I'm retired in 23 days - Strange feeling

TheDude

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2016
U.S.A. gone wild
I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.

I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.

Find a bus charter company and work part time, do tours or whatever, it's a nice change of pace.

Boy did I fuck up...

Oh well I love to work.

Find a bus charter company and work part time, do tours or whatever, it's a nice change of pace.

I might just do that. Few things I'll do at my parents place come Jan. (garage), and Feb. weather providing. Someone "tried" to install a retaining wall.

Where were you employed at 10?

I might just do that. Few things I'll do at my parents place come Jan. (garage), and Feb. weather providing. Someone "tried" to install a retaining wall.
Concrete, stone or brick wall?

Congrats! I like my current job and plan to work until 65, but I don't plan to stop working when I retire. I have plans to work as a welder and part-time fisherman/sailor.

Sweat house. LOL, but seriously, in those days kids ran paper routes. The majority of mine were morning routes. I remember being scared shit-less riding past the graveyard on dark winter mornings, pretty much nobody else awake. Jump into the bathtub, frozen, get ready for school and maybe turn on the TV. In those days early morning TV was awesome. Only thing I recall is a signal, perhaps some evangelist. I always earned cash, mow lawns, whatever. Really I started earning cash doing routes for the big guy, mowing lawns etc. when I was 8. Nothing like mowing 6" of lawn with a pair of trimmers and manual lawn mower with dull blades, but seven bucks is seven bucks.

My first full time job was at 14. Washing dishes, one grave, two swing and two days. I really dug the free meals, hot waitresses, and all the hot chocolate I could drink. I washed dishes SUPER FAST.....The waitresses really "dug" the wet floor.

Last edited:

Sweat house. LOL, but seriously, in those days kids ran paper routes. The majority of mine were morning routes. I remember being scared shit-less riding past the graveyard on dark winter mornings, pretty much nobody else awake. I always earned cash, mow lawns, whatever. Jump into the bathtub, frozen, get ready for school and maybe turn on the TV. In those days the TV was awesome. Only thing I recall is a signal, perhaps some evangelist.

My first full time job was at 14. Washing dishes, one grave, two swing and two days. I really dug the free meals, hot waitresses, and all the hot chocolate I could drink. I washed dishes SUPER FAST.....The waitresses really "dug" the wet floor.
I didn't last long getting up at 2am to throw papers..At 14 I stood in a room and made premade pizza crust for 12 hours a day on weekends..

Congrats but don't rest too much on your laurels!

Baby boomers 'should work for longer to stay healthy'

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

I'd get an RV and spend several months driving all over the U.S. and Canada, visiting every state and province.

I shoveled driveways and delivered papers riding around on my banana bike when I was about 11 or 12. At 16 I worked construction which convinced me college might be a good idea. The best job I had as a teenager was working at a golf course. Free golf and range balls, Heck yeah! Then I was a bagger in a grocery store with mostly older Black men which was quite the experience :) During college I worked as a math tutor for play money.

Good plan, get busy doing shit for you.

New Topics

Forum List

Back