If gun control isn't the answer, what is?

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS.

The discussion needs to go to where it belongs. Crazy people. Look at all the mass killings of the last decade or more and mental illness has been at the root of the majority of them. If we keep the discussion on guns, we all lose.

And as the size of magazines increases, so does the body count. Hell, you can now buy 100 round magazines on-line, for most assault style rifles, with no background check.

Nonsense. The death toll in the Connecticut shooting was quite small. It was horrific in that it happened all at once, but as killers go, Lanza was small potatoes. John Wayne Gacy and William Bonin both killed more children and never used a gun one time. The Manson family killed entire families without using a gun.

California has extremely stringent gun laws, and the highest murder by gun rate in the US. We have a very high gang participate rate too. DC has zero tolerance for guns and the highest robbery with use of a firearm rate in the world. No matter that politicians sell the myth that people just go over to the next gun friendly state and get one, the real truth is that gun owners and criminals in states that have gun control laws don't. They get them from the same place that the gangs get them. Smuggled in and sold in the underground market.

Nevertheless, gun related violence in the US is going down. It dropped 3% between 2010 and 2011. People got tired of being victims and started getting their own protection.

25 years ago Kennesaw, Georgia passed a law mandating gun ownership for every person over 21. In 25 years there has not been a single gun fatality. The population quadrupled without a single gun fatality.

Contrast that with Morton Grove that instituted a total ban for eveyone except police officers. The overall population dropped slightly, but the crime rate rose over 15%.

25 years murder-free in ‘Gun Town USA’

Teach our children love and respect,hope for the best.

Dogs do what dogs do.

So what do you do about gun nut loon parents that teach their kids irrational paranoia?

Yes.. because teaching them kumbaya and that if you prevent them as law abiding citizens from obtaining and properly using weapons, that criminals won't do such things, is rational :rolleyes:

Adam Lanza was home schooled by an irrational gun loon. Oh, and the fact that the woman was well armed didn't help her one bit.

The progressive answer to gun control = ban guns that aren't being used in these mass killings and teach everyone to hide really well and hope for the best

Your broad brush shows that you're full of shit.

they dont want answers.

they want us to just get used to the "collateral" damage their worship brings this country

They want the magic of being without any impact on their so-called liberty,

or their wallets.

Can't be done.

We have tens of thousands of veterans, for starters, who need jobs or better jobs. Start training them to be armed guards, with federal funds, and start putting them to work.

Indeed.

:clap2:

As we all know, tens of thousands of veterans, many of whom complain of PTSD, are perfectly suited to carry a gun around a school full of screaming and yelling children.

:eusa_shifty:

Ok, I'm being sarcastic.

Ok, so none of our veterans are mentally qualified to possess weapons. Do you agree that should be part of the background check for personal firearm purchase.

Back to the OP's point. As you see, the rightwing has NO alternative ideas, let alone solutions.

They've rejected more gun control, they are now rejecting putting more armed security in our public buildings.

The Right is satisfied with the status quo. That much is clear.

We can pass a law that mandates sanity. Or legislates away evil.

Good luck with that one.

We can certainly deny the right to guns to people who openly proclaim that murdered abortion doctors got what they deserved and that abortion doctor killers like Scott Roeder are American heroes.

That kind of sensible gun control isn't that difficult.

Good luck with that one.

We can certainly deny the right to guns to people who openly proclaim that murdered abortion doctors got what they deserved and that abortion doctor killers like Scott Roeder are American heroes.

You go, Stalin!

Of course, the left jumps straight to gun control. What better way to solve any problem there is then by restricting freedom and increasing government size and scope? We all know that those handguns went into the school by themselves and started shooting kids. Therefore, we should get rid of all guns.

Why treat the symptom when you could treat the cause? I've heard people compare this to the Chinese dude who stabbed a bunch of kids in China. Supposedly, that was so much better because no kids died. Obviously it's good that they didn't die but it doesn't stop them from being scarred for life, both mentally and physically, for having gone through that. Less deaths or not, it's still a tragedy.

My solution, which wouldn't be a full solution (nor would eliminating all legal gun ownership in the U.S.) because nothing will work 100% of the time, is to get some early and/or better education regarding mental disorders like depression, etc. If people, even kids/teens, are better equipped to detect the signs being given off by wackos like Ryan Lanza, then maybe we'll get some better early intervention to either help them through their issues.

Last edited:
IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS.

The discussion needs to go to where it belongs. Crazy people. Look at all the mass killings of the last decade or more and mental illness has been at the root of the majority of them. If we keep the discussion on guns, we all lose.

And as the size of magazines increases, so does the body count. Hell, you can now buy 100 round magazines on-line, for most assault style rifles, with no background check.

And those who deal with weapons realize the lesser reliability of those mags... I can do just as much damage with multiple 20 round clips and change out the clip in the blink of an eye.. I can have multiple weapons at the ready before a lull to reload..

