you'll find MAYBE three expansion slots and probably nothing else. Dells achieve lower prices by throwing as much junk on the motherboard as possible. I'm betting that any problems the OP had with net connection could have been fixed with a 20 dollar nic card instead of pretending macs are some kind of computing panacea.

the masses of disillusioned ubuntu users who, ironically, discover that it's not error free understand my reaction to a goddamn clone like Koder.

Of course it's not error free. But it's good to use. I'm running Karmic which is in beta and near-release candidate condition and the only problem I have had is Compiz, my video card (not top line, just average) and MPlayer don't like each other. But that's easily fixed. Don't put people off Ubuntu by making out it's error-ridden, if it was I for one wouldn't recommend it.

wysiwyg. You get what you pay for. Ubuntu is like the continued failures while trying to finally achieve the Colonels fried chicken recipe. The ONLY reason i'd use ubuntu is if my copies of windows OSs were stolen. and then, only until I bought another copy of windows. Go tell all those wifi stalled motherfuckers across the numerous ubuntu help forums all about about what is easily fixed. Ubuntu truly is the cum catcher tattoo and tongue stud of operating systems. circumstantially trendy but quickly embarrassing.

I have more computers than I have brains! Simply too many computer toys. At the present time I have a HP Touchscreen desktop computer and I have a total of 5 different PC laptop computers. Several months ago I purchased a 17 inch Mac Powerbook Pro. When I purchased it I also purchased Aperature and iWork. I love the Mac. It seems I can do things much easier on the Mac. I would like to have a nice Mac desktop and I will get one when this one is no longer to my liking. I have a lot of money tied up in a PC and multiple PC laptops that I wish I had invested in the Mac. When it is the appropriate time I will switch over to all Mac computers.

Damn BBD, you're like me. I have 3 working desktops with 1 more under construction. Four others for parts and three working laptops. The ones my wife uses is an HP media center struggling along on Vista and an older Thinkpad running XP. My other 3 have dual boot XP / Ubuntu on one desktop and the laptop and Ubuntu only on the other desktop. I've finally decided the new one will get Ubuntu, I find I use it much more frequently now and with the new version of Ubuntu, the Linux distro is becoming user friendlier with every release. For me it's simpler, easier to use and much faster then the windows versions, but like I said that's just me.
Choice of OS is simple, use what you like, change if you want, they all have their positives and negatives for each individual.

wysiwyg. You get what you pay for. Ubuntu is like the continued failures while trying to finally achieve the Colonels fried chicken recipe. The ONLY reason i'd use ubuntu is if my copies of windows OSs were stolen. and then, only until I bought another copy of windows. Go tell all those wifi stalled motherfuckers across the numerous ubuntu help forums all about about what is easily fixed. Ubuntu truly is the cum catcher tattoo and tongue stud of operating systems. circumstantially trendy but quickly embarrassing.

Yes there are numerous help forums so most problems can be fixed quickly. I haven't got wireless so I can't comment on those issues but I will acknowledge them. As far as Ubuntu being fashionable, I think that's your reference, it will probably suffer the fate of popular things in the geekosphere, it becomes widely available to us non-tech type people and attracts the derision of the geeks. I'm just glad it works, fashion isn't on my mind. The good thing for me about Ubuntu (and Linux generally) is that it doesn't require that bloody activation bullshit that Microsoft forces on people. It was that corporate terrorism that saw me try out Linux because I couldn't re-install XP Pro because I'd re-installed it too many times. Well fuck that, it was a licensed copy and Microsoft was telling me I couldn't use it again. So I missed the Vista debacle.

I used to love MACs. I've still got MACs gathering dust in my basement. Four of them, I think.

I sold thousands of them to schools here in Maine back in the last century.

But AFAIC they're too expensive for what one gets for them.

I used to love MACs. I've still got MACs gathering dust in my basement. Four of them, I think.

A Honda Accord is more expensive than a Kia, drive one of those.:lol::lol::lol:

I can see why you wouldn't want to spend extra money for a reliable machine and OS, you can post the garbage you do, with the cheapest pile of shit from Korea. Those of us with deadlines feel a need for a machine we can count on........... the MAC is it. When I work on mine I never need to think about anything but the work, the machine is in the background starting up quick and running without a hiccup.

Windows 7, what a joke, what will that compare to, OS 10.2............ Snow Leopard is 10.6.:lol::lol::lol:

A Honda Accord is more expensive than a Kia, drive one of those.:lol::lol::lol:

I can see why you wouldn't want to spend extra money for a reliable machine and OS, you can post the garbage you do, with the cheapest pile of shit from Korea. Those of us with deadlines feel a need for a machine we can count on........... the MAC is it. When I work on mine I never need to think about anything but the work, the machine is in the background starting up quick and running without a hiccup.

Windows 7, what a joke, what will that compare to, OS 10.2............ Snow Leopard is 10.6.:lol::lol::lol:

feel free to ask the minuscule market of users who will choose snow leopard over win7.

:eusa_shhh:

As shitty as Vista has been, I ain't holding my breath on Windoze 7.

My old laptop that just crapped out after an IE8 update will get Ubuntu, as soon as the latest version becomes available.

I'll make do with another machine with XP in the meantime.

I hope you're not getting that data loss bug with Snow Leopard.

One of the things that I like about Apple is the support. Before you even know there is a problem, Apple sends a notice with an update that takes care of security and any other problems that have been discovered. Within a day of installing 10.6, I received an update from Apple...... 10.6.1. I also received updates for my Epson printer and the latest iTunes.

My old laptop that just crapped out after an IE8 update will get Ubuntu, as soon as the latest version becomes available.

get used to saying that.

get used to saying that.

What, making do with XP or that windows products are unnecessarily code bloated and have a tendency to crash?

Forum List

Back