I'm Seriously Considering Getting a Mac...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PoliticalChic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,971
    I REALLY can't wait to get back on this board regularly for some spirited debates... For almost a month, I've been literally consumed with computer problems -- viruses, a computer dying, and two replacements that have been unsuccessful. I've been a die-hard Dell fan for over 15 years, but after a month of contacting them on almost a daily basis and getting two computers that failed to connect consistently to the internet, I think I've given up on them. The general quality of their technicians and customer care providers have gone down dramatically and because they have so many customers, I'm just another face in the crowd and they don't care that I've been a loyal customer for this many years.

In a nutshell, the two replacement Dell desktops were getting intermittant internet connection and I know that the problem is NOT with the internet service provider (Optimum Online -- cable), modem, nor the router. The reason I know this is that I have I have other computers that connected fine without interruption during this whole time.

To the Mac Users: Do any of you have PC's? and how easily are you able to use files between the Mac and PC? For example if I use a Microsoft Excel document or Microsoft Word document, can I edit back and forth between the Mac and PC?

What is their tech service like? Are they available for online, phone, and in-store support?

We rely heavily on the computers for our homeschooling and I can't afford to spend more time troubleshooting and sending back more duds. Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you may have.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
  3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    install ubuntu and look forward to quick, painless wifi compatibility!

:rofl:

Dells suck. They really do. Their pc prices are a direct reflection of numerous cut corners on the hardware end. I'm kinda curious to what you mean, specifically, by "computers dying"... and, to be honest, network connection issues happen regardless. Perhaps you just need to install a nic card instead of using the onboard pos that I'm betting your dell currently uses.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Do you ever have any real advice to offer or just ignorant rants about things you know nothing?

5. Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs lol politics

Thanks Received:
    In front of my 12-core 2.93 GHz Mac Pro with 64 GB
    Ratings:
    +11
    In nearly all cases, yes. Microsoft Office is available for the Mac, so an Office document made on a Mac is going to look exactly the same on a PC, and vice-versa.

Yes, and they speak English. 'Nuff said. :eusa_angel:

Always get the most RAM, fastest processor and best graphics card you can afford (this really applies to all computers, not just Macs.) Also I'd recommend an external FireWire 800 hard drive for Time Machine backups. (These are labeled "for Mac" or "Mac edition" as they have FireWire 800 and come preformatted HFS+, the Mac file system.) Macs have read-only support for NTFS, the default Windows file system, so if you have an external hard drive that you used with a PC, you can copy your files from it to the Mac.

All I can think of for now. :cool:

6. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Run Linux on your PC instead of windows :)

I just replaced my dell that I bought in 1999 last night with a new dell.

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    We have Dell and don't have any problems. We run Firefox rather than IE to access the internet and find it runs faster and better. I know nothing about MACs except that they are expensive and there is a learning curve going from Microsoft to MAC.

8. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Yup firefox is good, i use internet exploder though.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    hey bitch, Dells are notorious for cutting hardware corners. You'd know that if you had anything more to add besides screaming ubuntu like a fucking doomsayer with a sandwich board convinced that the end is nigh. Id have advised to get an actual nic card instead of the pos onboard option that come on dells as a standard. But, since you clearly want to shill some gay fucking wannabe OS at people despite the cavalcade of fucking connection issues ubuntu ITSELF has I guess, again, you are going to have to forgive me for not taking your silly ass seriously on another computing thread.

10. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Why so harsh...oh wait its shogun :)

On a serious note my dell is STILL GOOD and its 10 years old. I just figured it was time to get a PC with more than one processor and processors that are faster than 1.2 ghz.

Maybe other people have had problems but my 2 year old dell laptop and my 10 year old dell computer haven't failed me.

Now ACER on the other hand....yuck.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1