I will probably die before the Catholic Church gets its act together

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
The Catholic Church is in crisis right now, with vocations low, and people not obeying the Church's teachings on birth control and many other issues.

Also, the sex scandal has undermined the authority of the Church in moral matters.

Also, the current Pope is a liberal with a history of blurting out stupid remarks to the media that are being misinterpreted to mean that major doctrines are open to change, when they are not.

This situation has put me a lifelong Catholic, in a quandry.

I find it hard to support the Catholic Church in its current manifestation, since it is riddled with so many problems that are beyond my power to deal with, since I am only a layman and have absolutely no power in how the Church is run, not even at the parish level.

However I believe the dogma of the Catholic Church when correctly taught is absolutely correct in all particulars since it is preserved from error by the Holy Spirit.

The problem is that many flawed individuals have turned the Catholic Church into a circus of madness that is difficult for me to tolerate.

I do not attend weekly Mass, and when I do attend, I find no spiritual inspiration in the proceedings.

I rarely pray, and rarely find reason to pray.

I feel that my alienation from the Catholic Church has caused me to become alienated with God.

Since the Catholic Church is my only source of comfort, I have nowhere to turn.

What would you suggest?

I will put on ignore anyone who uses this thread as an opportunity to take cheap shots.

The Catholic Church is in crisis right now, with vocations low, and people not obeying the Church's teachings on birth control and many other issues.

Also, the sex scandal has undermined the authority of the Church in moral matters.

Also, the current Pope is a liberal with a history of blurting out stupid remarks to the media that are being misinterpreted to mean that major doctrines are open to change, when they are not.

I find it hard to support the Catholic Church in its current manifestation, since it is riddled with so many problems that are beyond my power to deal with, since I am only a layman and have absolutely no power in how the Church is run, not even at the parish level.

However I believe the dogma of the Catholic Church when correctly taught is absolutely correct in all particulars since it is preserved from error by the Holy Spirit.

The problem is that many flawed individuals have turned the Catholic Church into a circus of madness that is difficult for me to tolerate.

I do not attend weekly Mass, and when I do attend, I find no spiritual inspiration in the proceedings.

I feel that my alienation from the Catholic Church has caused me to become alienated with God.

What would you suggest?

I will put on ignore anyone who uses this thread as an opportunity to take cheap shots.
This is an observation/question not a cheap shot.
Why do you let people in and of your church determine your level of faith? Sounds to me like you're using the trials and tribulations engulfing the church as an excuse instead of an opportunity to strengthen your faith.

What would you suggest?

Dear Blackrook
Why not focus on the faithful among the Catholic and Christian who ARE getting it together?

There are many more leaders and laypeople spreading the teaching and practice of spiritual healing that is a well established
tradition from the Catholic priests that others have learned to master and share with others to multiply the healing outreach.

One of my Catholic friends introduced me to the book on HEALING by Francis MacNutt, former Catholic priest who
expanded his healing ministry to reach people of all faiths, and even had medical research studies published on RA funded by
Templeton Foundation.

Out of the Catholic teachings and traditions, many more people are finding liberation than oppression by corruption which
makes the news more but is not the majority representation of the good work, healing and help that goes on every day worldwide.

There is always more good than bad.
Just because the bad stands out more in the headlines
doesn't mean it defines what is really going on.

If you look for the good, it is AMAZING how much is going on, every day we take for granted.

Here are a couple of my FAVORITE examples of positive models and programs with greater impact than the negatives you see too:

* The Nurturing Network started by Catholic prolife business executive Mary Cunningham Agee
The Nurturing Network
Why can't we demand equal funding go to THIS group as goes to Planned Parenthood?

* Christian Healing Ministries, Catholic Charismatic healing and deliverance, and Pentecostal healing
EX: www.christianhealingmin.org
www.healingisyours.com
(Jewish neurosurgeon who now focuses full time on spiritual healing after seeing proof of the powerful effects and results)
Scott Peck's "Glimpses of the Devil" where he documents his observations of two cases of Schizophrenic patients
who changed his mind about the effective process of exorcism as introduced to him by Father Malachi Martin

My friend Olivia Reiner also has used this gift of healing deliverance and exorcism in outreach,
and USED to avoid the Catholic church thinking negative as well. But recently she partnered with
other healers and counselors who volunteer with the Charismatic Catholics and they do INCREDIBLE work together
to reach more and more people every day.

Negative thinking does not build the church.

We need to tear down these walls and barriers, unite and build stronger relations.

Blackrook whatever you see wrong with the Catholic community CAN be addressed, resolved and corrected.
Together. Not by avoiding or condemning, but embracing and uplifting each other,
not allowing any to fall victim to stumbling blocks. But to help each other as neighbors get back on track
when we falter and fail. We are meant to overcome these ills TOGETHER. None of us is perfect, lest we judge.

