I predict Picard will be total garbage

LICK ME Moron, you don't know shit. Not about a damn thing you ever write. Not only was the 1970s a herald to a plethora or works you apparently don't know JACK about (which I own), not only to a ground-breaking Star Trek cartoon

Have you ever watched the Animated Series. "Oh my God, a Giant Spock!!!!" It was fucking silly.

William Shatner said he used to record his lines when he was on the Shitter... which seems appropriate.

but also the preamble to the release of a new Star Trek II TV series which dragged on for years due to contract disagreements, culminating in the release of the first Star Trek movie,

Point was, no one was interested in a second star trek series OR a movie until Star Wars showed there was money to be made. They pissed away a lot of money on the Motionless Picture, which was boring, none of the actors looked like they gave a fuck. What saved Star Trek was that some people who knew what they were doing ignored Roddenberry and made the Wrath of Khan on a budget. And they thought that was going to be the end of it until it made a shitload of money and they had to bring Spock back to life.

No one ever would have had the courage to film Star Wars and invest that kind of capital if not for the interest created by Star Trek over the decade preceding that.

Quit the contrary... Lucas had to fight a lot harder than Roddenberry did to get his vision on screen. Lucas is famous for having bucked the Studio system, creating a whole new era of independent production companies that changed the face of film.
Remember Galactica and Buck Rodgers? Even around 1980 or so the CGI was just not there in quality yet at an affordable price compared to a few years later. Why the movie production people constantly go away from what worked I do not understand? The original bridge of the original Enterprise was the masterpiece. Modernizing it from its 1960's look would be simple and it could look much the same.

They are raping a beloved franchise for cheap partisan points..

You think Kirk kissing Uhura wasn't making a point?

Fair point. A number of differences.

1. It was actually brave of them, at the time.

2. They did not do it at the expense of good story telling.

3. They did not insult their audience while doing so.

4. It was not a long standing franchise, with long term fans.

5. Making a point about equality for AMERICANS, is a big difference from making a point about equality for unwelcome foreigners or attacking a partisan figure for partisan points.
Correct. They were showing that in the future civilization had moved past viewing everything by a persons skin tone. They weren’t beating you over the head with their petty lectures about race.

The Animated series explored things not possible to do in the live TV series. So you didn't like one of them. The episodes tried to keep true to the original show. Some of them won awards. One of the best was The Slaver Weapon. I wish they had been drawn better and had been an hour long, but it was still unique in the annals of television.

The Slaver Weapon was Larry Niven picking up a quick buck by shoehorning a Known Space Story into Star Trek, which is how we got Kzinti in Star Fleet Battles. (UGH) Star Fleet Battles actually bought game rights from the Franz Josef Company which did the Technical Manual, which is just how little Paramount cared about the Trek Brand in the 1970's. Of course, after the movies were kick started by Star Wars (Lucas be Praised) Paramount suddenly cared about this little game company selling their little board game... litigation ensued.

Bill Shatner never said that of course. You have to go into a studio to record lines. Not only are you a liar, you're an idiot, a flaming asshole and a bottom feeding troll as always whose never had a single honest intelligent post here.

Sorry, man, he recorded them while he was pinching a "Captain's Log"

Star Trek: The Animated Series - Wikipedia

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, who were both touring in plays at the time, recorded their lines in whatever city they happened to be performing in and had the tapes shipped to the studio.[

The Animated series explored things not possible to do in the live TV series. So you didn't like one of them. The episodes tried to keep true to the original show. Some of them won awards. One of the best was The Slaver Weapon. I wish they had been drawn better and had been an hour long, but it was still unique in the annals of television.

The Slaver Weapon was Larry Niven picking up a quick buck by shoehorning a Known Space Story into Star Trek, which is how we got Kzinti in Star Fleet Battles. (UGH) Star Fleet Battles actually bought game rights from the Franz Josef Company which did the Technical Manual, which is just how little Paramount cared about the Trek Brand in the 1970's. Of course, after the movies were kick started by Star Wars (Lucas be Praised) Paramount suddenly cared about this little game company selling their little board game... litigation ensued.

Bill Shatner never said that of course. You have to go into a studio to record lines. Not only are you a liar, you're an idiot, a flaming asshole and a bottom feeding troll as always whose never had a single honest intelligent post here.

Sorry, man, he recorded them while he was pinching a "Captain's Log"

Star Trek: The Animated Series - Wikipedia

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, who were both touring in plays at the time, recorded their lines in whatever city they happened to be performing in and had the tapes shipped to the studio.[

We get it Joe. You are one of those yutzes that loves Star Wars and hates Star Trek because you don't have room in your heart to like both and just can't stand giving up any credit because you think it takes away from your pet.

We get it Joe. You are one of those yutzes that loves Star Wars and hates Star Trek because you don't have room in your heart to like both and just can't stand giving up any credit because you think it takes away from your pet.

Actually, I like Star Trek a bit better than Star Wars. I like Doctor Who better than either. (Although not so much recently since the Sex Change).

But I'm a realist. Sci-Fi was a nerd culture subset until Star Wars mainstreamed it.

A movie about lil ol' me?! Oh my!

Jean-Luc-Picard-on-the-flute.jpg
Looks like he's based on the michael meyers character Dr. Evil...minus the intellectual suave-ness of course :abgg2q.jpg:

Watched the whole first season today. Wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Could have done without the last 15-20 mintes of last episode, but otherwise a really good arc. Jeri Ryan is still smoking hot even at 52.

After watching the whole series, it was kind of "Meh".

I kind of like Trek better when it resolved stories in one episode rather than dragging it out over whole seasons like Discovery and Picard. (Deep Space Nine was actually a happy medium with contained stories but an overall plot arc).

I disliked that the Federation kind of turned into a bunch of assholes since Nemesis. I think it bastardized the concept. Alcoholic officers, liberal dropping of F-bombs, vast conspiracies.

A lot of the plot beats didn't make a lick of sense. The Tal Shiar (Romulan Secret Police) were the ones who were responsible for reprogramming the Androids to destroy the ships that were going to rescue Romulans after their sun exploded? That didn't make any sense at all. Nor did the Federation just giving up on the rescue.

Of course, Patrick Stewart is wonderful. He's one of those actors who could read the ingredients off the back of a shampoo bottle and make it sound interesting. But at 79, he just wasn't credible as an action hero. He wasn't credible as one in his sixties in the TNG movies, which replaced the thoughtful Picard of the TV show with Angry Action Man.

After watching the whole series, it was kind of "Meh".

I kind of like Trek better when it resolved stories in one episode rather than dragging it out over whole seasons like Discovery and Picard. (Deep Space Nine was actually a happy medium with contained stories but an overall plot arc).

I disliked that the Federation kind of turned into a bunch of assholes since Nemesis. I think it bastardized the concept. Alcoholic officers, liberal dropping of F-bombs, vast conspiracies.

A lot of the plot beats didn't make a lick of sense. The Tal Shiar (Romulan Secret Police) were the ones who were responsible for reprogramming the Androids to destroy the ships that were going to rescue Romulans after their sun exploded? That didn't make any sense at all. Nor did the Federation just giving up on the rescue.

Of course, Patrick Stewart is wonderful. He's one of those actors who could read the ingredients off the back of a shampoo bottle and make it sound interesting. But at 79, he just wasn't credible as an action hero. He wasn't credible as one in his sixties in the TNG movies, which replaced the thoughtful Picard of the TV show with Angry Action Man.

The whole point was him not to be an action hero. He said he wouldn't have done it if it were same crap new series.

Forum List

Back