I'm getting a BOAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've owned several boats in my lifetime. They are great for fishing BUT it costs a lot of money to keep it in proper shape. Most people buy a boat and use it a lot the first year they have it. They use it a lot less the next year and then it becomes a very expensive lawn ornament. As has been said in several places in this thread, the happiest two days for a boat owner is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. When it comes time to sell your boat, you will most likely not sell it for what you paid for it.

No, I don't expect to. I understand all about money losing ventures, I have had horses all my life.

I have lots of family, including fishermen, who come to visit and who live nearby...and I have 4 sons ages 26-8. I expect we'll get some serious use out of this boat over the next couple of years...I have no idea how well it will hold up, who knows, maybe it will go ass up this summer and that will be the end. If it does, I'll get a row boat. I want a row boat or a canoe anyway...the lakes I want to explore are no wake or low wake anyway. But we also have a river, a bay, and lots of big lakes. I expect to put some miles on it, so long as it runs. I'm good about getting up and going. I'm not a mechanic, though...but my son is.

Yes, it's true. I have been on boats maybe a half dozen times in my life...2 were row boats, one was a canoe, one was one of those ferry tours in San Diego, one was a motorboat on a lake (and it died and had to be towed to the dock) and one was a motorboat on the Columbia.

And here is the boat (or a like image) I will be getting...I'll be on the lake on Saturday with the seller, who is going to take us for a spin, show us a few things, etc...

436575_0_20100502152701_1_0.jpg

Soooo excited! We're going to get serious fishies!

I'm happy for you. I have had two boats, one used and one new. I didn't have any problems with the new one. We cruised the 90 mile lake on which I lived, and hit many of the little pubs with live music, along the way..lol.

Have fun. :D

Oh crud, we don't have a BAY, lol. We have a HARBOR.

I'm such a pathetic skipper. Especially since I haven't even started skipping yet.

Seriously I did consider a sail boat...but I don't want to GUARANTEE the death of my entire family...I just wanted to be able to take them fishing...

Seriously I did consider a sail boat...but I don't want to GUARANTEE the death of my entire family...I just wanted to be able to take them fishing...
It does take a bit of skill to sail, but certainly most can learn the basics and get by on that.

Really, though...have fun.

I will!!!

First outing is this Saturday, with the seller....after that I'm on my own...

I will!!!

First outing is this Saturday, with the seller....after that I'm on my own...
I recommend taking a boating safety class from your local Coast Guard station (sometimes the Coast Guard Auxiliary schedule it). When you get boaters insurance, which you really, really should do, your premiums will be significantly less.

Also, although boating is a blast, it is also very dangerous for those who don't know what they are doing (like drunks).

Plus, you'll just feel more confident, and I think you will enjoy it. It's not all that expensive, either. Lots of drunks in motor boats, KG, so being sober in a motor boat is an exercise in defensive skippering at all times.

I'm lucky because in this area, the lakes are many and secluded...the traffic is not tremendous, especially on the lakes I want to frequent. The one I especially want to explore is a small but deep lake (72 feet) and it actually has a 5 mph limit...I'm going to get a row boat or canoe for it.

The big lake that attracts the most traffic...I've never heard of an accident on it, but I am sure they have happened. I will absolutely keep a sharp eye out for drunks but my plan is to mostly avoid during heavy usage times. We'll see how that works for me, lol...

Always use a fuel stabilizer. Ethanol can wreak havoc on fuel system parts, especially on an older boat.

Get a depth finder. Last thing you want to do is hit bottom.

Learn the "Rule of the Road" like "right, red, return".

Don't go out on the water without a VHF radio.

Last edited:
I do believe the engine itself is new. Rebuilt, anyway. Whatever that means.

That looks like it might be transom-related and I have not been properly educated by our public school system regarding transoms and trolling motors..chances are, I will have an unexpected baby boat at some time.

Been there so I will give you some hard-won advice. The best two days owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. It's indeed a huge hole in the water into which you pour money.
If it floats, rolls or flies rent it, don't buy it.:eusa_angel:

Seriously, enjoy.:clap2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back