And it is good you finally used the word STYLE... which is the only criteria behind this label.. My AR is not a combat rifle.. It is not my old M-16 with 3 shot burst... It is not my old M-60 spewing out 500 rounds per minute... My AR is a .223 that I have more experience with than any other weapon besides my old M-16.. And any weapon you are comfortable with, you can be efficient or deadly with

Your ignorance and fear are quite astounding

You're a fucking idiot. "Less reliable" hardly means zero reliable. The last few high body count incidents used 30 round clips. My shotgun is limited to 3 rounds, because that's all that I'm allowed for duck hunting. I sure as hell know that I couldn't reload the weapon to come near the body count at Sandy Point.

Oh, and the civilian version of the M249 is very reliable, and can load a 200 round belt clip.

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS.

The Left doesn't want to divert the attention to the crazy people who are the real cause. They want the discussion to focus on guns being the problem so they can ban them.

I proposed a security program that would actually involve more guns, not fewer, and no one supports it, including the gun rights extremists here.

One thing I don't get - why is it so hard for the left to think logically?

Q: Where do these shooting rampages happen?
A: Where guns are completely banned (schools most often, Colorado theater, etc.)

This is NOT rocket science people. There are almost NEVER shooting rampages where guns are prevalent. And the rare times it does happen, nobody but the gunman dies.

Do you remember the shootout at the Empire State Building? Several accidental hits of bystanders by trained police. What kind of collateral damage would occur in a shootout in a crowed theater, with some untrained, armed yahoo trying to "save" people?

Everyone thinks they're John fucking Wayne. They're not. They have neither the extensive training that police go through continually through their career, nor the disposition to shoot at something that's shooting back.

That says more about the quality of cops than it does your make believe fairy tale that can't be supported with any facts at all.

What does it say about NYC cops? They were being fired on, and fired back, hitting several citizens. I guarantee they were better trained than most gun loons, who think they're John Wayne.

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS.

None of that matters, and all the gun legislation wouldn't be needed if we locked up the crazies. We used to do it, when we had state institutions. If you are on medication you can't own or posess a firearm. I don't care if it's for depression or what ever, if you are on a medication designed to "balance you out" or help you "cope", no guns for you.

NRA people need to speak up. If we lock up the crazies there are no more mass gun attacks, and no more call for anti gun legislation. Re focus your energy.

Good luck with that one.

You go, Stalin!

Yes, it's all hilarious, until it's your school, or your family.

The progressive answer to gun control = ban guns that aren't being used in these mass killings and teach everyone to hide really well and hope for the best

Your broad brush shows that you're full of shit.

Just going by the progressive media I've been flipping around. "Ban assault weapons" is the rally cry and there wasn't even an assault rifle used here.

And what did they do when the devil came? start hiding and hope for the best. Tragically that's all the option they have in these idiotic "gun free zones", better known as "criminal safe zones".

Just the facts dick.

Obummer is doing his best to turn America into the same kind of hole that he helped create in Illinois.

Illinois has a much lower murder rate than Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or Arizona. Your assumption is not supported by fact.

FBI — Table 4

He probably meant Chicago. The state statistics are mitigated downward by the large white population outside of the dominant innercity area which is responsible for almost all of the murder and rape.

Which would be true about any city with a gang problem. The assumption that making guns easier to obtain is still an idiotic argument.

They want the magic of being without any impact on their so-called liberty,

or their wallets.

Can't be done.

We have tens of thousands of veterans, for starters, who need jobs or better jobs. Start training them to be armed guards, with federal funds, and start putting them to work.

Indeed.

:clap2:

As we all know, tens of thousands of veterans, many of whom complain of PTSD, are perfectly suited to carry a gun around a school full of screaming and yelling children.

:eusa_shifty:

Ok, I'm being sarcastic.

Ok, so none of our veterans are mentally qualified to possess weapons. Do you agree that should be part of the background check for personal firearm purchase.

Back to the OP's point. As you see, the rightwing has NO alternative ideas, let alone solutions.

They've rejected more gun control, they are now rejecting putting more armed security in our public buildings.

The Right is satisfied with the status quo. That much is clear.

"The right" is satisfied with the US Constitution, lower taxation, and less government.

Armed security surrounded the Mass Murder at Ft. Hood.

The knee jerk reaction to enlarge government to protect every citizen from every possible contingency, including the actions of the insane is absurd.

Tell you what, I'll meet you halfway: how about we arm just principals. After all, they never go crazy......:eusa_shifty:

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS.

The Left doesn't want to divert the attention to the crazy people who are the real cause. They want the discussion to focus on guns being the problem so they can ban them.

You're full of shit. The fact that you don't want to address the greater and greater ability to commit the crazy acts to increase body counts shows what a joke you are.

NRA people need to speak up. If we lock up the crazies there are no more mass gun attacks, and no more call for anti gun legislation. Re focus your energy.

Define "crazies." That's a slippery slope there because i'm sure plenty of lefties would call for righties to be locked up for nothing more than the political views, and vice versa.

What is the answer?

Something, or nothing? If something, what?

Is "automobile control" the answer for drunk drivers who kill with their vehicles?

First we need to find out why some 20 somethings today seem to have chosen to undertake killing massacres at schools, large gatherings, malls, supermarkets and theatres as a choice for what ails them.

Forum List

Back