If George HW Bush didnt get re-elected - why should Obama?

Bush had huge favorable performance ratings after the Gulf War(historic highs) - a decent economy, yet wasn't rewarded with a 2nd term.

Still can't figure.....................

Obama has historic low ratings and the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Trying to prop up his image with fake foreign policy "successes."

Hope the voters dont reward him with a 2nd term.

He had a decent economy in retrospect, but at the time the economy was just pulling out of a recession and a lot of people blamed him for it.

I think also, people didn't vote so much AGAINST Bush as they voted FOR Clinton.

Let's give the Horndog his due. He was a great speaker, built his party back from the lows it had hit under Dukakis and Mondale and Carter.

And this is why I think the GOP will fail. All of their arguments are predicated on why we should vote for Obama, not why we should vote FOR Romney, even though it looks like a lot of Republicans don't really want to vote for him at this point.

Bush had huge favorable performance ratings after the Gulf War(historic highs) - a decent economy, yet wasn't rewarded with a 2nd term.

Obama has historic low ratings and the worst economy since the Great Depression.

cause the dems ran someone better than daddy bush was in order to beat him.

i'm still waiting for one of the repubs to be better than the current president b/c the rightwingnuts don't want competent, they want angry and vile.

Well, it wasn't a decent ecomomy. It was an awful economy.

He also lost the support of much of his base by pandering to the center, as manifested in the Buchanan/Perot insurgency.

But the real reason why Obama has such a good chance is because the Republicans aren't offering good alternatives.

Clinton, say what you want about him, was a dynamic candidate. Women wanted him and men wanted to be him.

I don't think anyone wants to be Mitt Romney.

I disagree with your assessment of the economy in 1992. While unemployment was still relatively high, the economy had clearly turned the corner and growth was back on track. It was just wasn't fast enough for Bush 41 to get the electoral benefits of it.

Well, it wasn't a decent ecomomy. It was an awful economy.

He also lost the support of much of his base by pandering to the center, as manifested in the Buchanan/Perot insurgency.

But the real reason why Obama has such a good chance is because the Republicans aren't offering good alternatives.

Clinton, say what you want about him, was a dynamic candidate. Women wanted him and men wanted to be him.

I don't think anyone wants to be Mitt Romney.

I disagree with your assessment of the economy in 1992. While unemployment was still relatively high, the economy had clearly turned the corner and growth was back on track. It was just wasn't fast enough for Bush 41 to get the electoral benefits of it.

I had totally forgotten I had responded to this nonsense before.

Bush was done in by unemployment. And yes, it wasn't turning around fast enough for him. But he had other problems, too.

But the real thing was- Clinton won.

It's like those people who ask why Custer lost and not why the Indians won.

So the GOP can test out lowering economy more, How's this a plan?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLWgVOLbG4]George H W Bush read my lips - YouTube[/ame]

I can't think of any reason why Obama should of been elected in the first place, let alone be re-elected..

He's been a horrible President, divisive, calls us names like flat earthers, and just plain sucks as a person let alone as our President..

I hope the people have seen and had ENOUGH..

There has never been a president that has shown this much contempt for the people he is supposed to "lead".

He's worse than Carter.

I can't think of any reason why Obama should of been elected in the first place, let alone be re-elected..

He's been a horrible President, divisive, calls us names like flat earthers, and just plain sucks as a person let alone as our President..

Oh, so you are voting because he hurt your feelings? Really?

Actually by election time the economy was in recession (it’s the economy, stupid…), however unfair and irrelevant, there was a deadly hurricane (Andrew) he allegedly poorly responded to, read my lips, and looking at his watch during a debate, indicating a lack of interest.

Ross for Boss siphoned off the votes of republicans angry about the tax increase (see: read my lips), republicans had the WH for 12 years, GHWB was a generally poor campaigner, and he was up against a charismatic opponent.

It was a perfect political storm.

