If I Were Catholic.....

First, if I were Catholic with all this sex abuse and cover up going on, I probably wouldn't remain a Catholic to be honest. But if I were convinced to my soul that Catholicism were the way to go (for whatever reason), I would not give one thin dime to the organization until it had convinced me it had cleaned up its act.

Not one thin dime, Catholics. Being an advocate for children of many years' duration, I urge you to STOP ALL GIVING until they have cleaned up this massive stench of corruption.
Since I am a Catholic...When this story broke in the early 1980s or so, we went to work. First, we discovered the instances of pedophilia among Catholic priests is actually lower than other groups. Lower was still not good enough for us. There should be NONE.

1. By the late 1980s, the greater majority of Catholic diocese had implemented changes where priests and altar servers who used to put robes on over their clothes in the same area, now do so in separate areas of the church. Altar servers/children are never alone with a priest.

2. Should any incident occur, the priest is immediately turned over to local authorities and an announcement is made at all Masses in the diocese that the incident took place.

3. Catholic Church policy is now the model used by other organizations.

The USCCB (US Catholic Bishops Conference) has been relentless in getting all diocese to conform to these policies/procedures. One diocese that was slow to comply was Boston in 2002. They were caught, and are now in compliance.

4. The Pennsylvania Grand Jury was convened because people now in their forties and fifties want to sue, but the statute of limitations had passed. So this Grand Jury went back to 1947 with their research. They noted, that "finally" in the late 1980s, the Church policies/procedures had changed.

People need to keep in mind that prior to the 1980s, even school districts used the same procedure the Church had used. Psychiatrists recommended rehabilitation training and reassignment. The Catholic Church had informed the Psychiatric community "rehabilitation" does not work, does not work, does not work. The Psychiatric community ultimately agreed that pedophilia could not be cured.

Leave the Church? Not on your life. WE (not just the clergy) are the Church. (We are taught UR the Church. If you think Catholics are going to let the smallest percentage prevent us from following Christ, think again. WE will--and we have--made changes which include an even stricter code of who can enter seminaries.

The Holy Spirit is stronger than you give credit to. The news media could have made equally sensational stories about schools, doctors, clubs and sports, Protestant denominations as well as other faiths. They selected the Catholic Church, and then rehash old news periodically. And that's okay. The Church is supposed to be beyond reproach, but it takes all the ChURch to keep it so. Running away solves nothing.

I actually think some Jews and some Protestants would love to see the Catholic church go bankrupt, the worlds largest charity and health care system.
Never going to happen.

The Catholic Church has always had its detractors, mainly because it claims to be the One True Church, and because you "can't" be a half-assed Catholic; you have to go to Church weekly (+) in order to be a member in good standing.

Actually, the Catholic Church makes no such claim. The Catholic Catechism states that the Church only has the authority to promise its teachings are the way of Redemption. It has no authority to promise redemption or heaven via the way of any other faith. All others are left to the mercy of a loving God. In fact, some Protestant denominations do not hesitate to tell those of the Jewish faith they are not going to heaven. The Catholic faith points out that God has an everlasting covenant with Jews, and therefore no one has the authority to say to any Jew they are in danger of hell for not believing in Christ.
According to Pope John it is possible for Jews or Protestants to go to Heaven even without Catholic baptism.

Who would have thunk it ??

First, if I were Catholic with all this sex abuse and cover up going on, I probably wouldn't remain a Catholic to be honest. But if I were convinced to my soul that Catholicism were the way to go (for whatever reason), I would not give one thin dime to the organization until it had convinced me it had cleaned up its act.

Not one thin dime, Catholics. Being an advocate for children of many years' duration, I urge you to STOP ALL GIVING until they have cleaned up this massive stench of corruption.
Since I am a Catholic...When this story broke in the early 1980s or so, we went to work. First, we discovered the instances of pedophilia among Catholic priests is actually lower than other groups. Lower was still not good enough for us. There should be NONE.

