I'm retired in 23 days - Strange feeling

The number one thing that helped us is eliminating debt including mortgages if possible. If you have no debt, then that makes it way easier to cover your bills and have money left over for fun stuff.
My condo is already paid off. Still, add up all the bills. I’m going to say at least $500 a month. Let’s say $1000 a month. Cable, internet, association dues, insurances, taxes, registrations, electric, water, etc. $12k a year. Living, double that. So $25k a year. $100,000 every 4 years. As young as I am, with no social security or Medicare? Forget about it. Even with no mortgage it’s expensive to live.

I have the boats I need. Pontoon and flat bottom.

I have all the hunting equipment.

I have an ebike.

I have a lot of the toys but I need an rv. Doesn’t have to be huge. Or a place in Florida. One or the other. I’m leaning towards rv. I can take the rv to Florida and other places too.

Seinfeld used to joke that it was the law that retirees had to move to Florida. You are independent now so it's time to consider your taxes and mortgage payments and shoveling snow and high heating prices and consider a move. What's the best choice? You know it already.

I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.
I am envious. I ll be working til I am in my 70s for sure

I am envious. I ll be working til I am in my 70s for sure
I share your envy and acceptance of the fact that if I get to live to be 70 I'll probably have to show up somewhere I'd rather not be outside my cave at a time I'd rather be stuffing bullets into brass, unhooking fish, insulting leftist parasites on a political forum or melting non-ferrous metals to farm alloys and mold them into tools and decorative shit.

Now if I could find a way to make a serious profit doing any of those things, and some people do BTW, I'd be "retired" now.

I have some optimism though, that I might be able to turn some of my hobbies into a productive income.

My favorite would be insulting bed wetting leftist pieces of shit and getting paid for it though, because NOTHING pays more than being funny. Look at all the assholes who really aren't that funny making millions when most people think they're assholes like Colbert.

I share your envy and acceptance of the fact that if I get to live to be 70 I'll probably have to show up somewhere I'd rather not be outside my cave at a time I'd rather be stuffing bullets into brass, unhooking fish, insulting leftist parasites on a political forum or melting non-ferrous metals to farm alloys and mold them into tools and decorative shit.

Now if I could find a way to make a serious profit doing any of those things, and some people do BTW, I'd be "retired" now.

I have some optimism though, that I might be able to turn some of my hobbies into a productive income.

My favorite would be insulting bed wetting leftist pieces of shit and getting paid for it though, because NOTHING pays more than being funny. Look at all the assholes who really aren't that funny making millions when most people think they're assholes like Colbert.

That’s a shame.

That's kind of the tricky part ... And commitment is key.

You have to "buy in" to your idea, and no more dreaming, because building something that will sustain you isn't easy.
Some people may make it look easy, but it's not.

Once you are ready, invest in what it would take to get you on the field ...
And by that, I mean whatever raw materials you need, even if what you need is knowledge.

Then own it, build it, make it your life.
Network, visit trade shows, meet and greet ... Become part of the scene, what is available to purchase.
It doesn't matter if it is a service or a product.

Then comes the grind, that final push where you are "all-in".
Max your resources, burn the midnight oil, damn near work yourself to death and drive your family nuts.
Push that bitch over the top with blood, sweat and tears ... Until you simply cannot do more.

Then hire three people, an accountant and a lawyer ...
If you didn't screw up and go broke getting there ... :thup:

That's kind of the tricky part ... And commitment is key.​
[SNIP]
Then hire three people, an accountant and a lawyer ...
If you didn't screw up and go broke getting there ... :thup:

Good point, but 140 years ago you didn't HAVE TO HIRE THESE ASSHOLES, you employed them at convenience so that some university educated parasites couldn't fuck with you. Take Vanderbilt for instance. He built the most massive railroad enterprise in his day and got fucked by some counterfeiters who sold phony stock at numbers that would have FBI/ATF/DEA/EPA/NEA/IRS/CNN/MSLSD/FOX/CIA/DIA/NSA/ Agents and 2nd Tier military operators jumping out of helicopters to collect the taxes today.

Last edited:
Seinfeld used to joke that it was the law that retirees had to move to Florida. You are independent now so it's time to consider your taxes and mortgage payments and shoveling snow and high heating prices and consider a move. What's the best choice? You know it already.

Oh Hell No ... Stay where the heck you are people.

Everything below the Mason-Dixson line the most horrible place you could ever imagine.
Don't even think about visiting ... It's dangerous, the food sucks, and the people are terrible.

It's much more pleasant where you currently are and embrace what you have accomplished there.

(Damnit whitehall ... You know senior citizens like to vote, and we don't need any more Damn Yankees)

I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.

You should take some time off.........then find at least a part time job.....you may find that when you aren't dependent on the job, it is not as hard to work the job as it is when you really need it....and it will make the rest of your time better......it will give you something to do, and it will make your free time more enjoyable......

Find a bus charter company and work part time, do tours or whatever, it's a nice change of pace.

The problem with driving a bus...is driving a bus in traffic......you take on a big liability, especially if it is a job you don't need......but, it can be interesting..........any kind of job when you are retired is better than the job you had to do to survive, since you are doing it without the fear of losing the job and the problems that come with that...

Yeah, your post count told us that.
8FxEa.gif
200.gif
10596662.gif
apgiphy.gif

I'm 55 and been retired since 2012, it's boring...
Boredom sets into a boring mind. You're boring, your "mind" or whatever sphincters you have that serves as one is vacuous.

Imagine new ways to abort yourself that will not harm anyone else or leave a mess someone else has to clean up. Then fulfil that objective. It will be rewarding, literally your greatest "life's" work.

Forum List

Back