I predict Picard will be total garbage

I got to the end of the new Picard show and I have to admit I'm unclear on what Picard's goal is now.

The girl who approached him turns out to be a living robot of some kind, but her connection to Picard is not clear to me.

She dies in an explosion, but luckily she has a twin so Picard is going to go save her from some threat which I'm afraid is not clearly defined.

Romulans are the bad guys going after the robot girl twins, but why that is happening is also not made clear.

I'm afraid the whole show seems to be a mess.

These people are out of ideas. This is pure exploitation hoping to make money. Worse, it is on CBS ALL ACCESS like ST Discovery. That kills it right there. I became quite fond of The Orville ITMT on Fox. Now, I've heard they are taking that off television and moving it to Hulu. Oh well. Fuck 'em. I hope they lose their shirts doing that. I won't be manipulated like that. Want to put it on a steaming service? Fine, but put it on TV as well.

Hell will freeze over before I invest all kinds of money on more hardware and services and have to pay $44 a month to watch one TV show I used to see for free.

I'm sorry, I can kind of see an advantage of streaming services... I'm paying directly for the shows I want to see as opposed to the whims of advertisers as to what they put their money behind.

I got to the end of the new Picard show and I have to admit I'm unclear on what Picard's goal is now.

The girl who approached him turns out to be a living robot of some kind, but her connection to Picard is not clear to me.

She dies in an explosion, but luckily she has a twin so Picard is going to go save her from some threat which I'm afraid is not clearly defined.

Romulans are the bad guys going after the robot girl twins, but why that is happening is also not made clear.

So you want the whole thing explained in one episode to you?

I understood what was going on. These two girls are humans with positronic brains. Probably grown by Commander Bruce Maddox from the original series.

I thought it was a pretty strong start. Let's see where it goes.

So the issue is Romulan refugees after their star went supernova.

Not very subtle.

No, it isn't. But it's consistent with the universe (It had been established the Romulan sun went supernova in Star Trek XI) and that most of them died.

So what they are going to build on is that our otherwise benevolent Federation turned it's back on a refugee crisis, which opposed all the decent principles it stands on. Gee, you are right. When you put it that way, it's kind of horrible.

Maybe the media and Hollywood are dominated by liberals, and conservatives are blackballed.

Every think of that possibility?

Or maybe, when you get down to brass tacks, Conservatism is a rationalization of selfishness. That is never appealing in a narrative context. Conservatism is always, "We could solve this problem if we really wanted to, but we won't because Mine, Mine, Mine!!!"

Not appealing at all.

Didn't the Klingon moon blow up, so this is the second time an enemy of the Federation has had their planet destroyed.

Yes, it did. Kind of the same kind situation, where they were doing an allegory of the end of the Cold War.

Maybe the Klingons interfered in the Federation Elections, and that's why the Federation are acting like such dicks.

[ Conservatism is a rationalization of selfishness.

LOL. You are confused Moon Bat.

Liberalism has been proven in history to be a failure time and time again and the idea that it will produce an utopia in the future is nothing more that Hollywood Liberal Limousine fantasy science fiction.

The same type of silly fiction that creates food replicators, warp drive, unlimited energy and machines that beam people from one point to another.

If you want a dose of economic reality go read Robert Heinlein's book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Anybody that read that book and understood it would never vote for a Democrat or any Liberal. That is where the phrase "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" came from.

They are raping a beloved franchise for cheap partisan points..

You think Kirk kissing Uhura wasn't making a point?

Fair point. A number of differences.

1. It was actually brave of them, at the time.

2. They did not do it at the expense of good story telling.

3. They did not insult their audience while doing so.

4. It was not a long standing franchise, with long term fans.

5. Making a point about equality for AMERICANS, is a big difference from making a point about equality for unwelcome foreigners or attacking a partisan figure for partisan points.

I understood what was going on. These two girls are humans with positronic brains. Probably grown by Commander Bruce Maddox from the original series.

ST Discovery sucks. It is PC driven and propaganda.

The last thing we need is another Star Trek show, especially one featuring Jean Luc Picard, a very boring character from the very boring Next Generation show.

These people are out of ideas. This is pure exploitation hoping to make money. Worse, it is on CBS ALL ACCESS like ST Discovery. That kills it right there. I became quite fond of The Orville ITMT on Fox. Now, I've heard they are taking that off television and moving it to Hulu. Oh well. Fuck 'em. I hope they lose their shirts doing that. I won't be manipulated like that. Want to put it on a steaming service? Fine, but put it on TV as well.

Hell will freeze over before I invest all kinds of money on more hardware and services and have to pay $44 a month to watch one TV show I used to see for free.

Too funny. A conservative whining about capitalism at work...