1. By the late 1980s, the greater majority of Catholic diocese had implemented changes where priests and altar servers who used to put robes on over their clothes in the same area, now do so in separate areas of the church. Altar servers/children are never alone with a priest.

2. Should any incident occur, the priest is immediately turned over to local authorities and an announcement is made at all Masses in the diocese that the incident took place.

The USCCB (US Catholic Bishops Conference) has been relentless in getting all diocese to conform to these policies/procedures. One diocese that was slow to comply was Boston in 2002. They were caught, and are now in compliance.

4. The Pennsylvania Grand Jury was convened because people now in their forties and fifties want to sue, but the statute of limitations had passed. So this Grand Jury went back to 1947 with their research. They noted, that "finally" in the late 1980s, the Church policies/procedures had changed.

People need to keep in mind that prior to the 1980s, even school districts used the same procedure the Church had used. Psychiatrists recommended rehabilitation training and reassignment. The Catholic Church had informed the Psychiatric community "rehabilitation" does not work, does not work, does not work. The Psychiatric community ultimately agreed that pedophilia could not be cured.

Leave the Church? Not on your life. WE (not just the clergy) are the Church. (We are taught UR the Church. If you think Catholics are going to let the smallest percentage prevent us from following Christ, think again. WE will--and we have--made changes which include an even stricter code of who can enter seminaries.

The Holy Spirit is stronger than you give credit to. The news media could have made equally sensational stories about schools, doctors, clubs and sports, Protestant denominations as well as other faiths. They selected the Catholic Church, and then rehash old news periodically. And that's okay. The Church is supposed to be beyond reproach, but it takes all the ChURch to keep it so. Running away solves nothing.

I actually think some Jews and some Protestants would love to see the Catholic church go bankrupt, the worlds largest charity and health care system.
Never going to happen.

Already has, read all about it.

According to Pope John it is possible for Jews or Protestants to go to Heaven even without Catholic baptism.

Who would have thunk it ??
Every Catholic. At least, every Catholic who is at least somewhat familiar with Catholicism and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This is not anything new.

Catholic belief: except for the saints we know about, we do not know who is in heaven now.

Catholic belief: no one knows their fate.

This report has been rehashed, I am a RC and I will remain. How about all the scout leaders and their pedophilia, how about Moore, how about all the Protestants. I come from a long line of RC and a large family and married into a large RC family, never has anyone been sexually molested, and I have known a lot of altar boys.

and here's another How about the Hasidic in NY. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesn't the jewish DA write an article about the Hasidic Jews in NY. It about time they pay.

I also think the non denominations like the Evans and fundies have a lot of pedophilia preachers.

I'd definitely agree, Jews are way more sexually deviant than Roman Catholic's.

Roman Catholic's number simply about 100 to 1 Jew in this World, so it might seem that Jews are more innocent, but clearly not on a per capita (Proportionate) basis.

Not only do they have numerous pedophiles in their clergy like Avroham Mondrowitz, in their Hollywood like Harvey Weinstein, or coaches like Beno Rheinhorn, but they also have pedophile prostitute smuggling rings like that lead by Assi-Ben-Mosh, but they also have Metzitzah B'peh a oral Jewish tradition of pedophilia.

Yeah a rant on the Joooooos

So, dismissed

Rants against Catholics are "Kosher" but rants against Jews are "Not Kosher"

Gotcha.

If you just want to point out sinners we can go on ad infinitum. That's not the issue here. The issue is sin in the clergy--sin used BY the clergy to prey on young people and then COVERED UP by higher clergy. On a massive scale.

You used THAT to go on and on about The Joooooooos

As I linked in another post, I'm not sure it's lower--at least equal to the general population. But I'm glad you've changed your policies. And I don't know why people who are in their 40s and 50s should be prevented from filing lawsuits on this behavior which has no doubt affected them deeply, probably for their entire lives. Some of it was quite disturbing.

I agree with you that the media would always select a Christian faith over any other--but they select Catholicism because the cover ups were as pervasive as the crimes. And that's shoddy, really.

