If I Were Catholic.....

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by SweetSue92, Aug 31, 2018.

1. SobieskiSavedEurope

SobieskiSavedEurope Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Putnam Lake, NY raised, Pawling, NY resident.
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    Is there a reason why 1,000's of Catholic children are abused in the U.S.A, and just a few are in Poland, or Italy?

This shouldn't be, considering that Poland, or Italy have got nearly as many practicing Catholic's as the U.S.A....

2. SobieskiSavedEurope

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    Unfortunately, because Catholics are so organized by a central power of the Vatican, they tend to scapegoat the leadership as "Covering up"
    Meanwhile, when Rabbi Weberman a Hasidim Jewish Pedophile in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NYC had a fundraiser dinner, something no Catholic has done apparently, it's swept under as "Too small to matter"

Simply because Jewish organization is fractured, and disorganized, in comparison to the Catholic Vatican.

3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Yeah a rant on the Joooooos

So, dismissed

4. SobieskiSavedEurope

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    Rants against Catholics are "Kosher" but rants against Jews are "Not Kosher"

Gotcha.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Penelope

Penelope Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,668
    LOL, you must be a jew!!

6. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,198
    Since I am a Catholic...When this story broke in the early 1980s or so, we went to work. First, we discovered the instances of pedophilia among Catholic priests is actually lower than other groups. Lower was still not good enough for us. There should be NONE.

1. By the late 1980s, the greater majority of Catholic diocese had implemented changes where priests and altar servers who used to put robes on over their clothes in the same area, now do so in separate areas of the church. Altar servers/children are never alone with a priest.

2. Should any incident occur, the priest is immediately turned over to local authorities and an announcement is made at all Masses in the diocese that the incident took place.

3. Catholic Church policy is now the model used by other organizations.

The USCCB (US Catholic Bishops Conference) has been relentless in getting all diocese to conform to these policies/procedures. One diocese that was slow to comply was Boston in 2002. They were caught, and are now in compliance.

4. The Pennsylvania Grand Jury was convened because people now in their forties and fifties want to sue, but the statute of limitations had passed. So this Grand Jury went back to 1947 with their research. They noted, that "finally" in the late 1980s, the Church policies/procedures had changed.

People need to keep in mind that prior to the 1980s, even school districts used the same procedure the Church had used. Psychiatrists recommended rehabilitation training and reassignment. The Catholic Church had informed the Psychiatric community "rehabilitation" does not work, does not work, does not work. The Psychiatric community ultimately agreed that pedophilia could not be cured.

Leave the Church? Not on your life. WE (not just the clergy) are the Church. (We are taught UR the Church. If you think Catholics are going to let the smallest percentage prevent us from following Christ, think again. WE will--and we have--made changes which include an even stricter code of who can enter seminaries.

The Holy Spirit is stronger than you give credit to. The news media could have made equally sensational stories about schools, doctors, clubs and sports, Protestant denominations as well as other faiths. They selected the Catholic Church, and then rehash old news periodically. And that's okay. The Church is supposed to be beyond reproach, but it takes all the ChURch to keep it so. Running away solves nothing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    taking issue against catholics and not identifying your own persuasion is in the least disingenuous and referring only to their immediate surface turmoil and not the the underlying religion of christianity as the issue leaves you no better than they are.

8. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,198
    Actually, the Catholic Church makes no such claim. The Catholic Catechism states that the Church only has the authority to promise its teachings are the way of Redemption. It has no authority to promise redemption or heaven via the way of any other faith. All others are left to the mercy of a loving God. In fact, some Protestant denominations do not hesitate to tell those of the Jewish faith they are not going to heaven. The Catholic faith points out that God has an everlasting covenant with Jews, and therefore no one has the authority to say to any Jew they are in danger of hell for not believing in Christ.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Penelope

Penelope Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,668
    I actually think some Jews and some Protestants would love to see the Catholic church go bankrupt, the worlds largest charity and health care system.

10. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,998
    Here's how being a Catholic babe works …

There were these Catholic school girls on their way to summer camp riding in a bus.

The bus driver lost control and the bus plowed off the edge of the road and crashed below at the bottom of the canyon.

All the girls were then lined up in front of St. Peter about getting into Heaven.

He interviewed the first girl in line, and asked her, "Now Theresa have you every done anything that you regret having done?"

She said, "Yes St. Peter, I once touched myself."

St. Peter said, "Oh that's not bad, just hold out your hand and I will sprinkle it with holy water and everything will be fine."

She did so and he did so and she entered into Heaven.

He then interviewed the second girl in line, and asked her, "Now Catherine have you every done anything that you regret having done?"

She said, "Yes St. Peter, I once touched a boy."

St. Peter said, "Oh that's not bad, just hold out your hand and I will sprinkle it with holy water and everything will be fine."

She did so and he did so and she entered into Heaven.

About this time a girl named Sally forced her way to the front of the line and told St. Peter, "Give me that vial of holy water so I can wash my mouth out with it, before Susie has to rinse out her butt with it."