If i smoked a pork butt on Sunday

Smoking helps to preserve the meat

I usually smoke up to five butts (shoulders actually) at a time and then pull it and freeze it for months. It will keep in the fridge for a week or two.

I serve it with a homemade vinegar sauce

The last place I worked was full of good cooks and we used any excuse for a feed, same as your office. We'd start at 8 a.m. and graze straight through. The meal at lunch was always overkill.
You don't know what you're missing, finicky GT.
I adore sweet potato pie and sweet potato casserole. No marshmallows, though! They're sweet enough.
yeah i wont eat out of my coworkers kitchens, i seen these restrooms

people dont wash their fuckin ass right anymore, and im talkin suit and tie little asshole execs too, i dont work with ernie at the steel mill

i think you're probably Ok.

another option is to cut the butt in half and do it monday or tuesday. Cooking time is based on thickness, after all, so reduce the thickness to the point that it makes it actually feasible to do Tuesday if you want to eliminate any possibility of it not holding for 3 days. cut it into 4 inch thick slabs or something similar and it should only take a couple of hours.

Or cook it sunday, and freeze then thaw tuesday. I wouldn't want to do that, and I doubt you do either, but it's an option with an eye toward the safety aspect of things.
We have an oven here. So I could warm it up real good in there.
Do you think slicing it up like that would be just as good as doing it whole?

Actually, yes, I've cut butts in half a couple of times to reduce cooking time and have not seen any major difference. I imagine some purists might argue that, but I personally have been fine with this technique.

I have not gone beyond cutting them just in half, but I think if you brine the pieces properly, without over-salting of course, to hold the juices in you should be fine. If you're worried about them drying out, wrap the individual pieces in foil after you've smoked them adequately and add some apple cider to something.

An alternate plan, if you're saying you have access to an oven there, is to start it the night before, whole or in halves, to get a couple/few hours on them and get the smoke ring done right, then finish the cook by cutting that sucker in half the next day and sticking the halves or quarters in the oven when you get there. I've done that also and it works just fine. You can bring some butter or something to stir in if you think it ends up dry, but I've never had this problem when just halving the butt like this.

see here: amazingribs.com

The fast method. After 2 hours of smoking at about 225°F with lots of smoke, put the meat on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and pour a cup of water or apple juice into the pan. Cover the meat with foil and fasten the foil tightly to the edges of the pan so the meat is in a nice enclosed environment. Roast in the indoor oven at 350°F for another 2 to 3 hours or until the temp hits 203°F.

Or here: amazingribs.com

Smoking helps to preserve the meat

I usually smoke up to five butts (shoulders actually) at a time and then pull it and freeze it for months. It will keep in the fridge for a week or two.

I serve it with a homemade vinegar sauce
I don't smoke too much. I use small branches of fruit trees and usually wrap them up after an hour in a half or so. IDK if that amount of time would make a difference.

The last place I worked was full of good cooks and we used any excuse for a feed, same as your office. We'd start at 8 a.m. and graze straight through. The meal at lunch was always overkill.
I adore sweet potato pie and sweet potato casserole. No marshmallows, though! They're sweet enough.

people dont wash their fuckin ass right anymore, and im talkin suit and tie little asshole execs too, i dont work with ernie at the steel mill

...so you aren't effectively using your nose?

...so you aren't effectively using your nose?
thats quite the joke man it sent me into stitches, perhaps gave me a hernia and also made my ab muscles pop on fleeek

would it still be good to serve on Wednesday?
At work, we are doing this thing where everyday till chrsitmas, two people both bring something for break. I want to grill something and the ladies here LOVE butts, and I make a killer one. But there is no way I can smoke a butt Tuesday night.
Do you think it would still be good enough to serve or do I need to think of something else?

Of course, provided it went in the fridge after it came out of the smoker.

I was going to keep all the juices from the cook and thought about shredding it and leaving it soaking in that for 2 days.

I wouldnt shred it till the night before and then add the warmed liquid at serving.
If you leave it in the liquid to long it'll get mushy.
Just wrap it up whole and leave the juice out

keep it wrapped very tightly in saran then foil (multiple layers ) to keep it from drying out and warm it up in a low oven before serving then I would heat up the drippings to pour over the meat

There's a name for the disorder of oversensitive smell that you have. Poor thing.

one thing that occurs to me if you do cut them up is that the surface area being smoked will naturally increase, so factor that into your smoking regimen so you don't over-smoke them.

a remedy for that would be to start it as you normally do and not cut it up until you're done smoking it so as to control that factor within the norms of your normal technique.

Remember to leave on the fat while smoking and put fat side up in the smoker. That fat adds the juices, tenderness, and flavor to the meat, along with the smoke. Also make sure your heat isn't too high. When you get ready to pull it, then remove the remainder of fat. (I always leave on just a tiny bit- adds even more flavor to me) my dad smoked brisket, ribs, chickens, etc. for all the holidays. It was superb! I do when I can.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back