...but you arent Catholic
The church is huge and you have no idea what is happening with all Catholics, you especially have no right advising them to leave their faith.

The hierarchy and protection within the ranks of leaders is the main problem and you are right ... its way past time they to do something about it.

As I linked in another post, I'm not sure it's lower--at least equal to the general population. But I'm glad you've changed your policies. And I don't know why people who are in their 40s and 50s should be prevented from filing lawsuits on this behavior which has no doubt affected them deeply, probably for their entire lives. Some of it was quite disturbing.

I agree with you that the media would always select a Christian faith over any other--but they select Catholicism because the cover ups were as pervasive as the crimes. And that's shoddy, really.
Cover-ups were just as prevalent in every faith--back-in-the-day. It was happening in schools, homes, sports, clubs, Protestants, Catholics, Jews, etc. The media happened to single out Catholics. I am glad they did, because we were among the first to clean up our act. Some organizations are still working to get to where we are now. The media did a shoddy job in reporting the entire shameful story/secret in society back then. With the Pennsylvania story, the media did a shoddy job of telling of changes that took place three decades ago.

As far as extending the statute of limitations: This raises complex issues, not so much for the Church as for society. For example, a fifty-year-old with a "recovered memory" claims that a teacher, now deceased, molested him and wants to sue the school district. However, I am with you in thinking the diocese who knows someone suffered abuse fifty years ago should do the right thing.

Somebody, time to grab a whip..................................

no, that is reserved for the innocent, christianities most cherished past time ... especially as proven to children.

...but you arent Catholic
The church is huge and you have no idea what is happening with all Catholics, you especially have no right advising them to leave their faith.

The hierarchy and protection within the ranks of leaders is the main problem and you are right ... its way past time they to do something about it.

Note that I did not advise them to leave their faith. I said *I* would not remain if it were me, but if I were convinced Catholicism were the way to go, I would not give a single red cent to the organization until they had cleaned up the corruption at the top. I am urging Catholics to stop all giving until that's done, NOT advising them to leave the faith they're convinced is right.

Note that I did not advise them to leave their faith. I said *I* would not remain if it were me, but if I were convinced Catholicism were the way to go, I would not give a single red cent to the organization until they had cleaned up the corruption at the top. I am urging Catholics to stop all giving until that's done, NOT advising them to leave the faith they're convinced is right.
A few things to note here:

1. The Grand Jury concluded that the Pennsylvania Diocese had changed their ways thirty years ago. They were trying to shine a light on the question of whether to extend the Statute of Limitations.

2. Are you under the impression that the money I give to the Catholic Church in my parish goes to Pennsylvania or even the Vatican? It does not. The donations in each parish stay within that parish and/or within the Dioceses. Exception: We do have a collection for the poor of the world, "Peter's Pence." Are you suggesting Catholics withhold funds for the poor now to punish a few clergy for acts that took place decades ago?

3. Shall we ignore the policy and procedural changes Catholic clergy and laity have implemented during the past thirty years--the work of the 98%--to get back at the 2%?

A few things to note here:

1. The Grand Jury concluded that the Pennsylvania Diocese had changed their ways thirty years ago. They were trying to shine a light on the question of whether to extend the Statute of Limitations.

2. Are you under the impression that the money I give to the Catholic Church in my parish goes to Pennsylvania or even the Vatican? It does not. The donations in each parish stay within that parish and/or within the Dioceses. Exception: We do have a collection for the poor of the world, "Peter's Pence." Are you suggesting Catholics withhold funds for the poor now to punish a few clergy for acts that took place decades ago?

3. Shall we ignore the policy and procedural changes Catholic clergy and laity have implemented during the past thirty years--the work of the 98%--to get back at the 2%?

Well, since no one really knows how the Vatican is funded, I would guess a little bit of that money for Peter's Pence probably goes there. But I'm glad that the majority goes to your parish.

