If Roe Is Overturned, It Will Mark The First Time In The History Of The Constitution Civil Rights Were Taken Away, Not Expanded

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
"Overturning Roe v. Wade would be such a significant decision because it would be the first time in the history of the Constitution that precedent would be overturned to limit civil rights, not expand them," according to Neama Rahmani, the president of West Coast Trial Lawyers and a former federal prosecutor.

"Overturning Roe v. Wade would be such a significant decision because it would be the first time in the history of the Constitution that precedent would be overturned to limit civil rights, not expand them," according to Neama Rahmani, the president of West Coast Trial Lawyers and a former federal prosecutor.

How is having states figure it out themselves violating civil rights you chuck and duck fruitcake

It never was a right, that is irrefutable, it was an entirely manufactured right ludicrously predicated upon the right to privacy! If I had my way, and I may well get it in near future, you murder a baby we kill you in exactly the same fashion you murdered the innocent baby, whether that be with a coat hanger, or a powerful vacuum cleaner would be entirely up to you evil fucking animals... :eusa_boohoo:

It never was a right, that is irrefutable, it was an entirely manufactured right ludicrously predicated upon the right to privacy! If I had my way, and I may well get it in near future, you murder a baby we kill you in exactly the same fashion you murdered the innocent baby, whether that be with a coat hanger, or a powerful vacuum cleaner would be entirely up to you evil fucking animals... :eusa_boohoo:
No. Please lay off the dramatics. Infanticide OK. Death penalty BAD. What's the difference? Semantics and rhetoric?

That may be true. I'm not going to assume it is because the West Coast Trial Lawyers president says it.

I do agree that this overturning would be a limit on rights because it overturns a previous ruling that granted a right. Someone may say that this ruling will grant the right to live to the unborn, but merely overturning Roe v. Wade will not do that.

I'm not sure that is the only overturning of precedent that has ever limited a right previously granted. In fact, it isn't. Brown vs. Topeka limited the right to discriminate previously granted by Plessy v. Ferguson. The right to discriminate by race in public accommodations is not a civil right.

I'm not sure if unlimited abortion could be called a "civil right." What definition of "civil rights" do you and/or Rahmani use to reach that conclusion?

I live in deepest, darkest Alabama (can't you tell from my accent?) and I know literally NO ONE who would dedicate themselves to overturning marriage rights as they exist now. Even folks down here no longer bridle at all over interracial marriage. As for same-sex marriage, yeah, a LOT of Alabamians didn't agree but ultimately, that's about a decision taken between two adults and people down here tend to be protective of their rights. The pieces that are flourishing online about a call to arms and pushing dread of some backward lurch in rights are all just fearmongering clickbait.

Alito said it best. Women on both sides of this issue can mobilize to elect representatives that will vote for the rights they want to be enshrined in law. Liberals understand that their culture wars and in-your-face stances on many other issues have poisoned their ability to sway voters in the Red States. Being the "Give me EVERYTHING I want!" group that they are, they're having a meltdown and looking for some way to intimidate or otherwise compel 5 members of SCOTUS to get back in line. If that doesn't happen, look for them to go full ignorant savage, film at 11...

I'm not sure that is the only overturning of precedent that has ever limited a right previously granted. In fact, it isn't. Brown vs. Topeka limited the right to discriminate previously granted by Plessy v. Ferguson. The right to discriminate by race in public accommodations is not a civil right.
Exactly. When we hear pundits bemoaning the injuries to Stare Decisis, they never quite get around to explaining that precedent can be used to guide but it certainly does not take away the ability to change law in ways not previously considered. Those two examples are the perfect retort.

Roe vs Wade isn't in the constitution.

Your kind must have forgotten about stealing the unborn child's right to fucking exist. I agree with Ninja. A terrible reprisal could be brewing on the near horizon. A hundred million murdered babies to atone for.

Agree. The right to privacy is a manufactured construct that is necessary to justify this kind of overreach.

Forum List

Back