I'm getting a BOAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread, koshergrl. Hope your boat brings you and your family a lot of pleasure.

I do hope everyone on board is wearing a safety jacket. One of my best pals in junior high school and her father died on a lake when the boat capsized. The motor got 'em when the boat went under. Every one of us was crying in class the next day.

After that, I could take them or leave them. My prayers for your family's safety on the water. I know boating is a lot of fun. Our family had one, and I have to admit, the skiing was totally a blast.

Yes, it's true. I have been on boats maybe a half dozen times in my life...2 were row boats, one was a canoe, one was one of those ferry tours in San Diego, one was a motorboat on a lake (and it died and had to be towed to the dock) and one was a motorboat on the Columbia.

And here is the boat (or a like image) I will be getting...I'll be on the lake on Saturday with the seller, who is going to take us for a spin, show us a few things, etc...

436575_0_20100502152701_1_0.jpg

Soooo excited! We're going to get serious fishies!

Congrats! We had a boat and used to set lobster traps, I miss it. I hope to eventually get a small sail boat and a jet ski. I love the water. :)

I haven't done an ever loving thing with it. My boys were supposed to move here this summer, it doesn't look like that's going to happen this summer...so it is an ornamental boat for the time being...it scares the crap out of me! I'm hoping the boys will come and we'll at least take it out ONCE before school starts NEXT year, lololol...if I get another adult to take it out with me the first time or two, I'll be okay, but for right now, I tippy toe around it...I don't want it to notice me...

I haven't done an ever loving thing with it. My boys were supposed to move here this summer, it doesn't look like that's going to happen this summer...so it is an ornamental boat for the time being...it scares the crap out of me! I'm hoping the boys will come and we'll at least take it out ONCE before school starts NEXT year, lololol...if I get another adult to take it out with me the first time or two, I'll be okay, but for right now, I tippy toe around it...I don't want it to notice me...

I hate to mention this, but that is typical... well, usually the boat gets wet once, maybe twice. After that, well... maybe next weekend.

Immie

I will eventually, but I've got to have adult support. I don't feel comfortable taking that monster out with just me and the kids. I want at least one other adult with me the first few times, till I get used to the mechanics of it.

I did horses by myself for years...I think of it like that...now horses, I'm okay with doing myself, cuz I've handled them and traveled with them all my life...

But not boats. I need to get a few hours in before I feel good about hooking it up and going with it on the weekends, and that can't happen till I have someone who can be an extra set of eyes (and help if I can't get the hitch off).

Yes, I like to blow a big wad of money on something I am afraid of.

I'm crazy that way!

I will conquer it, though, I promise! After all, I got comfortable riding my bike! Talk about terrifying! And painful!

I will eventually, but I've got to have adult support. I don't feel comfortable taking that monster out with just me and the kids. I want at least one other adult with me the first few times, till I get used to the mechanics of it.

I did horses by myself for years...I think of it like that...now horses, I'm okay with doing myself, cuz I've handled them and traveled with them all my life...

But not boats. I need to get a few hours in before I feel good about hooking it up and going with it on the weekends, and that can't happen till I have someone who can be an extra set of eyes (and help if I can't get the hitch off).

Good plan.

It's been a while since I have been on a boat. I'd want an adult with me as well on a new boat and with young kids, at all times.

Now horses? I've only been on one a few times. The most vivid memory I have of me and a horse is the dumb horse running me into brambles just to get back to the barn... I was told to make sure he (I think it was a he) knew who was boss.

He did know. He was the boss. :)

Immie

Lol..I've had horses and traveled with them all my life...not so much in recent years...my mom and I went primitive horse camping with them in the Sisters wilderness when my second boy was 5 months old, and his brother 19 months. The idea of hitching up a horse trailer and loading a couple on and heading for parts unknown...I can do it with kids and by myself, I feel comfortable enough (and have done it).

But the boat thing..I've never put the boat in the water, I've never driven the boat, I'm not familiar with boating stuff...and my kids can't be trusted to be where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there. I can handle that with horses but not with water.

Yes, it's true. I have been on boats maybe a half dozen times in my life...2 were row boats, one was a canoe, one was one of those ferry tours in San Diego, one was a motorboat on a lake (and it died and had to be towed to the dock) and one was a motorboat on the Columbia.

And here is the boat (or a like image) I will be getting...I'll be on the lake on Saturday with the seller, who is going to take us for a spin, show us a few things, etc...

436575_0_20100502152701_1_0.jpg

Soooo excited! We're going to get serious fishies!

We always had a boat when I was a kid (literally, my parents took me on the boat the first time when I was an infant)...I learned to water ski when I was 6.

The best moments of my childhood were spent with my family on the water. The second happiest moments were spent on my quarter horse (Tomcat).

I hope you have as much joy with it as we did.

Lol..I've had horses and traveled with them all my life...not so much in recent years...my mom and I went primitive horse camping with them in the Sisters wilderness when my second boy was 5 months old, and his brother 19 months. The idea of hitching up a horse trailer and loading a couple on and heading for parts unknown...I can do it with kids and by myself, I feel comfortable enough (and have done it).

But the boat thing..I've never put the boat in the water, I've never driven the boat, I'm not familiar with boating stuff...and my kids can't be trusted to be where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there. I can handle that with horses but not with water.

Don't be a wuss.

Just put it in the water and think of it as a big car that handles poorly and has no brakes.

Don't be a wuss.

Just put it in the water and think of it as a big car that handles poorly and has no brakes.

Please look up your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and take a boaters safety course.
It can save your life.

A boat is no different than a car or a motorcycle. Either on pavement, or on water. They can be used for practical and recreational reasons, like fishing for dinner, or fishing for women. They can be used for utilitarian reasons as a mode of transportation. They can also be used for the obvious visceral reason to find out 'how fast can this sucker go before it kills me?'

Last edited:

Don't be a wuss.

Please look up your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and take a boaters safety course.
It can save your life.

Yeah already on my faves.

A boat is no different than a car or a motorcycle. Either on pavement, or on water. They can be used for practical and recreational reasons, like fishing for dinner, or fishing for women. They can be used for utilitarian reasons as a mode of transportation. They can also be used for the obvious visceral reason to find out 'how fast can this sucker go before it kills me?'

Yes I don't think I'll be fishing for women...

My oldest is coming to pick it up next week. He'll keep it in good order and use it, and bring it back a couple of times before school starts next year to play with it here...and with him I can get comfortable with it.

Naw, he's a mechanic, he's got that part taken care of.

He got his license...I don't think he has taken it out yet, at least he hadn't as of last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back