Personally I'm not a fan of top-heavy organizations. Not in government; not in churches. YMMV

Well, since no one really knows how the Vatican is funded, I would guess a little bit of that money for Peter's Pence probably goes there. But I'm glad that the majority goes to your parish.

Personally I'm not a fan of top-heavy organizations. Not in government; not in churches.
You do realize that all Catholic parishes are autonomous? About 92 cents of every dollar stays within the parish. The rest goes to the diocese of that Parish.

I would like to make a correction about Peter's Pence. This once was only for the poor. But in the quick research I just did, I learned that today it appears most of it stays within Vatican City. Basically, other income for the Vatican comes from stocks, sales of postage stamps, admission fees to museums, sale of memorabilia, publications. Basically, if it is the Vatican you wish to punish, you should advocate no one making a pilgrimage to Vatican City. However, keep in mind that the Vatican has extremely little to do with the running of parishes in the United States. Each parish runs itself. Problems within the parish would then go to the Diocese or Bishop. After that it goes to the Archdiocese and the Archbishop. After that is the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Local problems do not go to the Vatican. They are resolved here.

Personally I'm not a fan of top-heavy organizations. Not in government; not in churches.
You do realize that all Catholic parishes are autonomous? About 92 cents of every dollar stays within the parish. The rest goes to the diocese of that Parish.

I would like to make a correction about Peter's Pence. This once was only for the poor. But in the quick research I just did, I learned that today it appears most of it stays within Vatican City. Basically, other income for the Vatican comes from stocks, sales of postage stamps, admission fees to museums, sale of memorabilia, publications. Basically, if it is the Vatican you wish to punish, you should advocate no one making a pilgrimage to Vatican City. However, keep in mind that the Vatican has extremely little to do with the running of parishes in the United States. Each parish runs itself. Problems within the parish would then go to the Diocese or Bishop. After that it goes to the Archdiocese and the Archbishop. After that is the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Local problems do not go to the Vatican. They are resolved here.

Um, not really autonomous. Part of a very large denomination, I would say. With a great deal of oversight.

And yes, the research I did too said Peter's Pence money goes to the Vatican. Hmmm

AMEN
(The only part of a prayer that everyone knows.)

Is there a reason why 1,000's of Catholic children are abused in the U.S.A, and just a few are in Poland, or Italy?

This shouldn't be, considering that Poland, or Italy have got nearly as many practicing Catholic's as the U.S.A....

In Germany the situation between Catholics and Protestants is nearly the same. The most astonishing fact here: Married men are the biggest danger. And most astonishing: Some of them have children on their own. Nearly unbelievable too. I remember a psychiatrist who said in Germany a married man is 36 times more dangerous than a priest of the catholic church. It are by the way here people of the extremely left political spectrum who had propagated in former times free sex between children and adults who are now the worst attackers of the Catholic church. In 1985 for example members of the political party "Die Grünen" (after they were overtaken from socialists) made a railroad to a bill which propagated a human right of children to have the human right to have sex with adults. No joke! "Die Grünen" never tried to realize this - but it was made.

Nevertheless it also had happend real cases of child abuse in Germany by priests of the holy Catholic church. A terrible disaster and a totally intolerable situation for all Catholics. No one should be shy to speak about the terrible things which really had happened. But I have also to say that I personally do not believe everything in this context. It's still not easy to find the line between delusion, illusion and truth - specially after decades and when people are not able to defend themselves any longer because they are dead. But: This means not that not everyone should tell the truth, even after decades. It needs often a very very long time to be ready to speak about such problems.

Last edited:
Um, not really autonomous. Part of a very large denomination, I would say. With a great deal of oversight.

And yes, the research I did too said Peter's Pence money goes to the Vatican. Hmmm
Autonomous in the way that each parish runs itself according to the cultures and needs of that community. If by part of a "very large denomination" you mean each is a part of the Body of Christ, absolutely. We agree on major doctrines and do all we can to honor Christ's prayer that we would remain one as he and the Father are one. The Body of Christ is very large--and consists of both the living and those who have passed on. It is much more than a "denomination".

Forum List

Back