We all need to help each other, so we are reminded we are equal neighbors in Christ all relying on God's will to keep us aligned.
Look at the good going on, and you'll see that the bad can be fixed. The good outweighs the bad,
and both are used to teach us the difference so we can benefit from experience and help others on this same learning curve.

Take care, take heart and take courage!
Let your love be greater than your fear.
Let forgiveness lead the way to correction.

God's will through Christ makes all things
new, perfect and whole. Be one with God!
Let all these other things pass as you move on to better things.
Have a great year, and may you see more and more blessings
multiply around you, right before your eyes. the same world
but seen through different lenses through the eyes of love
and not jaded by fears of the past that, too, shall pass away...

What would you suggest?

Dear Blackrook
Why not focus on the faithful among the Catholic and Christian who ARE getting it together?

There are many more leaders and laypeople spreading the teaching and practice of spiritual healing that is a well established
tradition from the Catholic priests that others have learned to master and share with others to multiply the healing outreach.

One of my Catholic friends introduced me to the book on HEALING by Francis MacNutt, former Catholic priest who
expanded his healing ministry to reach people of all faiths, and even had medical research studies published on RA funded by
Templeton Foundation.

Out of the Catholic teachings and traditions, many more people are finding liberation than oppression by corruption which
makes the news more but is not the majority representation of the good work, healing and help that goes on every day worldwide.

If you look for the good, it is AMAZING how much is going on, every day we take for granted.

Here are a couple of my FAVORITE examples of positive models and programs with greater impact than the negatives you see too:

* The Nurturing Network started by Catholic prolife business executive Mary Cunningham Agee
The Nurturing Network
Why can't we demand equal funding go to THIS group as goes to Planned Parenthood?

* Christian Healing Ministries, Catholic Charismatic healing and deliverance, and Pentecostal healing
www.healingisyours.com
(Jewish neurosurgeon who now focuses full time on spiritual healing after seeing proof of the powerful effects and results)
Scott Peck's "Glimpses of the Devil" where he documents his observations of two cases of Schizophrenic patients
who changed his mind about the effective process of exorcism as introduced to him by Father Malachi Martin

My friend Olivia Reiner also has used this gift of healing deliverance and exorcism in outreach,
and USED to avoid the Catholic church thinking negative as well. But recently she partnered with
other healers and counselors who volunteer with the Charismatic Catholics and they do INCREDIBLE work together

We need to tear down these walls and barriers, unite and build stronger relations.

Blackrook whatever you see wrong with the Catholic community CAN be addressed, resolved and corrected.
Together. Not by avoiding or condemning, but embracing and uplifting each other,
not allowing any to fall victim to stumbling blocks. But to help each other as neighbors get back on track
when we falter and fail. We are meant to overcome these ills TOGETHER. None of us is perfect, lest we judge.

We all need to help each other, so we are reminded we are equal neighbors in Christ all relying on God's will to keep us aligned.
Look at the good going on, and you'll see that the bad can be fixed. The good outweighs the bad,
and both are used to teach us the difference so we can benefit from experience and help others on this same learning curve.

He's not catholic. He's a convert. He's go no idea what it is.

What would you suggest?

Dear Blackrook

Templeton Foundation.

The Nurturing Network

www.healingisyours.com

He's not catholic. He's a convert. He's go no idea what it is.

Dear The Great Goose
The ideals are good. Some of the structure is limiting and needs rework but so does EVERY institution fall into that same pattern and process.

The liberals also have a political hierarchy that is strangling and undermining their IDEALS that are good.
But cannot be achieved by forcing them through top down mandates.

We have to build across, creating structures that organize people under an umbrella
but allow for freedom of choice in affiliation and participation.

Both church and state have to figure out how to balance both:
how to maintain individual freedom and responsibility
but collectively manage things as one inclusive system.

There is good and bad in ANY institution trying to balance individual with collective will and benefit.
The Catholic church is no exception.
I'd still say there is more good going on, while the bad can be corrected.

Overall the same problems that need to be fixed with Catholics
need to be fixed with Government, with PARTIES, with corporations and any other collective group
that is going to have power imbalances, abuse and corruption in large numbers.

ALL institutions need the same "checks and balances" to prevent abuses of power
by collective entities with greater influence than the individual members.

That's just human nature, and the challenge of living in society with larger institutions
that have more power, influence and resources than single individuals.
No one is immune to the same issues, similar to how Government principles
in the Bill of Rights seeks to protect individuals from abuse of collective authority.

