Just got locked out of my email account.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Microsoft Outlook's security algorithm has locked me out of my email account, that I've had for years. It told me that the password that I've had for years was invalid and didn't allow me to recall it or to change it. It asked me security questions that I can only answer if I have access to my email. I've had trouble in the past with Outlook and should have dumped it sooner. It lost all my files, archives, and addresses, out of a clear blue sky. I engaged Geek Squad to help but they couldn't do anything either. AI is going to cause lots of such trouble I'm afraid. Algorithms have replaced humans so there is little help for us once glitches such as mine happen.

Microsoft Outlook's security algorithm has locked me out of my email account, that I've had for years. It told me that the password that I've had for years was invalid and didn't allow me to recall it or to change it. It asked me security questions that I can only answer if I have access to my email. I've had trouble in the past with Outlook and should have dumped it sooner. It lost all my files, archives, and addresses, out of a clear blue sky. I engaged Geek Squad to help but they couldn't do anything either. AI is going to cause lots of such trouble I'm afraid. Algorithms have replaced humans so there is little help for us once glitches such as mine happen.

I sympathize with your problem, but this is why I highly recommend people use Password Management software.

I recommend 1Password, it allows you to access your information from anywhere (PC, Phone, Tablet, or via the web). You can store all kinds of information about Logins, Accounts, Credit Cards, etc. My login entries have User ID, Password, and I use the notes section for security answer/responses.

There is a browser plugin to easily login to a site/account or you can just copy/paste, this makes it VERY easy to use large complex passwords that are more secure that you never have to type.

Best of luck with your issue.

WW

My issue now is how to delete the Outlook email account without being able to access it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My issue now is how to delete the Outlook email account without being able to access it. Any suggestions would be helpful.
?
You can't do that.
Your email account lives on cloud servers. Only someone with access to those servers could "delete" an account.
Or do you mean that your Microsoft credentials point to that email, and you can't change that?

Well... good luck with that to. Only Microsoft can change that, and for obvious reasons, regular support "drones" don't have access to do that. It would have to be elevated to higher support staff, and you are very unlikely to make that happen with a non business account.

Oh - and BTW - if you are POSITIVE that is the right password, not just what you thought it was, or wrote down somewhere, but absolutely POSITIVE it is correct... then your email was hacked, and the hacker changed the password.
Which also means they have access to everything in your email, where you bank etc.
And if you use the same password for other things - CHANGE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Email security from a former network security guy...
This seems like a lot, but it really isn't.

1) Have an "internet" email account.
This account is what you use for Amazon, here etc. Basically if it is whatever on the internet use this email.
You don't use it for anything else.

2) Work email. DO NOT USE WORK EMAIL AS YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL.
If this email is hacked, then none of your personal info is compromised. It is your employers problem, not yours.

3) Personal email. Do not use this email for banks and other professional connections. This is personal email only.

4) Secured email. This email is ONLY used for banking, and other professional connections. (Such as doctor offices etc.) You pretty much never send emails with this account.

All 4 should not have the same password

Oh - and BTW - if you are POSITIVE that is the right password, not just what you thought it was, or wrote down somewhere, but absolutely POSITIVE it is correct... then your email was hacked, and the hacker changed the password.
Which also means they have access to everything in your email, where you bank etc.
And if you use the same password for other things - CHANGE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I changed my email and notified all my important accounts of the change.

Forum List

Back