‘I want to die’: David Goodall, 104, hours away from ending his life in Switzerland

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Before deciding to end his life in an assisted dying clinic in Switzerland, Dr Goodall reportedly attempted suicide three different times.

After having his driver’s licence revoked at age 94, the esteemed academic and grandfather of 12 said his loss of independence made him want to die.

“At my age, I get up in the morning. I eat breakfast. And then I just sit until lunchtime. Then I have a bit of lunch and just sit. What’s the use of that?” he told CNN.

With more than 100 research papers published and three doctorates under his belt, Dr Goodall was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia for his contributions to science, specifically the areas of plant ecology and natural resources management.

He continued to work well past the age of 100.

At 102, he was told to permanently vacate his office at Edith Cowan University in Perth over fears for his health and wellbeing.

But he won a battle to stay in his office. Dr Goodall would spend about 90 minutes commuting to work, including catching two buses and a train.

Earlier this year, Dr Goodall fell to the floor while alone in his one-bedroom apartment in Perth.

Unable to pull himself up, his cries for help went unanswered and he remained on the floor for two days until he was found by his cleaner.

He was rushed to hospital and despite only suffering from “one or two minor wounds” Dr Goodall was advised not to do certain things alone, like ride the bus or cross the street.

“There was basically nothing wrong,” Dr Goodall told the ABC before venturing to Switzerland.

“But I was considered incapable of looking after myself. And it upset me greatly being constrained.”
'I want to die': David Goodall hours away from ending life

The man falls in his house and was there for two days before he was found but is told he can't cross the street alone.............

I think losing one's independence is heart breaking.

Before deciding to end his life in an assisted dying clinic in Switzerland, Dr Goodall reportedly attempted suicide three different times.

After having his driver’s licence revoked at age 94, the esteemed academic and grandfather of 12 said his loss of independence made him want to die.

“At my age, I get up in the morning. I eat breakfast. And then I just sit until lunchtime. Then I have a bit of lunch and just sit. What’s the use of that?” he told CNN.

With more than 100 research papers published and three doctorates under his belt, Dr Goodall was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia for his contributions to science, specifically the areas of plant ecology and natural resources management.

At 102, he was told to permanently vacate his office at Edith Cowan University in Perth over fears for his health and wellbeing.

But he won a battle to stay in his office. Dr Goodall would spend about 90 minutes commuting to work, including catching two buses and a train.

Earlier this year, Dr Goodall fell to the floor while alone in his one-bedroom apartment in Perth.

Unable to pull himself up, his cries for help went unanswered and he remained on the floor for two days until he was found by his cleaner.

He was rushed to hospital and despite only suffering from “one or two minor wounds” Dr Goodall was advised not to do certain things alone, like ride the bus or cross the street.

“There was basically nothing wrong,” Dr Goodall told the ABC before venturing to Switzerland.

“But I was considered incapable of looking after myself. And it upset me greatly being constrained.”

The man falls in his house and was there for two days before he was found but is told he can't cross the street alone.............

Thank you. Agree. Winner. Informative.

He could have just gone to a bar in Guatemala city and said " The Pope is a fag".
He could have went anywhere and said any number of things but did this instead. Is everything a joke to you?
Yeah. Including life in general. Waddling around trying to look good and collect shit that you can't take when you check out.It's like shopping all day at a mall and then you find out you can't take it "home" and play with it.

He could have just gone to a bar in Guatemala city and said " The Pope is a fag".
He could have went anywhere and said any number of things but did this instead. Is everything a joke to you?
Yeah. Including life in general. Waddling around trying to look good and collect shit that you can't take when you check out.It's like shopping all day at a mall and then you find out you can't take it "home" and play with it.

Okay fair enough. However, the good Dr. Goodall seemed to have a little more on the ball than waddling around and colleting shit.

I saw this on the news too.

This is a sad story.

It is not newsworthy however.

It sets a bad example.

I am guessing this old moron is atheist.

Okay fair enough. However, the good Dr. Goodall seemed to have a little more on the ball than waddling around and colleting shit.
Goodall strikes me as a moron and an atheist.

Exactly.

No hope of any kind in any future beyond the grave.

Atheist obviously.

The wages of atheism are death.

Go.
Went.
Gone.
Could have gone.
Should have gone.
Might have gone.
May have gone.
Shall have gone.

No "could have went's" in that conjugation anywhere.

Public schools ?!

You Disir seem to touch on some very controversial issues in your postings.

You must be extremely bright and very well educated.

Probably a writer too, or an editor.

You would be fun to date.

Dinner and wine would be fascinating with you.

And also the pillow talk.

One less Social Security recipient.

That's the only good news.

I did not get whether this moron had any family or friends.

Did not sound like it though.

103 is a good run. we're kinder to our pets than we are to people.

and he was living in Switzerland....NOT a social security recipient. and even if he was.....
The news reported that he FLEW to Switzerland so that does not jive with your suppositions.

Assisted suicide...the guy goes >10K mi from home to get whacked? Pay somebody a couple hundred bucks to drive you to a bridge and drop you off next to the railing with a step stool...Rat poison? Pills? Shit....train tracks?
He may have been a doctor with 100 papers published but he apparently lacked common sense.

Forum List

Back