Whether church or state authority, of course, concentrating power over masses
in the hands of fewer leaders is going to create an imbalanced hierarchy prone to abuses.

What is new?

I admit that most of my problems with God is that he has not seen fit to make my life easy. I have had lifetime health problems, which has caused me lifetime financial difficulties, and because of my financial difficulties, my wife of 27 years has left me. To be a faithful Catholic, I cannot remarry, so I must spend the rest of my life alone. It's a harsh situation, but that's what God has fit to give me. I'm bummed, and it's difficult to work up the enthusiasm to praise God for his blessings when I feel he's given me more than my share of curses.

I admit that most of my problems with God is that he has not seen fit to make my life easy. I have had lifetime health problems, which has caused me lifetime financial difficulties, and because of my financial difficulties, my wife of 27 years has left me. To be a faithful Catholic, I cannot remarry, so I must spend the rest of my life alone. It's a harsh situation, but that's what God has fit to give me. I'm bummed, and it's difficult to work up the enthusiasm to praise God for his blessings when I feel he's given me more than my share of curses.
I know you have me on ignore but that sux.

Life gives some people a shit sandwich.

1) it's a well known fact the church was infiltrated by the mob especially in the 70's, and other dark entities over the ages which is why the whistleblower Pope was murdered over blowing the lid on the financers and the infiltration.
2)There's always been a struggle between Priests in vocation for sincere good healthy reasons and those who have ulterior motives with bad or selfish intentions.
This is a struggle through time even in the Temple days Kings were struggling with helenized influences and good head priests turned bad through abuse of power and acts they had to do(story of the wicked priest in the Dead Sea Scrolls).

It's hard to keep the charade imposter temple going in Rome when they truly never understood the Abrahamic and Moses nor the prophets precepts & philosophies.
So the ideology not only is tainted but it's subjective using errors of poor judgement and needs to maintain power. It becomes Political hidden under the mask of religion like you guys complain Islam is.
The solution is, they always said theycd relinquish power over to the Moshiach and his hosts (Kohanim). I think with their expected Last Pope, now is that time to give up the ghost, swallow pride, recognize the experiment charade went on way longer then it should have and call it a NIGHT.
Don't be like the many dictators that held on to power for pride at the detriment of their people.
(Castro, Arafat, Kadafi, Saddam, & especially Hassad).

What would you suggest?

The answer is in the Host.

What would you suggest?

Sounds bad. Your wife dumped you, you have medical problems, your church isn't the comfort you need. Looks like there is just one thing you can do. Suck it up and quit whining. As insulting and belittling as you have been to the less fortunate, you didn't really expect any compassion did you?

What would you suggest?

Sounds bad. Your wife dumped you, you have medical problems, your church isn't the comfort you need. Looks like there is just one thing you can do. Suck it up and quit whining. As insulting and belittling as you have been to the less fortunate, you didn't really expect any compassion did you?
Is that because you believe that two wrongs makes a right?

I admit that most of my problems with God is that he has not seen fit to make my life easy. I have had lifetime health problems, which has caused me lifetime financial difficulties, and because of my financial difficulties, my wife of 27 years has left me. To be a faithful Catholic, I cannot remarry, so I must spend the rest of my life alone. It's a harsh situation, but that's what God has fit to give me.
Dear Blackrook
Lots of Catholics remarry. It depends.
Gods will and plans are greater than what we think the rules in life are.
As for your health I'll PM you and see if some contacts I know might help you.
Some people have recovered from debilitating situations. It depends.
Yes its hard to keep faith.
The main thing is to forgive so you receive peace of mind at all times.
Whatever happens is going to happen.
But if we forgive and let go we can enjoy the ride in life despite ups and downs we can't control. Bless you and may life get better as you go! Take care. Gotta quit playing on this thing. Will PM tomorrow gnite

What would you suggest?

Is it wrong for him to reap what he has sewn?

What would you suggest?

Reaping what we sow is a valuable part of learning lessons. Gloating over people who have struggles? Not so much.

What would you suggest?

Reaping what we sow is a valuable part of learning lessons. Gloating over people who have struggles? Not so much.

Gloating would be saying I was happy to see him depressed. Perhaps he shouldn't have judged so many so harshly, if he didn't want the same.

What would you suggest?

Gloating would be saying I was happy to see him depressed. Perhaps he shouldn't have judged so many so harshly, if he didn't want the same.
I see. The old two wrongs makes a right argument. Seems kind of circular to me.

BlackRook I am sorry for your loss .. Many men and for that matter women as well have faced such a dilemma .... My way of looking at it is that it is an opportunity to reinvent yourself and adapt and overcome it getting a second chance..No amount of sitting there will make it better you must take small tentative steps and try to make yourself happy and who knows but maybe someone new will come along and be willing to share in your newfound path... Good luck to you and your new adventure time heals all and I mean all wounds if you allow it too...