No domestic policy, spent his time concerned with the liberation of Kuwait, failed to finish the job in Iraq, caved into liberal demands to raise taxes in order to keep his vision of foreign policy viable, split the conservative backbone of the party, showed his true colors as a progressive, compassionate, conservative that believed in a strong ever expanding centralized government at the expense of the middle class. Goes to show 4 years of tutoring by Reagan didn't sink in. Papa Bush had his moments but just didn't get it. As for the recession, the market was due for a major correction and the fed had to adjust rates to control inflation which afforded the next president the foundation to enjoy the creation of two major bubble economies.

Bush I didn't have a decent economy.he had a recession. and he was disengaged.

but the reality is, there was a better candidate running against him.

so far the GOP seems dead set against picking a candidate that could get anyone other than "the base" to vote for him.

The unemployment rate was at 7.3 percent. Let's look at Obama's last three years: 9.0, 8.3, 8.3. Hmm.

And Bush did not lose because Clinton was 'the better candidate.' He lost because Perot took away just enough votes. And to be fair and show you that my analysis is not partisan, the other Bush probably doesn't beat Gore in 2000 without Nader swinging the balance in Florida.

Really? Is that why Romney is always in the Top in every poll? Because were Dead set against Nominating a Candidate that can get more than the Base to Vote for him?

lol

you are mistaken.

RealClearPolitics - President Obama vs. Republican Candidates

Poll Date Sample Obama (D) Romney (R) Spread
RCP Average 3/10 - 4/3 -- 47.6 43.6 Obama +4.0
Rasmussen Tracking 4/1 - 4/3 1500 LV 44 47 Romney +3
USA Today/Gallup 3/25 - 3/26 901 RV 49 45 Obama +4
CNN/Opinion Research 3/24 - 3/25 925 RV 54 43 Obama +11
McClatchy/Marist 3/20 - 3/22 846 RV 46 44 Obama +2
PPP (D) 3/15 - 3/17 900 RV 48 44 Obama +4
Reason-Rupe 3/10 - 3/20 1200 A 46 40 Obama +6
FOX News 3/10 - 3/12 912 RV 46 42 Obama +4

Geroge Bush I was a fine POTUS.

I particualrly admire his bravery in changing his mind when he went from NO NEW TAXES to new taxes.

He actually set up this nation for the CLINTON ERA by striaghtening out the mess left from Reagan's tax policies.

AND THAT cost him a reelection and he KNEW that would be the outcome, too.

So the man did the RIGHT THING and his fellow GOPers punished him for doing so.

I particualrly admire his bravery in changing his mind when he went from NO NEW TAXES to new taxes.

He actually set up this nation for the CLINTON ERA by striaghtening out the mess left from Reagan's tax policies.

I couldn't disagree more. He didn't stick to his guns. The economy is not efficient on more taxes and his economy reflected that. He paid the price b/c he gave into Democrats. Well played Democrats.

And Clinton wasn't financially strong either. He wanted to pass big govt. measures like Obama. The difference was a Republican House and the net boom. And it was Clinton that started the ticking clock on Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac by lessening oversight and regulations.

I couldn't disagree more. He didn't stick to his guns. The economy is not efficient on more taxes and his economy reflected that. He paid the price b/c he gave into Democrats. Well played Democrats.

And Clinton wasn't financially strong either. He wanted to pass big govt. measures like Obama. The difference was a Republican House and the net boom. And it was Clinton that started the ticking clock on Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac by lessening oversight and regulations.

Clinton was financially "strong". So much so..that unlike Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II there weren't any bailouts. And you guys seem to forget that Reagan raised taxes more then any President in US history.

And as for all this austerity you guy advocate..which is unusual because when the President is Republican..there is no austerity..is ridiculous. The government has to spend money..like it or not. This is a huge country..with financial hooks into every part of the world. That has to be maintained. And NOT by a big military.

Oh..and austerity doesn't work. Both Britain and Japan tried it with horrible results.

wtf? Maybe you don't mind being insulted by this man pretending to be a President..so by all means go out and vote for him..

wtf? Maybe you don't mind being insulted by this man pretending to be a President..so by all means go out and vote for him..

He's not pretending.

He actually went and killed the terrorist that attacked New York City.

Unlike the guy before him.

:thup: True story.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o]Bush: Truly not concerned about bin Laden (short version) - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back