No jackass, as an expert and connoisseur in Star Trek, I refuse to see it crassly exploited for sheer profit. Star Trek was originally the vision of one man, a guy who started out a cop in LA. It had a message and a vision about the future, and by his own admission, due to interference and stupidity by the NBC network constantly fighting him over everything, starving him of money, that vision really only lasted for the first season of the original Star Trek. After that, it has all been down hill.

Now "Star Trek" is nothing more than rehashing old characters and themes with lots of space ships and special effects in order to keep the "franchise" alive. Technically, if you want to see the real STAR TREK, you have to go back to 1964, two years before the show aired on TV, and watch the original pilot rejected by NBC called 'The Cage' later woven into two episodes to save money and repackaged as 'The Menagerie.'

Last edited:

Not very subtle.

So, what the fuck happened to the Romulan FUCKING EMPIRE?
I was wondering that myself. The Romulan star is a bit vague while hinting that it is the Romulan home star. It could have been any Romulan star. They are, after all, a Star Empire, are they not?

And what about asking their cousins for help? I'm sure the Vulcan's would send ships immediately!

I'm sorry, I can kind of see an advantage of streaming services... I'm paying directly for the shows I want to see as opposed to the whims of advertisers as to what they put their money behind.

That is not how television works. What gets on the air is not driven by advertisers, but by network execs who choose programs by their estimate both of their viability, cost and marketability toward their network image. Advertisers buy time slots, not programming. Nielsen ratings or the like on a given time slot sets the rate for that time. I prefer an even better method: seeing the shows I want to see for free and letting the advertisers foot all of the bill. You see, those shows are already paid for by the advertisers. From there on out, it is pure profit. So I prefer to let the advertisers do all the heavy lifting, watch the shows I want to see for free and skip all of the advertisements. I get 45 channels of premium programming at zero cost with no advertisements, in fact, a better package than I ever got from any satellite or cable system.

Now tell me again why I should fork out $45 a month to watch the 'Picard' shit show on a streaming service with freezes, hang ups and glitches?

Not really. Everyone knew Kirk was randy as hell.

Ah, no, Wayne. The entire point of Uhura, Sulu, Scott, Chekov and especially Spock was to break the entire doctrine of fear of all white all the time and drive home the message that all people of every race (or planet) are equal, and can live together in peace and harmony toward a higher end than mere acquisition of wealth or power.

Yes, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was aimed straight at testing and breaking the racial boundary on TV, but Kirk didn't kiss her because he was "randy," he kissed her because he was being forced to by the people there where he was at.

Not very subtle.

So, what the fuck happened to the Romulan FUCKING EMPIRE?

The Romulan Star Empire was a small, very limited association of stars. Likely a galactic star cluster (a group of stars born together who wander apart like the Pleiades). The idea that the home star went supernova and exploded is bullshit. Stars don't just blow up, these things don't happen overnight. In all cases, any kind of stellar explosion would have been preceded by millions and millions of years of a planet being uninhabitable, anyway.

Thanks, BR. Curious, what did it cost you to watch the show?

So, lessee, we have Picard, they've worked Data in (or is he B4?) to tie it to the past, they got a new Number One, a dog, I'm sure Riker is flattered, and they even worked in some token Vulcans, though, why Vulcans would be tending a vineyard is beyond me. Now we have synthetic people with man-made brains. No doubt these new "people" can have all undesirable characteristics programmed out of them, so as to not like guns, be atheistic, be very liberal, and to hate all of Trump's great, great, great, great grand-children, whom no doubt, libtards will still be trying to sue and impeach for everything under the Sun.

Not really. Everyone knew Kirk was randy as hell.

Ah, no, Wayne. The entire point of Uhura, Sulu, Scott, Chekov and especially Spock was to break the entire doctrine of fear of all white all the time and drive home the message that all people of every race (or planet) are equal, and can live together in peace and harmony toward a higher end than mere acquisition of wealth or power.

Yes, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was aimed straight at testing and breaking the racial boundary on TV, but Kirk didn't kiss her because he was "randy," he kissed her because he was being forced to by the people there where he was at.
Its a joke. I've probably forgotten more Star Trek than most people will ever know.

BTW, here is a hint. SF writers have been breaking the whole "white man" thing (a more self-hating phrase has never been uttered) since the early part of the last century.

Star Trek just put on film what was already going on in books.

Well, Bruce Maddox from "The Next Generation".

But I agree. It appears right now, that Picard needs to find her twin and discover if Maddox, (maybe a side plot of Maddox working with Data?) has managed to create human-like synthetics using that method (I just finished watching it and can't remember the term, sucks to get old) of reproducing neurons.

Forum List

Back