What would you suggest?

The current Pope is not a liberal. He has great PR. The recently deceased Cardinal Kasper was a bit of a liberal.

You can turn back to the Church. I thought one of the points of the Synod was to find ways to respond to the needs of the people rather than to focus exclusively on what should be.

78. What is urgently needed today is a ministry to care for those whose marital relationship has broken down. Though separation often leads to the end of many, long years of conflict between the spouses, it causes still greater suffering in the children of the marriage. The loneliness of the spouse who is abandoned or who has been forced to cease living in a situation characterized by continuous, severe ill-treatment, calls for particular care on the part of the Christian community. Prevention and treatment in cases of domestic violence require close cooperation with law enforcement to move against the perpetrators and adequately protect the victims. Promoting the protection of children from sexual abuse is also important. In addition to accompanying these families, the Church exercises “zero tolerance” in these cases. Consideration seems appropriate for families in which some members carry out activities which require the Church’s special attention, like soldiers, who are physically separated from their families for long periods of time, with all the consequences that this entails. When returning from war, these men and women are often suffering from post-traumatic syndrome and are troubled in conscience, which poses serious moral questions for them, all of which requires special pastoral attention.

79. Failure in a marriage is a painful experience for everyone. On the other hand, this marriage failure can become an opportunity for reflection, conversion and trust in God. In each’s becoming aware of his/her responsibility, everyone can find confidence and hope in him. “From the heart of the Trinity, from the depths of the mystery of God, the great river of mercy wells up and overflows unceasingly. It is a spring that will never run dry, no matter how many people draw from it. Every time someone is in need, he or she can approach it, because the mercy of God never ends” (MV, 25). To pardon an injustice is not easy, but it is a journey that grace makes possible, thus, the need for pastoral conversion and reconciliation also through specialized counselling and mediation centres which are to be establish in dioceses. Justice, however, is to be promoted for everyone involved in a failed marriage (spouses and children). The Christian community and its Pastors have the duty to ask the spouses, who are separated and divorced, to treat each other with respect and mercy, especially for the good of the children, who ought not endure further suffering. Children cannot be an object of contention between the parents; instead, ways must be sought so that the children might overcome the trauma of a broken home and grow in as serene an atmosphere as possible. In every case, the Church is always to highlight the injustice which often comes from a situation of divorce.
The Final Report of the Synod of Bishops to the Holy Father, Pope Francis

Ok. What about Redemptive Suffering?

John Paul II addresses suffering magnificently. Embrace the cross?
Salvifici Doloris (February 11, 1984) | John Paul II

But, hey, I'm an atheist. So..........:dunno:. You seem to be (not that you are) one of those folks that is in a place where you can't let go of the Church or it's teachings. Can't stay where you are and can't leave. So, maybe you have to change the way you view things and being all stingy holding on to your suffering in order to move past it.

What would you suggest?

What works for one may not work for another, but this is how I heighten my own spiritual experience during Mass. Early on in the week, I go to the usccb daily readings and study the upcoming readings. I listen to the short online commentary that matches that day (same website). I reflect on the readings, and then give myself the mental assignment of coming up with my own commentary for the readings, making them specific to my own life--not life in general. You might say it is like giving yourself your own personal homily based on the what the readings are teaching. It can be amazing how this opens me up to paying closer attention to the readings at Mass and to Father's homily--kind of like making me more sponge-like and able to absorb what is being said.

Also, one line in the penitential rite always grabs me: I ask the blessed Mother ever virgin AND YOU, MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, TO PRAY FOR ME TO THE LORD OUR GOD. Look around the church at all the wonderful people who have just asked you to pray for them. So start praying for them. See the lady in the red coat, the mother with two children, the bald man, the tall boy, the frail lady? They are all asking you to pray for them. So pray. Then give glory to God in the highest.

During the Eucharistic rite, the part that always catches my attention is when we pray for those who have passed on. In your heart, name them. (I'm guessing you don't have a problem paying attention during the Consecration or the Lord's Prayer.)

In the quiet moments of the Mass, be silent, giving God the opportunity to work within you in the silence.

See if you can pick out one inspiring line whether in the readings, a song, or a prayer that you can apply to your own life all throughout the coming week.

This is active participation in the Mass. Often it works well. When it doesn't, I go the alternate route of just being present at Mass, silencing my mind, and simply offering God a chance to work with whatever inside me needs worked upon. The Mass going on around me helps keeps me focused on letting God do His interior work within.

May God bless you and keep you... (From today's reading)

Forum List

Back